The Student Room Group

Why do you get a stencil in maths sets?

I've owned a few maths sets over the years whilst I've been studying maths, all of which have came with stencils...

20160722_162340.jpg

...what gives?

As much maths studying that I have done I've still not found a use for the stencil.

Does anyone know what the intended purpose is for the stencil?

The front of my maths set states "over 100 million sets sold" that's a lot of stencils, surely someone should know what they are for?

Cheers,

Oliver
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

For mathematicians who do Math because they are terrible at handwriting and English.
Whilst my handwriting is terrible, stencils aren't time efficient to write with, think they were thrown in for the banter

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
They must have made over 100 million of these, seems like such a waste.
I don't know anyone who uses them
I should have asked my maths teacher what it is for, bet that would have stumped her.

20160722_162313.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by drandy76
Whilst my handwriting is terrible, stencils aren't time efficient to right with, think they were thrown in for the banter

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to mention the amount of paper you'd use writing that big!
one of life's unknown mysteries bro
Maybe it's so when you arrive at an answer, instead of relying on the handwriting being legible, you can use the stencil instead so that it's definitely readable?

That's about the best I can come up with, but I seriously doubt it's the reason.
Reply 7
Original post by david9640
Maybe it's so when you arrive at an answer, instead of relying on the handwriting being legible, you can use the stencil instead so that it's definitely readable?

That's about the best I can come up with, but I seriously doubt it's the reason.

It's worrying that your answer however ridiculas it may sound is still the best answer anyone has came up with yet 😀
When I do Olympiad questions, it can take hours so I label all the vertices with the stencils to take my mind off things. Sometimes I use them to write people's names on table. The most useless thing is the triangular thing in a Maths set, used to draw right angle but the corner gets broken easily so it becomes useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by TwinPrimes
When I do Olympiad questions, it can take hours so I label all the vertices with the stencils to take my mind off things. Sometimes I use them to write people's names on table. The most useless thing is the triangular thing in a Maths set, used to draw right angle but the corner gets broken easily so it becomes useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I still think the stencil is the most useless part of the set, atleast the triangle thing if useful until it breaks.
To be honest I've never used either triangle thing except to use as a ruler when I can't find my ruler, but unlike with the stencil I could imagine the triangle things being useful in some situations.
Reply 10
A Staedtler stencil, from my Staedtler maths set...

20160722_233953.jpg
Reply 11
I use mine as a mould for alphabetti spaghetti.
Reply 12
Original post by notnek
I use mine as a mould for alphabetti spaghetti.

That's a great use for it, but still doesn't explain why it comes with a maths set
I love this thread :lol:

and idk, I use it in my art sketchbooks but as for why you would need it in maths :dontknow:
Reply 14
I asked my friend who studied maths at Trinity College Cambridge, worked as head of maths at a school and now works giving training to maths teachers.

Even he wasn't too sure but did have a couple of ideas, here is his reply to me...

"Good question! I think like the two triangles which are included it is about being able to produce diagrams which are consistent and accurate, but to be honest I can't think of a good mathematical reason why you would need the alphabet or numbers on a stencil. Perhaps young children could learn to write letters or numbers using a stencil?"

...I'm not sure it is designed for young children with the set also containing a compass and pencil sharpener. I'm sure most people wanting a maths set like this are already capable of writing letters and numbers.
Producing consistent and accurate diagrams send more likely, although even with all his mathematical experience my friend can't think of a good mathematical reason to need the alphabet or numbers on a stencil.
For writing things which you don't want to be identified as the author of by handwriting comparison.

e.g blackmail demands, ransom notes etc...

presumably it's a common urge during maths lessons :unsure:
Reply 16
Original post by Joinedup
For writing things which you don't want to be identified as the author of by handwriting comparison.

e.g blackmail demands, ransom notes etc...

presumably it's a common urge during maths lessons :unsure:

Dam maths students blackmailing everyone, the murky world of the modern maths student.
Reply 17
Incase one maths stencil isn't enough for your mathematical needs, you can actually buy a set of different sized alphabet stencils...

1342811240.jpg

Here's another maths stencil you can buy, but this one must be for more advanced mathematics...

Attachment not found
I wish I knew the answer. I want to know now!!!
Reply 19
We may get a definitive answer soon, another mate of mine (Chris) has emailed Maped Helix to ask them...

"No idea, so I've [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] Hi Can you advise what the expected usage is for the included stencil within your maths sets?http://www.mapedhelix.co.uk/products/education-equipment/maths-sets/school-classicie when would this be used in reality?ThanksChris"

If/when he gets a reply I'll post it here
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest