The Student Room Group

What did you choose?

What subjects did you choose for your A levels, and what do you think was the hardest subject and why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amelia76
What subjects did you choose for your A levels, and what do you think was the hardest subject and why?

Chem
French
Maths
Physics

Physics and maths joint hardest even tho people say chem I don't find it that bad
Physics - new A-level exams were shet
Maths - M1 was shet for me (shet teacher)wbu?
Reply 2
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Chem
French
Maths
Physics

Physics and maths joint hardest even tho people say chem I don't find it that bad
Physics - new A-level exams were shet
Maths - M1 was shet for me (shet teacher)wbu?

Well I'm going into A levels this September and I hopefully want to take:

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Psychology

How do you recommend me to revise for chem since your taking it.
Well I'm going into A levels this September and I hopefully want to take:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Psychology
How do you recommend me to revise for chem since your taking it.

Take good notes in class and write them up
Do tons of past paper questions (especially multiple choice - weren't that many for me but should be lots for you - take advantage of them mademoiselle :biggrin: )Quizlet/memrise is good for definitions as there are lots of those
Just pls dont do that much work in your summer now
Treasure your summer whilst you have one
Please! :adore:
#CheeseOut
If you have any more questions, feel free to fire zem at meh! :biggrin:
Mathematics
Further mathematics
Economics
Physics

Physics I dropped because the practical exams were too picky with mark schemes and teacher was shite.
M2, S1 and D1 were my hardest maths modules.
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
English Literature

The hardest I think was either English, because of the amount of time you need to put into it, and Biology because the mark schemes are so specific and you can't ramble on at all. In saying that though I really enjoyed all of my subjects, Chemistry was probably the biggest challenge but I loved it so I didn't mind putting the time into it to understand concepts :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Geography
History
English Language
I.T (Dropped at A2)

I would say that Geography turned out to be the hardest just because of the sheer amount of content you had to remember
(edited 7 years ago)
I took: (as grades in brackets)
Geography (A)
Biology (B)
Chemistry (A)
Psychology (B) (resat this year to get an A hopefully)

Psychology was by far my hardest at AS; the volume of information they expect you to know is ridiculous.
Geography was probably my hardest at A2; it took me a while to master the essay structure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Psychology is one subject I'm hopefully going to take this September, my memory kind of sucks so what do you suggest i do to remember stuff? and how did you revise for this subject and what revision method did you find most to work?
Reply 9
Original post by coboyle098
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
English Literature

The hardest I think was either English, because of the amount of time you need to put into it, and Biology because the mark schemes are so specific and you can't ramble on at all. In saying that though I really enjoyed all of my subjects, Chemistry was probably the biggest challenge but I loved it so I didn't mind putting the time into it to understand concepts :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you revise for bio and chem?
Reply 10
Original post by Sacred Ground
I took: (as grades in brackets)
Geography (A)
Biology (B)
Chemistry (A)
Psychology (B) (resat this year to get an A hopefully)

Psychology was by far my hardest at AS; the volume of information they expect you to know is ridiculous.
Geography was probably my hardest at A2; it took me a while to master the essay structure

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is your advice for Bio, chem and psychology in terms of revision and the subject in general?
I'll be taking A-levels in September.

I'm doing:

Maths
Further maths
Government and politics
and another subject I haven't chosen yet, either History or Computer science.
Reply 12
Original post by PugDevil
Geography
History
English Language
I.T (Dropped at A2)

I would say that Geography turned out to be the hardest just because of the sheer amount of content you had to remember

So what did you do to remember all the content?
hi!!
I m also going to go fr A levels this September and decided to take :
Bio
Chem
Phy:smile:
I took:
Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics (dropped this before Christmas because it was way too boring and I didn't want it to affect the rest of my grades)

My hardest subject was always Biology, since you have to learn so much and understand it all and be able to apply it all well, and then the mark schemes are always waayyyy to fussy. I hope I've got an A in it, but I'm not certain lol.

EDIT: This is all at AS level. I'm going to be dropping Further Maths.
Original post by shahida sulaiman
hi!!
I m also going to go fr A levels this September and decided to take :
Bio
Chem
Phy:smile:

Don't you have to do maths if physics?

At my school they won't let you do physics without an A in maths + doing it at A-level o.O
Reply 16
Original post by Gogregg
I took:
Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics (dropped this before Christmas because it was way too boring and I didn't want it to affect the rest of my grades)

My hardest subject was always Biology, since you have to learn so much and understand it all and be able to apply it all well, and then the mark schemes are always waayyyy to fussy. I hope I've got an A in it, but I'm not certain lol.

EDIT: This is all at AS level. I'm going to be dropping Further Maths.

Aw hopefully you got an A or even an A* you never know. How did you cope with bio and chem like how did you revise for them?
Original post by 34908seikj
Don't you have to do maths if physics?

At my school they won't let you do physics without an A in maths + doing it at A-level o.O

No!!! I don't think so cuz I m going fr the medical field and it also depends on the college I go to if they make math compulsory then I will do it or else I won't :smile::wink:
Reply 18
Original post by shahida sulaiman
No!!! I don't think so cuz I m going fr the medical field and it also depends on the college I go to if they make math compulsory then I will do it or else I won't :smile::wink:

I also want to do medicine, do i have to pick maths and physics if i want to do medicine?
Aw hopefully you got an A or even an A* you never know. How did you cope with bio and chem like how did you revise for them?

With Biology (OCR), I did past papers and with questions that I would get wrong, I would put them into flashcards so I could learn them later. I would also make notes on any topics that I was weaker on, and would regularly read over them. It was hard work, but I really hope it all paid off.

For Chemistry (AQA) you can basically just learn the mark-scheme and get a good grade. So I did exactly that! Obviously you need to actually understand it and be able to apply it to get the A, which hopefully I have, but who knows? But until the change in the specification, the answers and questions would always be the same, so I just put them all on flashcards and learnt them throughout the year.

If you want to do well at A-Level, you really need to put the work in, and make sure to pay attention in lessons. If you've listened in all the lessons, it makes coming to revise the subjects so much easier. That said, it's important to relax sometimes :wink:

I also want to do medicine, do i have to pick maths and physics if i want to do medicine?

No, you don't. You just need Chemistry, and for most universities, Biology.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest