The Student Room Group

University fees finance question

Hello, I'm a Danish national but have not lived in the EU for almost a decade.

Due to complicated circumstances my parents will not be paying my university fees or anything for that matter, I was wondering if I am eligible for student finance or student loans in the UK.

I am considering doing a part-time job to be able to put myself through university, though I don't know if this will be enough as I am considered an international student in UK and will be paying the international fees and I have applied for on-campus accommodation, though I am definitely going to go off-campus if required.

My total expenses, including uni fees, food, travel, rent and laundry etc comes to about 24k pounds - as an overestimate.
Reply 1
Original post by GucciTown
Hello, I'm a Danish national but have not lived in the EU for almost a decade.

Due to complicated circumstances my parents will not be paying my university fees or anything for that matter, I was wondering if I am eligible for student finance or student loans in the UK.

I am considering doing a part-time job to be able to put myself through university, though I don't know if this will be enough as I am considered an international student in UK and will be paying the international fees and I have applied for on-campus accommodation, though I am definitely going to go off-campus if required.

My total expenses, including uni fees, food, travel, rent and laundry etc comes to about 24k pounds - as an overestimate.

Sorry, no. International students don't qualify for any Student Finance.

There's no way you could get a part-time job which gave you a take-home income of £24,000.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
Sorry, no. International students don't qualify for any Student Finance.

There's no way you could get a part-time job which gave you a take-home income of £24,000.

Yeah that's what I thought, I think I may still be eligible for student loans though, I'm not sure...
Reply 3
Yeah that's what I thought, I think I may still be eligible for student loans though, I'm not sure...

If you're considered an international student you won't be eligible for student loans. If you're considered a home/eu student then you may be eligible. You need to double check to get some clarification.

Like the other person said no part time job will get you £24,000. Are there any scholarships or charities from your home country that can help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by mliela
If you're considered an international student you won't be eligible for student loans. If you're considered a home/eu student then you may be eligible. You need to double check to get some clarification.

Like the other person said no part time job will get you £24,000. Are there any scholarships or charities from your home country that can help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure, I'd have to look into it but I doubt it.
For university fees, in order to be eligible to pay the home fees you need to have lived in an EU country for 3 or more years prior to the start of the degree, i don't meet this requirement so im considered an international student by universities.
I'm not sure if there are similar requirements for student loans, I'll have to look into it.
My situation is pretty complex, maybe enough to get my university to give me a discount or let me pay the home fees. The Danish Ministry Of Foreign Affairs is aware of my situation and could probably vouch for me, tough I'm not sure how these things work...
Reply 5
Unfortunately you'll have to pay international fees and the student finance company will not give you any loans. (They might give you the tuition loan but I think they have the same rule of having to have been in EU for the last 3 years) All I can suggest is looking at scholarships, bursaries and grants in all countries. One you were born in, the one you live in currently and in UK. You may be able to find an organisation who could support you.

A part time job will definitely not be enough for everything. The only way it would work would be working full time and doing a part time course.

You can always come over and just work for a few years saving up money before doing the course. But I'm not sure how well that would work out with brexit
Reply 6
Original post by Devify
Unfortunately you'll have to pay international fees and the student finance company will not give you any loans. (They might give you the tuition loan but I think they have the same rule of having to have been in EU for the last 3 years) All I can suggest is looking at scholarships, bursaries and grants in all countries. One you were born in, the one you live in currently and in UK. You may be able to find an organisation who could support you.

A part time job will definitely not be enough for everything. The only way it would work would be working full time and doing a part time course.

You can always come over and just work for a few years saving up money before doing the course. But I'm not sure how well that would work out with brexit

Thanks for the reply,

I've worked out that i can lower the over all expenses to 19k a year, though that's still too high for a part-time job salary. Pretty tough situation, I think I'll have to ask my university for discounts or look at trying to get a loan from the Danish government, not sure if that would work...
Reply 7
Thanks for the reply,

I've worked out that i can lower the over all expenses to 19k a year, though that's still too high for a part-time job salary. Pretty tough situation, I think I'll have to ask my university for discounts or look at trying to get a loan from the Danish government, not sure if that would work...

Yeah that's still a lot more than what you can earn from a part time job. The university won't give discounts. Fees are set. I understand that your situation is complicated but they won't budge for home students at times let alone international students. Contact the Danish government and see if they know of any aid that can help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by mliela
Yeah that's still a lot more than what you can earn from a part time job. The university won't give discounts. Fees are set. I understand that your situation is complicated but they won't budge for home students at times let alone international students. Contact the Danish government and see if they know of any aid that can help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that's probably best.
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending