The Student Room Group

Universities are already increasing their fees above £9000

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juichiro
I think not as many people go to uni in Germany as they do in the UK. Plus, many of the courses in the UK probably don't exist in Germany. Here, there's this attitude of pushing everybody to university. In Germany, they lack that tunnel vision, hence you have the German government investing in proper apprenticeship programs.
Also, maybe their uni VCs don't get the 6-figure salary that many UK VCs get.

That seems fair I guess. Admittedly, I never considered any other options apart from university except for a few months where I thought I could do an apprenticeship but my teachers even discouraged me from that, telling me that my grades were 'too high' to consider an apprenticeship, which I think is bull***t because I could've had a good job in engineering by now instead of struggling through A-levels :frown: my degree is a bit of a means to an end as well because I'm only really doing it so I can become fluent in German
Reply 221
The OP says that it will apply to current as well as new students, is there a source for this?
I'm unlikely to pay it all off anyway but would be interesting to know.
How fantastic.
Original post by Aph
The OP says that it will apply to current as well as new students, is there a source for this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/36856026?client=ms-android-sonymobile#
Original post by THE EPIC Panda
Hold on a minute guys. Don't us students have a body that is supposed to fight these increases in tuition fees? I'm sure there was something like this...

I am sorry it has more important things to do such as bringing abut a Palestinian State.
Original post by nulli tertius
I am sorry it has more important things to do such as bringing abut a Palestinian State.

If that's how you view things then we can't even discuss things like Palestine because there are more important things such as ending starvation worldwide

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 226
Original post by Underscore__
If that's how you view things then we can even discuss things like Palestine because there are more important things such as ending starvation worldwide

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or finding a way for humanity to survive once the sun turns into a red dwarf
Original post by She-Ra
Interesting that they didn't give Cambridge a mention in the article.....

I wonder for how much longer the rule will remain that you continue to pay in second and and third year what you paid in first year, even though fees up gone up. I wonder if uni contracts will change and confirm that the fees may go up across the three years.....

Anybody currently enrolled will be subject to the fee increase. In your 9k contract youll see that by taking it you agree to accept changes in policy. So if it passes the following year you will have to pay the extra.

Students need to boycott the student satisfaction surveys or troll them regardless because if a university fails its student satisfaction it cannot charge higher fees (in fact it will be stunted at the lower fee cap of 6000!)
Original post by Aph

It will sadly
Reply 229
Bring back Britain please!!
Reply 230
AngryRedHead
Something that isn't taught by Oxbridge, basically. If they don't teach it, it isn't traditional.

Viking Studies sounds quite interesting tbf, I personally would consider it a subset of history, which is a traditional and academic subject

That's stupid. What if someone wants to be an environmental health officer? Oxbridge doesn't offer degrees (environmental health studies) for it, there aren't apprenticeships and it's a pretty important job.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gogregg
education is supposed to be a human right. It sort of feels like they're infringing upon it when they make it more and more expensive to access...

This is why libraries are free.
Reply 232
Well, at least it's not Increasing by 6k p/a this time. Right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Shhhh.... don't mention vocational courses. :wink:

By the way, if you want detail how about 25% unemployment for Computing at Imperial
http://m.unistats.ac.uk/subjects/employment/10003270FT-G400/ReturnTo/Search
:wink:

And neither St Andrews nor Lancaster nor Swansea are in the RG, yet are in that top 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A majority of CS grads tend to assume just because they have a 2.1/1st that they can waltz into any company and secure a job within weeks, when in reality jobs like Software Engineering (i.e techincal jobs that CS grads usually go into) require a portfolio; much like architecture.
A company like Google will take someone who doesn't have a degree but a good portfolio, loads of projects and hours under their belt over a CS grad with little or no experience, any day of the week.

As a result of our CS grads usually having little experience, jobs are snapped up by either self-taught programmers who acutally bother to take part in projects or attend hackathons. Or internationals *cue the immigrants are taking our jobs line* :laugh:

Mind you, I think CS education in this country is a shambles anyway. Far better in the USA.
I'll be starting CS at KCL this Sep. :rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
Brirmingham City University have raised Criminology, Policing and Investigation to £9250 for 2017 entry.
Is an increase of 250 pounds really that much? It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Though that's possibly because I'm an international applicant and will already pay a **** ton more than locals.
Original post by jneill
@She-Ra - yes just saw this on BBC too. Seems a bit odd if their TEF hasn't even been approved yet.

Cambridge (not mentioned in BBC report) are also saying £9,250
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/2015-16/weekly/6433/UniCompositionFeesSchedule-TablesofFees.pdf

One thing to remember it doesn't apply if you are already at university. It's just for those starting their courses in 2017/18.

There's going to be even more pressure in some universities to increase fees if, as many colleges now fear, EU student intakes fall sharply from next year due to Brexit-induced uncertainty. The numbers simply don't add up otherwise. There is also the crisis in research funding now brewing.

I think some universities are going to go bust in the near future.
Increasing fees is stupid when teaching in some universities is not up to standard.

I wouldn't mind paying more though if they provided all materials/equipment and resources like schools do apart from stationary of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just waiting for the impending protest marches which will then turn into violence and rioting. And then when the police rightly start dealing with them, they'll play victim.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending