The Student Room Group

REALISTICALLY Can Anyone Stop ISIS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamesthehustler
well the first way would be to stop the US helping them out
giving them guns (basically) and money or valuable liquid assets

Except the US does not help them out, nor do they supply them with weapons or funding.
Original post by Jawsomesauce35
Just curious to see what people think because right now I don't think anyone can. But I'm open to other ideas. I'll do a poll to spice up the thread as well so just vote if you don't feel like replying.

The media by not covering it. Alas, that won't happen.
Stopping ISIS is only the beginning!

When ISIS is driven out, Iraq especially will still be set 10 years back. It will be like 2006-2007 with a massive underground insurgency building up. (I.e Fallujah 05' 06' 07':wink:. ISIS will not stop existing just because their militia structure and their military orgnanization has been broken.

The US has also done a massive silly mistake, once again. They decided to support some random rebel group that is supposedly "moderate" who they know nothing about. That worked out really well in the past when the armed the Mujahideen with FIM-92s in the 1980's........Good thing that these same Mujahideen didnt turn against US troops in the afghanistan war in 2001. They learned nothing from the past. And the worst part of it all is that they failed at supporting that rebel group in the first place. They wanted to train hundreds of fighters, and managed to train abotu 10 by mid-2015-

The US should either support the Syrian military or stay the hell out of the conflict. At least the Syrian military is a conventional army, and not some underground insurgency group. I dont know about you, but Id rather have an enemy with conventional organization rather than an enemy who uses guerilla warfare tactics......

The region will remain unstable for years to come.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RF_PineMarten
Except the US does not help them out, nor do they supply them with weapons or funding.

how about the 500,000 guns stolen about six months before isis were making headlines traveling by rail in iraq with not additional security
and not little smith and western handguns either mainly H+K MP5's and colt M4 carbine rifles along with several pieces of classified heavy equptment
Original post by Tempest II
Sure the US is helping them out... By dropping 2000 pound guided bombs on them.

read my bit on guns it common knowledge if you search it online back from early 2012 or late 2011 due to the delays in release of such data
how about the 500,000 guns stolen about six months before isis were making headlines traveling by rail in iraq with not additional security
and not little smith and western handguns either mainly H+K MP5's and colt M4 carbine rifles along with several pieces of classified heavy equptment

read my bit on guns it common knowledge if you search it online back from early 2012 or late 2011 due to the delays in release of such data

The US has supplied equipment to some Syrian rebel groups, but not to ISIS. ISIS have obtained those sorts of weapons by capturing them, particularly from the Iraqi army as well as some of those rebel groups I mentioned. The US has never supplied equipment to ISIS - they've supplied them to the Iraqi army and some Syrian rebels, and they've made their way to ISIS from there.

And some small arms can be smuggled in, as they are available on the black market all over the region.
Original post by Jawsomesauce35
Just curious to see what people think because right now I don't think anyone can. But I'm open to other ideas. I'll do a poll to spice up the thread as well so just vote if you don't feel like replying.

As long as there are two guys calling themselves ISIS they will always be there. But if you're talking in more practical terms, yes, they are CURRENTLY being destroyed. They keep losing resources and territory in Syria. They are stepping up their terror game abroad, especially in Europe, but after they have lost all resources in Syria, Libya and Iraq that'll be resolved. They'll only be another terrorist group like Al Quaida, committing small attacks in different countries and maybe a large one every couple of years.
Original post by jeremy1988
They can, but they lack the will. It's more an issue of Western countries being unwilling to stop them for ethical reasons than being unable.

I mean, we could go in and kill every person living in these countries indiscriminately with bombs if we were determined, and that would kill ISIS. But that would be ethically and morally unacceptable to most people. And they've nestled themselves amongst non-combatants so completely and thoroughly in a spread out fashion that the only way to be sure of getting them all is to destroy an entire population of people. So it's possible but unrealistic.

Another possibility would be committing ground troops, but that's also unrealistic unless there are several more 9/11 style terrorist attacks that kill thousands at once. Democratic countries are very reluctant to commit ground troops.

It would probably be more desirable to simply contain ISIS and keep their operatives out of Western countries.

None of this is, as you pointed out, realistic. The OP is asking for realistic measures.
Original post by oShahpo
None of this is, as you pointed out, realistic. The OP is asking for realistic measures.

I think the third one, containing ISIS, will be realistic eventually. We may not be able to completely stop them in the Middle East, but we can stop them at home once the population has had enough of these terrorist attacks by trying to keep ISIS in the Middle East.

I think it's equally unrealistic to posit that people in the West will accept this as the new normal and live with whatever ISIS demands in order to keep the peace. Something will tip the scales towards an unpalatable solution sooner or later, when living with terrorism becomes more unpleasant and intolerable than doing something about it.
(edited 7 years ago)
No one will stop ISIS as long as western society is so afraid to offend people with their decisions.
as long as they can create even the smallest amount of terror or anger directed at the racial profile of the terrorists themselves. There ideology becomes untouchable thus endlessly inspiring people to continue the attacks in there name. so no they cant be stopped short of destroying most of the middle east. at least not by one person
JUST NUKE THEM!

Have they done enough already... Lets nuke the country's they operate and take advantage of. After all most people have fleed from the areas ISIS controls so it just leaves ISIS to reign strong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending