The Student Room Group

Women who breastfeed in the House of Commons chamber.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/22/women-who-breastfeed-in-the-house-of-commons-chamber-are-exhibit/

This is frankly absurd.

Away from the "women breastfeed - get over it" argument put forward by the late Jo Cox MP, in such a professional environment it is beyond a lack of decency.

Although I wouldn't personally call it "exhibitionist" or "voyeuristic", it surely is something that should be in more private areas.

Scroll to see replies

It is simply unprofessional to be breastfeeding in the House of Commons chamber. Babies should not be allowed in there. MPs should stop being politically correct by invoking a point of order by shouting 'I spy strangers', which the Speaker must then put forward the motion: 'that strangers do now withdraw' and the babies should be expelled from the Chamber.
(edited 7 years ago)
I am just really 50/50 on this.

The baby needs food. Then let it be fed!!!
It is frankly ridiculous and unprofessional.
Original post by urbanlocations

Many years ago, something amazing was invented called a bottle.

There are special rooms where the babies can be breastfed. There is absolutely no need for MPs to be breastfeeding in the House of Commons Chamber during a debate.
Reply 6

I have nothing against a baby being fed by its mother, it's natural and needed.

I am, however, firmly against feeding a baby in such a professional environment. There are hundreds of other, more private places to do it.
Reply 7
It's unprofessional. Do it somewhere private.
Original post by The_Opinion

Many years ago, something amazing was invented for babies to feed from called a breast. It's usually men who complain about breastfeeding in public. Breasts are for feeding children.
Reply 9
Original post by The_Opinion

The argument against that is that a baby being fed directly from the breast is better.
The problem with this isn't the woman breast feeding - she has every right to do that and if you're uncomfortable with that then you need to get a grip.

It's the fact that someone would bring their baby into the house of commons - why?
Why the hell are there children there in the first place? :confused:
Original post by The Roast
The argument against that is that a baby being fed directly from the breast is better.

How exactly? You can still put breast milk in a bottle.
Reply 13
Many years ago, something amazing was invented for babies to feed from called a breast. It's usually men who complain about breastfeeding in public. Breasts are for feeding children.

To paraphrase the original article:

Would you be fine with a cashier or estate agent breastfeeding her child in front of you?
Reply 14
Original post by richpanda
How exactly? You can still put breast milk in a bottle.

I know you can!

I'm just saying that it's apparently more natural to feed from the breast, and according to some research it has benefits for the baby a bottle can't give.
Reply 15
Original post by george_c00per
The problem with this isn't the woman breast feeding - she has every right to do that and if you're uncomfortable with that then you need to get a grip.

It's the fact that someone would bring their baby into the house of commons - why?

My stance exactly!

It's common sense really.
My stance exactly!

It's common sense really.

It would be like if you went to a shop and the assistant was preparing food for his/herself behind the counter :biggrin:
To paraphrase the original article:

Would you be fine with a cashier or estate agent breastfeeding her child in front of you?

That's a little different really?

I just think a lot of men are Anti breastfeeding for the simple fact that breasts are seemed as sexual.
I think they shouldn't do it in the chamber, go to a toilet and do it.
Reply 19
That's a little different really?

I just think a lot of men are Anti breastfeeding for the simple fact that breasts are seemed as sexual.

It's still a professional setting.

I'm not anti-breastfeeding lol!

I'm anti-public display of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending