The Student Room Group

Can bilinguals think in both of their languages?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by abc:)
Yes you can. It depends mainly on where you spend most of your time and which language you are using most. If you are in Spain speaking Spanish all the time you will think in Spanish more, whereas in England you will think more in English.

Personally my Spanish isn't good enough for this to happen; I always think in English. I have dreamed in Spanish though which was weird.

So a bilingual person in spanish and english would have the ability to think in 2 languages? Like they could just keep switching in their head?
I speak English and French, and usually I think in English as it's my first language, but sometimes when I'm in France or Switzerland for a while or have been speaking in French to people, I'll start to think in French. Very occasionally I dream in French as well.
Reply 182
Original post by lilixxx1000
I speak English and French, and usually I think in English as it's my first language, but sometimes when I'm in France or Switzerland for a while or have been speaking in French to people, I'll start to think in French. Very occasionally I dream in French as well.

What age did you learn English and French? Can you think in French when thinking on your own?
Original post by fg45344
What age did you learn English and French? Can you think in French when thinking on your own?

Well I was born in England to native French-speaking parents, so grew up speaking both simultaneously, although my English was better because of school etc. being in English. Yes I can, but as I said it's usually when I've been in a French speaking country for a while
Reply 184
Well I was born in England to native French-speaking parents, so grew up speaking both simultaneously, although my English was better because of school etc. being in English. Yes I can, but as I said it's usually when I've been in a French speaking country for a while

But you could force yourself to think in French when thinking on your own is what I mean, right? Like usually you think in English when thinking on your own, but this could be changed to French, right?

Can you think in any other language?
Original post by fg45344
But you could force yourself to think in French when thinking on your own is what I mean, right? Like usually you think in English when thinking on your own, but this could be changed to French, right?

Can you think in any other language?

Oh yeah if I made an active decision to think in French it wouldn't be a problem, it's just that naturally I tend to think in English.

The only langauge I have (very limited) knowledge of is German (did it to GCSE), so I guess I could try and think a little bit in German but it wouldn't be very productive thinking haha :P
Reply 186
Oh yeah if I made an active decision to think in French it wouldn't be a problem, it's just that naturally I tend to think in English.

The only langauge I have (very limited) knowledge of is German (did it to GCSE), so I guess I could try and think a little bit in German but it wouldn't be very productive thinking haha :P

So therefore you think in French and English, right?
Reply 187
Original post by fg45344
So a bilingual person in spanish and english would have the ability to think in 2 languages? Like they could just keep switching in their head?

Of course, if they wanted to. What would come naturally though would be whatever language they are using most at that point in time. After a holiday in England, for example, a bilingual Spaniard might be thinking more in English.

If you use both languages a lot you find that odd words from each language will pop up in your head.
you think in english or urdu in your head?
Original post by fg45344
So therefore you think in French and English, right?

Yeah I do, just more in English than in French.
I am a bangladeshi and I think in english. fml.
Reply 191
Original post by mrahim
I am a bangladeshi and I think in english. fml.

What other languages can you think in?
Original post by fg45344
What other languages can you think in?

No other language.
Reply 193
Original post by mrahim
No other language.

Really, you can't think in Bengali?
Original post by fg45344
Really, you can't think in Bengali?

Depends on who I am talking to. COrrect answer is billingual people fluent in both languages change their default based on who they are talking to.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
you think in english or urdu in your head?

Definitely English, I think I'm more fluent in English. How about you?
Reply 196
Original post by undercxver
Definitely English, I think I'm more fluent in English. How about you?

But can you think in Urdu if you wanted to?
Original post by fg45344
But can you think in Urdu if you wanted to?

Yeah I guess so? I think in Urdu if I'm speaking in Urdu.
Reply 198
Original post by undercxver
Yeah I guess so? I think in Urdu if I'm speaking in Urdu.

Can you think in Urdu when thinking on your own?
Original post by fg45344
Can you think in Urdu when thinking on your own?

Ummm I don't think I do. How about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending