The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Laptop in lectures?

Hi! Im starting this September at Bournemouth and was wondering if laptops are allowed in lectures? My hand writings awful and if I try to make it easier to read I write really slow. Im doing media production and I plan on doing video editing or any kind of editing on this laptop. My main worry is that will I stand out with my laptop? Do others bring their laptops or are laptops even allowed in the first place?
No idea if you do exams in media production but if you do, chances are you will have to write by hand. It is no bad skill to have so maybe a good time to start practising.

Good luck!
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Original post by lunarpilot
Hi! Im starting this September at Bournemouth and was wondering if laptops are allowed in lectures? My hand writings awful and if I try to make it easier to read I write really slow. Im doing media production and I plan on doing video editing or any kind of editing on this laptop. My main worry is that will I stand out with my laptop? Do others bring their laptops or are laptops even allowed in the first place?

Most people don't use laptops and will find the sound of your typing annoying. However, it is allowed.
Just type up your messy notes after the lecture is over. A laptop may be distracting to you and others around you, also it's quicker to write than it is to type (for me anyway).
Reply 4
As long as it's not forbidden, I'm using one. Pretty sure loads of students do. May depend on the course a bit but it's usually allowed.

My handwriting sucks and I type way faster than I can write.
Not at Bournemouth but I've never heard of laptops not being allowed in Lectures. Obviously I can't tell you how many people will bring a laptop to lectures but I'd be really surprised if you were the only one.
Reply 6
Original post by lunarpilot

In both of my recent unis, so many people use laptops in lectures that it's perfectly normal. Some people take lecture notes on smartphones as well (in beteen texting/tweeting/gaming!). I bought a notepad to take lecture notes as soon as I could afford one. Much easier than handwriting.

Don't worry about it, especially in a department which is digitally-based - you might stick out if you were handwriting your notes!
I'm in the Faculty of Sci Tech at Bournemouth and a small amount of people use laptops in lectures, Probably a lot more on your course!
Reply 8
I'm'a make sure I find one with a quiet keyboard heh
Original post by Platopus
Most people don't use laptops and will find the sound of your typing annoying. However, it is allowed.

What lectures are you in? I'm on Games Programming and I see about 2 dozen laptops in every lecture I'm in. The lecturers generally don't care as long as you're still listening to what they're saying and not playing a game or watching TV or something.

If a particular lecturer doesn't want you using a laptop, they'll tell you so. You can't avoid hand-writing things forever though, so it really is worth practicing.
Plenty of people on my course (myself included) use a laptop or a tablet and keyboard to write lecture notes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending