The Student Room Group

The Scottish Football Thread

Doesn't seem to be one, so here we go. I'm a Rangers fan, happy to have civil conversations with Celtic fans, let's not turn it ugly. English people allowed too to tell us how **** our league is, pub football etc etc, keep it civil too also though :smile:

Going to be a great season ahead. Both sides of the Old Firm brought in some good names. Obviously Rangers' first season back in the top flight. Both clubs have top managers in Rodgers and Warburton and seen Joey Barton, Niko Kranjcar and Moussa Dembele come into the league.

See how teams like Aberdeen and Hearts do this season also, personally think Celtic and Rangers will be comfortably top 2 straight away though.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I knew there was something lacking in this forum,just couldn't think what it was.

Look,Ill be honest -the main interest I have in Scottish football is because I'm a betting man-ante post - and many bookies have far higher limits on the Scottish second division than say the Dutch league. Rediculous really but there you are.

So I'm in.

Tell me more about Rangers. What's their chances of winning the league? That's the key question right now. How close to Celtic do you expect them to get?

Are Celtic as bad as they seem? What about Hearts. Have they bought anyone? Will Hibs win the Championship?

Why is everyone on Pie and Bovril tipping Stranraer?

Good luck for the season unless I'm on Celtic.

Cheers
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Oh yes. I'd also be grateful for any thoughts on who is the worse team in the Scottish Premiership this season?

Why are Inverness only 6-1 (or less even) to be relegated?

Are Hamilton worthy favourites? Who has lost the most players/has the biggest financial problems (not including Rangers -ha just a wee joke. I know. You're a completely different company now:wink:)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by moggis
I knew there was something lacking in this forum,just couldn't think what it was.

Look,Ill be honest -the main interest I have in Scottish football is because I'm a betting man-ante post - and many bookies have far higher limits in the Scottish second division than say the Dutch league. Rediculous really but there you are.

So I'm in.

Tell me more about Rangers. What's their chances of winning the league? That's the key question right now. How close to Celtic do you expect them to get?

Are Celtic as bad as they seem? What about Hearts. Have they bought anyone? Will Hibs win the Championship?

Why is everyone on Pie and Bovril tipping Stranraer?

Good luck for the season unless I'm on Celtic.

Cheers

I think Rangers have a decent chance, I think they'll definitely compete, whether we manage to do it this season is too early to tell. I'm confident of top 2, and I think we'll challenge.

Since Rangers appointed Mark Warburton and got the new board in we've gone on leaps and bounds. We play the most attractive football in Scotland, got a good squad of players and got to the Scottish Cup final last season, knocking Celtic out too. This season we've already added Joey Barton and Niko Kranjcar along with 5/6 other players. Say what you want about Barton, he's a great signing for Rangers and Kranjcar has been a class act already in his 2 games. Only concern is fitness and attitude and Warburton won't let those slip, extremely rigourous training programmes, diets etc at the club. Also signed Rossiter from Liverpool, extremely highly rated and England U19 captain and Joe Dodoo from Leicester, good young striker, scored 4 in 4 in the cup for them last season. Also Waghorn who scored a lot for us last season.

Moving on to Celtic, trying to be as impartial as possible. They've brought Brendan Rodgers in which is a great appointment and have far more spending power than Rangers. Not to mention already having a squad that have been dominating the Premiership for 4/5 years now. Great young signing in Dembele for them as well, and have Griffiths who scored 30 odd goals last season. Still have Roberts on loan from Man City too.

I think the big thing this summer is how much Celtic spend and who they bring in. Rangers spent roughly £1m on 8 players, mostly frees and compensation, but done it well with Barton, Kranjcar, Rossiter etc. Celtic can spend triple that on a single player so we'll need to wait and see. Genuinely think we have the 2 best players in Scotland right now. Rangers problem is defence, our two fullbacks bomb forward and centre backs are poor. Still to sign a centre back, could make or break our season.

Hibs and Dundee Utd will be battling for the Championship.

Not been following Hearts and Aberdeen's progress greatly, Hearts signed someone today but don't know anything about him, those two will push as normal but never truly threaten probably.
Subbed. Admittedly the Old Firm is the only reason I take interest in Scottish football. Glad it's back.
Reply 5
Kolo Toure having a medical at Celtic
Can't wait for the Old Firms (I'm English by the way). Barton vs Brown vs Halliday. Roberts vs Tavernier. Love it.
Reply 7
Original post by AndrewSCO
I think Rangers have a decent chance, I think they'll definitely compete, whether we manage to do it this season is too early to tell. I'm confident of top 2, and I think we'll challenge.

Since Rangers appointed Mark Warburton and got the new board in we've gone on leaps and bounds. We play the most attractive football in Scotland, got a good squad of players and got to the Scottish Cup final last season, knocking Celtic out too. This season we've already added Joey Barton and Niko Kranjcar along with 5/6 other players. Say what you want about Barton, he's a great signing for Rangers and Kranjcar has been a class act already in his 2 games. Only concern is fitness and attitude and Warburton won't let those slip, extremely rigourous training programmes, diets etc at the club. Also signed Rossiter from Liverpool, extremely highly rated and England U19 captain and Joe Dodoo from Leicester, good young striker, scored 4 in 4 in the cup for them last season. Also Waghorn who scored a lot for us last season.

Moving on to Celtic, trying to be as impartial as possible. They've brought Brendan Rodgers in which is a great appointment and have far more spending power than Rangers. Not to mention already having a squad that have been dominating the Premiership for 4/5 years now. Great young signing in Dembele for them as well, and have Griffiths who scored 30 odd goals last season. Still have Roberts on loan from Man City too.

I think the big thing this summer is how much Celtic spend and who they bring in. Rangers spent roughly £1m on 8 players, mostly frees and compensation, but done it well with Barton, Kranjcar, Rossiter etc. Celtic can spend triple that on a single player so we'll need to wait and see. Genuinely think we have the 2 best players in Scotland right now. Rangers problem is defence, our two fullbacks bomb forward and centre backs are poor. Still to sign a centre back, could make or break our season.

Hibs and Dundee Utd will be battling for the Championship.

Not been following Hearts and Aberdeen's progress greatly, Hearts signed someone today but don't know anything about him, those two will push as normal but never truly threaten probably.

Thx.

In the last couple of days I've been reading as much preseason speculatory material as I can get my hands on and if I could sum it up in a few words I think it would be that you could well be right in most of what you've said.

In fact I read today that Barton should be the most influential player in the Scot Prem this season. Also the two Accrington players shouldn't be underestimed.

I've left it too long to bet on Rangers at value prices but nevertheless I'm going to have a wee bet on them and see how the first OF game goes.

In case anyone else is interested I've also read that,

Aberdeen are nailed on for third

Hamilton and Killie are the two worst teams

St Johnstone are good things for top 6 again

Stranraer are all the rage because they finished very well and have a decent squad but Alloa should beat them

Falkirk could give Hibs and United a run for their money but Hibs should prevail even though Murray of Utd is a great bet for top scorer

Only 3 days to go now ! I cannae wait!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Finally a thread on Scottish football. Made a Celtic thread but seems I'm the only Tim on here haha.
Reply 9
Celtic will win the league again. I don't think the zombies will finish higher than 3rd; you couldn't finish above Hearts in the championship, and with ourselves and Aberdeen around aswell it will be a much harder season than expected.
Reply 10
Original post by M67
Celtic will win the league again. I don't think the zombies will finish higher than 3rd; you couldn't finish above Hearts in the championship, and with ourselves and Aberdeen around aswell it will be a much harder season than expected.

Celtic are favourites but not certainties. Think we will definitely finish top 2.

Also, compare the squads from that season we lost to Hearts and this season, it's absolutely night and day. Literally only 1 player remains from that squad and that is Lee Wallace.
Reply 11
Celtic are favourites but not certainties. Think we will definitely finish top 2.

Also, compare the squads from that season we lost to Hearts and this season, it's absolutely night and day. Literally only 1 player remains from that squad and that is Lee Wallace.

Don't think you'll finish ahead of Aberdeen. You definitely won't finish ahead of us. You certainty would have done better in Europe than Hearts though.
Reply 12
Original post by M67
Don't think you'll finish ahead of Aberdeen. You definitely won't finish ahead of us. You certainty would have done better in Europe than Hearts though.

The calibre of players we have brought in will definitely take us above Aberdeen. And we're going to run you guys closer than you think/care to admit. I guess we'll just have to wait and see :smile:
Reply 13
The calibre of players we have brought in will definitely take us above Aberdeen. And we're going to run you guys closer than you think/care to admit. I guess we'll just have to wait and see :smile:

Yes we will. All kicks off again tomorrow; how I'd love a Donati last minute winner. Going to be a good season this hopefully.
Reply 14
Rangers drew their first game against Hamilton 1-1 :frown: Waghorn going to out for a while as well, we played the last 15 minutes with 10 men after he pulled a hamstring.
Exciting first half to the Hearts-Celtic game. Absolutely loved Rossi's goal line clearance and celebration afterwards. I love it when defenders celebrate defending like they've scored a goal.
Reply 16
Been a good game so far. Both teams could easily win this, expecting more goals 2nd half.

Hopefully from hearts :wink:
Wouldn't be surprised to see someone sent off. There seems to have been a fair few yellow cards picked up and it has, at times, been a feisty game.
Been a good game so far. Both teams could easily win this, expecting more goals 2nd half.
Hopefully from hearts :wink:

no way, do u support hearts :shock:
Reply 19
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
no way, do u support hearts :shock:

Lol no, support Rangers, which I why I wanted Celtic to lose :frown:

But they didn't, sigh

Quick Reply

Latest