The Student Room Group

Miami police shoot caretaker of autistic man playing with toy truck in the street

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lord Samosa
They tried shooting a white autistic man... I thinks that's enough reason to complain about how incompetent the US police are. It's just more ridiculous when try to defend them when they do reckless **** like this.

It only fuels the BLM movement, that wouldn't be there if the US police force weren't so reckless.

:erm: Let me just take this kool aid from you, sir...

Ok so this one case that random officer missed and hit a black dude. And? He was called to the scene because there was a gun allegedly. Why are you defending criminals like? Because 9/10 that's who's getting involved with the police, no? Are police just sat in bushes shooting at every black person walking by?

No one is denying they get away with **** at times, but people do tip toe around the fact that the average non black cop just might be racist, forget incompetence. Because even if they were incompetent, if they're not racist individuals then this disproportionate black shooting stuff couldn't be true, if it even is. Because it's certainly not in every precinct an oath to shoot black people more, come the **** on man.

Again like I said (this isn't a theory; it's googleable information, pal): there is written law that excuses cops in US. So attack the justice system. Not hollering outside of random police stations just because some struggling website mentioned he was black to get more views so they can get money off your misplaced emotions and fallacies? :toofunny:

The only thing being ..."fuelled" is a rift between cops and blacks. Have you heard of the LA Riots of 92? You want then yea? Anyway I'm going for lunch! :colonhash:
Original post by 0to100
:erm: Let me just take this kool aid from you, sir...

Ok so this one case that random officer missed and hit a black dude. And? He was called to the scene because there was a gun allegedly. Why are you defending criminals like? Because 9/10 that's who's getting involved with the police, no? Are police just sat in bushes shooting at every black person walking by?

No one is denying they get away with **** at times, but people do tip toe around the fact that the average non black cop just might be racist, forget incompetence. Because even if they were incompetent, if they're not racist individuals then this disproportionate black shooting stuff couldn't be true, if it even is. Because it's certainly not in every precinct an oath to shoot black people more, come the **** on man.

Again like I said (this isn't a theory; it's googleable information, pal): there is written law that excuses cops in US. So attack the justice system. Not hollering outside of random police stations just because some struggling website mentioned he was black to get more views so they can get money off your misplaced emotions and fallacies? :toofunny:

The only thing being ..."fuelled" is a rift between cops and blacks. Have you heard of the LA Riots of 92? You want then yea? Anyway I'm going for lunch! :colonhash:

Once again:

They tried shooting a white autistic man, once at the scene they could see he didn't have a gun, were explained about the situation clearly by the man's carer, still tried to shoot him, missed, but still handcuffed the guy they "accidentally" shot and held him down for 20 minutes.

When did I defend a criminal?
Once again:

They tried shooting a white autistic man, once at the scene they could see he didn't have a gun, were explained about the situation clearly by the man's carer, still tried to shoot him, missed, but still handcuffed the guy they "accidentally" shot and held him down for 20 minutes.

When did I defend a criminal?

Once again what :lol:

Why do you keep italicising white autistic man? You're so lost op lmao

Did you miss the part that there was a gun sighted? Or are you too busy being a social justice warrior? Trying to find purpose in your life or what man? Yes he was detained? So? Any cop who takes a random guy's word for it that he's innocent despite being called to check on him is the incompetent one actually. Anyone who defends BLM arbitrarily is defending criminals, hence what I said before about cops not popping out the bushes shooting any random black person, but instead, known or suspected criminals. You want them to stop doing that because you want to keep up with your social media trends? Ahh anyway hopefully when I come back from the cinema you'll have figured this out clearly :console: Bye now...
Original post by 0to100
Once again what :lol:

Why do you keep italicising white autistic man? You're so lost op lmao

Did you miss the part that there was a gun sighted? Or are you too busy being a social justice warrior? Trying to find purpose in your life or what man? Yes he was detained? So? Any cop who takes a random guy's word for it that he's innocent despite being called to check on him is the incompetent one actually. Anyone who defends BLM arbitrarily is defending criminals, hence what I said before about cops not popping out the bushes shooting any random black person, but instead, known or suspected criminals. You want them to stop doing that because you want to keep up with your social media trends? Ahh anyway hopefully when I come back from the cinema you'll have figured this out clearly :console: Bye now...

But you can't say this incident was justified.

Let's try and get on the same page here:

I'm talking about this incident. Not the BLM in general, I know in most cases the person shot was a criminal, whether they deserved to be shot is another debate, but it's understandable why the cops would be on their toes in those incidents. But here it was unnecessary. (And only riles up BLM activists)

And of course, the BLM movement doesn't help itself when they do protests in the UK, where we don't really have this issue I think. I'm not a die hard BLM activist. :lol:
But you can't say this incident was justified.

Last time I speak to you about this today:
Yes I can and already have. It was an accident and you fell for the clickbait title.

Let's try and get on the same page here:

No we're literally on the same page since you finally admitted this:

I know in most cases the person shot was a criminal, whether they deserved to be shot is another debate, but it's understandable why the cops would be on their toes in those incidents. But here it was unnecessary. (And only riles up BLM activists)

And of course, the BLM movement doesn't help itself when they do protests in the UK, where we don't really have this issue I think. I'm not a die hard BLM activist. :lol:

Ta. Save some samosas for me whatever those are :ciao:
Original post by oShahpo
My knowledge of history is as good as my knowledge of arcane magic, so I don't know if there were other examples.

Fortunately mine is not, and I can tell you that Greeks and Egyptians were not living together.
So, wait, I'm just going to point something out here. I'm not excusing that cop's stupidity for one second, but are we even sure he was shooting at the black guy? His patient is sitting more-or-less right in front of him by barely a foot, and the cop fired from about 20 yards away and hit the therapist in the leg. If he just happened to hit the other guy in the leg (which could have happened very easily at that distance), I feel the headlines and the outrage would've been entirely different. "Cop shoots unarmed autistic man."

I'm certainly calling this a case of incompetence and criminal neglect, but I think we're jumping to conclusions on the race thing again. Racism is cited EVERY time an unarmed black person happens to get shot. Are there no other reasons? Why do unarmed white and Hispanic people get shot? Just a thought.
Reply 47
Original post by Dandaman1
So, wait, I'm just going to point something out here. I'm not excusing that cop's stupidity for one second, but are we even sure he was shooting at the black guy? His patient is sitting more-or-less right in front of him by barely a foot, and the cop fired from about 20 yards away and hit the therapist in the leg. If he just happened to hit the other guy in the leg (which could have happened very easily at that distance), I feel the headlines and the outrage would've been entirely different. "Cop shoots unarmed autistic man."

I'm certainly calling this a case of incompetence and criminal neglect, but I think we're jumping to conclusions on the race thing again. Racism is cited EVERY time an unarmed black person happens to get shot. Are there no other reasons? Why do unarmed white and Hispanic people get shot? Just a thought.

The report states the officer was aiming at the autistic man
Original post by joecphillips

Well there we go.

I've been watching YouTube videos about this incident and reading comments, all of which were crying "Racism!" "This is why #BlackLivesMatter exists!" "Racism is real, y'all" And the whole time I felt like the only one who actually watched the video carefully.

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with these knee-jerk reactions from people.

Original post by Dandaman1
Well there we go.

I've been watching YouTube videos about this incident and reading comments, all of which were crying "Racism!" "This is why #BlackLivesMatter exists!" "Racism is real, y'all" And the whole time I felt like the only one who actually watched the video carefully.

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with these knee-jerk reactions from people.

My issue is the fact they held the man down in handcuffs after they shot him. The same man who held his hands up, tried to cooperate and explain the situation to the policemen. They really could've gone about that in a better manner.
Reply 50
My issue is the fact they held the man down in handcuffs after they shot him. The same man who held his hands up, tried to cooperate and explain the situation to the policemen. They really could've gone about that in a better manner.

I think that is just what they are trained to do.

Well then...

I'm glad I don't live in America :lol:

They could have tried helping with the bleeding though :/
Reply 53
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Abhorrent, obviously. There is not much else to be said about this instance; I suppose there is the small mercy that it was not fatal this time. But I take issue with BLM because I think the underlying problem is police brutality, not institutional racism. As you say, the US police being too "trigger happy". I think this is the case with all races.

k.

Black Boys Viewed as Older, Less Innocent Than Whites, Research Finds

WASHINGTON Black boys as young as 10 may not be viewed in the same light of childhood innocence as their white peers, but are instead more likely to be mistaken as older, be perceived as guilty and face police violence if accused of a crime, according to new research published by the American Psychological Association.

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2014/03/black-boys-older.aspx
Reply 54
Original post by 0to100
:nothing: do you seriously think (and keeping in mind there are nonwhite officers) that there is some conspiracy going around, like a written oath or something, demanding officers kill black people :nothing:

Why must they be a written oath? Many police officers like most americans have antiblack unconscious (sometimes even conscious) bias.

ACTUALLY on the subject of conspiracy. Several brave NYPD officers have come forward to expose institutionalised racism in the context of their department pressuring them to target minority groups.

[video="youtube;rJ8C885GCbc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ8C885GCbc[/video]

I welcome you to listen to this recording of a supervisor pressuring NYPD cop to profile black citizens.

http://usuncut.com/black-lives-matter/nypd-racial-profiling-recording/

At this point, denial of institutional racism in the police force is just wilful ignorance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Truths
k.

I don't deny that unconscious and conscious biases exist. But I am saying that the primary problem is police brutality. Many of these policemen seem unprepared for remotely pressured situations and very quick to shoot first and ask questions later. We don't get the outrage or media coverage of it, but plenty of unarmed white people have been shot by police as well. There may well be two problems to tackle: the propensity to use entirely incommensurate, often lethal, force, and the fact that policemen have unconscious racial biases. Tackling the former first would seem like the best avenue to reducing such completely unnecessary loss of life.
I do hear the US army is terrible. My dad met an Iraqi refugee years ago (who fled Iraq after Bush invaded Iraq), and was talking about how the US army were terrible and treated every Iraqi like ****. Whereas, he was full of praise of the British Army, and how they treated the Iraqi people with respect and actually helped them.

The UK are guilty of some atrocities but yes, their armed forces are considerably more disciplined than the US'.

The same also applies to their police force.
Reply 57
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I don't deny that unconscious and conscious biases exist. But I am saying that the primary problem is police brutality. Many of these policemen seem unprepared for remotely pressured situations and very quick to shoot first and ask questions later. We don't get the outrage or media coverage of it, but plenty of unarmed white people have been shot by police as well. There may well be two problems to tackle: the propensity to use entirely incommensurate, often lethal, force, and the fact that policemen have unconscious racial biases. Tackling the former first would seem like the best avenue to reducing such completely unnecessary loss of life.

Then you clearly haven't been paying attention to their platform.

http://www.joincampaignzero.org/#vision
Reply 58
Original post by Truths
Then you clearly haven't been paying attention to their platform.

http://www.joincampaignzero.org/#vision

I just read Step 1 and that will increase crime and stop and frisk Works, why do you want to abandon a tactic that has helped reduce crime?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 59
I just read Step 1 and that will increase crime and stop and frisk Works, why do you want to abandon a tactic that has helped reduce crime?

It didn't help reduce crime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending