The Student Room Group

Sainsbury's disiplinary help

My partner has been told he will have a disiplinary due to 6 absenses but that was 2 months ago do they have a time limit in which they have to do a displinary in?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Corinnexxxx
My partner has been told he will have a disiplinary due to 6 absenses but that was 2 months ago do they have a time limit in which they have to do a displinary in?

What kind of absences were they and over what period of time? *
Reply 2
Some of them were due to sickness (the bug) and one for gastrointeritus and food poisoning one was for depression which i have been told they wont be taking into account along with the one for hospital appointment for my mental health problems the absences range from around late 2015

Original post by Simonthegreat
What kind of absences were they and over what period of time? *
Sorry to hear that they are all due to illness. Some companies now have sickness policies and back to work interviews after sick leave? is this the case for you? *If so, the first place to look at is the company sickness policy to see what their rules are. *If not ask your manager why you have been put through this. 6 days off over a period of a year does not seem too much to me.*
Reply 4
I work at a supermarket and was threatened with a disciplinary meeting but it never happened in the end so maybe their employer has decided not to bother....
Original post by fefssdf
I work at a supermarket and was threatened with a disciplinary meeting but it never happened in the end so maybe their employer has decided not to bother....

Was it for a similar situation? **
Original post by fefssdf

Was it for a similar situation? *
Reply 7
You can ask to see the absence policy. Mostly they are quite strict with even 2 or 3 absences in a 12 month rolling period triggering a verbal warning. Worth joining a trade union as they will accompany and assist which could be useful if there are mitigating circumstances.
Original post by Zarek
You can ask to see the absence policy. Mostly they are quite strict with even 2 or 3 absences in a 12 month rolling period triggering a verbal warning. Worth joining a trade union as they will accompany and assist which could be useful if there are mitigating circumstances.

Wow is that right? *What are people are ill? *
Original post by Zarek

Wow is that right? *What are people suppose to do if they are too ill to work? **
Reply 10
[QUOTE=Simonthegreat;66556912]Wow is that right? *What are people suppose to do if they are too ill to work? **
To give the management perspective, coping with minor absence is a major headache and cost and these policies are presented as a barrier to abuse of contract and sickness benefit. There will be exceptions for certain conditions I imagine. Definitely worth seeing the policy. Of course the reality is that people who are genuinely poor in health or just unlucky in a particular time period get caught up in disciplinary action even to dismissal. A more progressive approach might be to combat absence though working on morale, communication etc. and then to trust and support people. Don't know if there are any organisation that have made this work.

On your original point, if it's 2 months since they mentioned the disciplinary and nothing has been formally issued then perhaps the moment has passed. Again the policy might cover this point. I would definitely recommend joining a trade union. They can't always help and you also have to see your employers side too, but by and large they have and do help to protect workers rights against ruthless business pressure.
(edited 7 years ago)
Was it for a similar situation? **

Well I failed the store's ' think 25' inspection cause I didn't ID someone for alcohol but seems like I got away with it :biggrin:
Original post by fefssdf
Well I failed the store's ' think 25' inspection cause I didn't ID someone for alcohol but seems like I got away with it :biggrin:

You were lucky mate. :smile: *How do they know that you did *not id someone? Surely that person underage *did not come back to complain .*
They did have a time limit on when they could take something to disciplinary level when I worked there, but that was a very long time ago.
If he hasn't had (m)any other disciplinary hearings then I wouldn't be too worried if they do want to pursue the matter as it's likely to end in a verbal warning at worst. That said, the majority of the absences were due to illness that could have been spread to other staff members or, heaven forbid, customers; if it does go to a hearing, make sure he stresses that point as everything said is recorded and the company would obviously be unwilling to be seen to put others at risk.
The only problem I can see (as long as he followed correct absence procedure - ringing in however many hours they ask before the shift is due to start) is the absence due to taking you to hospital. They might be a bit iffy about that.
Surely this is wrong, if you are genuinly ill then there is nothing you can do about it.
You were lucky mate. :smile: *How do they know that you did *not id someone? Surely that person underage *did not come back to complain .*

It was an inspection and the guy behind the customer had a clipboard lol; I did clock on that he looked like some inspector but didn't realise it was about alcohol :/ but I know for future reference

It was an inspection and the guy behind the customer had a clipboard lol; I did clock on that he looked like some inspector but didn't realise it was about alcohol :/ but I know for future reference
Original post by fefssdf

Well least you learnt from your mistake. *Just out of interest did they plant "the customer" or was he genuinely under age. **
Excuse me for not reeading other responses- having dinner.

I would just get the rule book and see what it says, so that if a case was brought, then I was ready. It may answer your question.

Other than that I would leave it alone and just get on with things. Not wise to take any more days off.
Well least you learnt from your mistake. *Just out of interest did they plant "the customer" or was he genuinely under age. **

Well basically the customer was a japenese lady who was 18/19 apparently and the think 25 policy stipulates that you have to ID them if they don't look 25 but I didn't ID them lol and yh it was stupid how they did it cause it was this woman and then behind them was a guy with his clipboard with earphones in and I remembered thinking ' bet he's some Tesco uncover person ' and turned out he was like oh dear hmmmm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending