The Student Room Group

How do i cut down my personal statement?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by NeverLucky
You've got loads of time. In fact, you can wait until September to get your teachers to look over your PS. The fact that you've already started and wrote that much is great! I know people that didn't start writing their PS until September/October and they did just fine.
Enjoy your summer and you can refine and cut down your PS in September/October.

I want my application sent off by mid October latest though :frown: I have also started doing an EPQ and so that is taking up a lot of my time so I want to get all these little things sorted over summer so I can knuckle down at A2 from September.
Reply 21
Original post by jneill
Without seeing your PS (and don't send it to me :wink: ) I can't really advise, but have a look at the huge bank of PSs already on TSR for ideas.

Where can I find them on here?
Original post by GeorgeB16
Don't worry, there are personal statement advisers at sixth form who are qualified in this stuff, I'm sure they'll sort it out XD

oh okay, that sounds really great. good luck with everything, i am sure that your final personal statement will be brilliant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
what universities are you applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by ?Hannah
what universities are you applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

University of Liverpool, Manchester Metropolitan, Newcastle University, Nottingham Trent and another one which is to be decided XD Will probably be Uni of Manchester or Leicester :smile:
I want my application sent off by mid October latest though :frown: I have also started doing an EPQ and so that is taking up a lot of my time so I want to get all these little things sorted over summer so I can knuckle down at A2 from September.

A month and a half is a long time for something like this. Not to mention, it'll be even easier and quicker once you get some proper personal advice. It honestly won't even take much of your time to refine your PS. You've done the hard part of writing the content, now it's just the matter of how you can optimise it.
If I were you, I'd rather be getting into the EPQ than looking at how I could cut down on my PS.
(edited 7 years ago)
I am currently working on my 3rd draft of my personal statement, and although I've got it reduced from the original 6500 characters, I am still well over the 4000 character limit.

I am currently at 5874 characters and 77 lines which I know is far too much for the UCAS application. I just have no idea how I can cut things out - everything just seems too important to be there :/

Any suggestions? :s-smilie:

I'm also going to start my ps. Why don't you get someone to read it, like your mum or dad or even your teachers. You don't need to talk about everything you did, only the relevant bits that apply to your chosen course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by NeverLucky
A month and a half is a long time for something like this. Not to mention, it'll be even easier and quicker once you get some proper personal advice. It honestly won't even take much of your time to refine your PS. You've done the hard part of writing the content, now it's just the matter of how you can optimise you.
If I were you, I'd rather be getting into the EPQ then looking at how I could cut down on my PS.

Thank you for your advice, I'll continue with my EPQ and email my teachers regardless - 4 of them have already asked to look over it so I guess I'm spoiled for choice XD :smile:
Reply 30
Splendid! Thank you very much :biggrin:

Note... there's no guarantee of the quality of any of these. They are not officially approved or assessed by TSR. Do your own due diligence!
Reply 31
Original post by Workangel_24
I'm also going to start my ps. Why don't you get someone to read it, like your mum or dad. You don't need to talk about everything you did, only the relevant bits that apply to your chosen course.

My mum and dad never went to university and neither have had the best education. The most my mum got was an A level in law in practice and I believe my dad only has an O level in biology XD
I had about 2 pages too much when I first did mine, writing about the Wealth of Nations.... what i learned and how it applies etc... had to cut a lot of that out and oddly enough put in that I've done sports days :O
Reply 33
Original post by jneill
Note... there's no guarantee of the quality of any of these. They are not officially approved or assessed by TSR. Do your own due diligence!

I've already had a look through some and I can certainly see how they have cut their statements down. I really want to write mine like that but I can't exactly copy or reword anything :frown: This is driving me insane :angry: XD
Reply 34
Original post by IronicalMan
I had about 2 pages too much when I first did mine, writing about the Wealth of Nations.... what i learned and how it applies etc... had to cut a lot of that out and oddly enough put in that I've done sports days :O

Are you at university now? Was what you cut out enough for them to accept your application? I know that they rely on references and A level grades as well but I know your personal statement is still a very important part of the application.
Reply 35
Are you at university now? Was what you cut out enough for them to accept your application? I know that they rely on references and A level grades as well but I know your personal statement is still a very important part of the application.

So one thing, you let your referee talk about your past achievements. Especially academically. Your PS should focus on demonstrating your interest in the course.

Tbh mate, I don't think a lot of uni's even read them... they want the money at the end of the day. Unless you don't get grades then they will probably look at it.
I got my offers yeah, I am going to uni in september
ask your english teacher if they'd mind reading it for you as they may be able to help you write things more concisely, using fewer words. you need to go through and look at which ' filler ' words you're using and get rid of them.
My top advice is:

1) Always remove full sentences/phrases not an odd word here or there as that can sound strange and stilted
2)Keep cut sentences in a separate document in case you want them (usually you don't, but you won't worry about it if you have them in a safe place).
3) Focus on saying things like "I did X because Y. From X I learned Z" you'll fit in less X's but it's the reasoning that shows your ability to think deeply and learn from things.
4) Good paragraphing is more important than making what you want fit in the line limit.
5) Really focus on whatever inspired you to do the course / anything you have done that demonstrates your interest in the subject
Admissions staff are looking for three things in a PS:
1 - does the applicant understand what they're applying for (for law the common mistakes are to focus too much on the eventual career and not enough on the academic degree you're applying for)
2 - does the applicant demonstrate the motivation and enthusiasm to stick with the degree for 3+ years (this is where you talk about all the reading and blogs and visits you've done outside your curriculum)
3 - does the applicant have the non academic skills to succeed (for law that is making a concise PS that demonstrates your suitability for the course, debating experience or public speaking if you have it)

You definitely don't need to waste space explaining why History A level has been a good preparation for a law degree - those sections are always either stating the obvious or stretching credibility. They don't give a reader a good impression of the writer.

Quick Reply

Latest