The Student Room Group

How to apply to uni after gap year?

Hi there
So i didnt get the grades i needed to my chosen course at uni, and im determined to do it at uni thats why ive decided to take a gap year so that when i do really well in my A2s i can apply the following year to uni. Can someone please run me through the procedures to how this works, like how do i reapply the year after with ucas and do i still need to apply this year? thanks
Original post by blueriver
Hi there
So i didnt get the grades i needed to my chosen course at uni, and im determined to do it at uni thats why ive decided to take a gap year so that when i do really well in my A2s i can apply the following year to uni. Can someone please run me through the procedures to how this works, like how do i reapply the year after with ucas and do i still need to apply this year? thanks

A gap year qualification is very similar to one in Yr 13.

If you're just entering Yr 13 then I would STRONGLY recommend that you apply this year (maybe to other courses or universities) even if you have no intention of going - you can easily just not accept any offers you receive. It will give you the experience of going through the UCAS system with the support of your college/sixth form before you apply independently after you finish your A levels.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=3049-applying-to-uni should be a good starting point to find out what is involved - the awkward part of applying post-results is arranging a reference (and putting together a PS if you've never done it before and have no support).
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
A gap year qualification is very similar to one in Yr 13.

If you're just entering Yr 13 then I would STRONGLY recommend that you apply this year (maybe to other courses or universities) even if you have no intention of going - you can easily just not accept any offers you receive. It will give you the experience of going through the UCAS system with the support of your college/sixth form before you apply independently after you finish your A levels.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=3049-applying-to-uni should be a good starting point to find out what is involved - the awkward part of applying post-results is arranging a reference (and putting together a PS if you've never done it before and have no support).

Thank you :smile: if i apply this year but say for example i get AAA in my A2 can i go through to a better course/ uni through clearing? instead of taking a gap year
Thank you :smile: if i apply this year but say for example i get AAA in my A2 can i go through to a better course/ uni through clearing? instead of taking a gap year

You are thinking of Adjustment, and to do that you have to meet and exceed the terms of your firm offer, whatever it is. If you have no offers, you can't use it, and if you firmly accept an unconditional offer, you can't either. Otherwise, yes, you could.
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You are thinking of Adjustment, and to do that you have to meet and exceed the terms of your firm offer, whatever it is. If you have no offers, you can't use it, and if you firmly accept an unconditional offer, you can't either. Otherwise, yes, you could.

do you have to get offers? what if you get rejected from all of them? also say you got an offer from hull but you did exceptionally better than what they require, can i still apply for adjustment at a Russell group uni such as Durham (in which i meet their requirements?)

thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
do you have to get offers? what if you get rejected from all of them? also say you got an offer from hull but you did exceptionally better than what they require, can i still apply for adjustment at a Russell group uni such as Durham (in which i meet their requirements?)

thank you

If you have no offers, then yes, you will be in Clearing and can apply for whatever course you find for which you meet the requirements. However, I don't understand what you mean about having an offer from Hull. If you have an offer from Hull and you exceed the terms of your offer, then you can apply to somewhere else that is in Adjustment, as I said. If you don't have an offer from Hull, you're in Clearing. You can't apply for Adjustment from a course you have just got onto from Clearing, if that's what you mean.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If you have no offers, then yes, you will be in Clearing and can apply for whatever course you find for which you meet the requirements. However, I don't understand what you mean about having an offer from Hull. If you have an offer from Hull and you exceed the terms of your offer, then you can apply to somewhere else that is in Adjustment, as I said. If you don't have an offer from Hull, you're in Clearing. You can't apply for Adjustment from a course you have just got onto from Clearing, if that's what you mean.

I wanted to do biochem at a russel group uni however i didnt get the predicted grades i needed (all my subjects were internal exams) can you please help me in what steps i should take next i.e how to apply and should i get in through clearing ... im determined to get the grades next year and i know im capable of AAA
I wanted to do biochem at a russel group uni however i didnt get the predicted grades i needed (all my subjects were internal exams) can you please help me in what steps i should take next i.e how to apply and should i get in through clearing ... im determined to get the grades next year and i know im capable of AAA

It's all here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=3049-applying-to-uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending