The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help

I am currently trying to write my personal statement, but I do not know where to start, what needs to be included, how much to write and what not to write? Can someone please help me by giving some advice?
(This is just my opinion and it's how I've approached it but I'm no expert obviously a personal statement is personal so)
First just think about who you are as a person and come up with two or three adjectives to describe yourself.
Then think, 'what are things that I have done that back this up?' For example have you done DoFe, do you volunteer anywhere, do you have any hobbies? Then what does this involve and what does this show about you?
Not sure if this is for an application for a job or something but if it's a job think about the qualities you need for that job and tailor it to suit. If it's for university or college think about what the ideal student for the course/s would be. However, don't lie on it, make it really truthful and talk about things you are passionate about- what you love.
If you need to write about work experience always back it up- even if you've only ever had a paper round there's always things to say (eg: time management).
Include as much as possible but also make it succinct and not full of rambling. Organise it into neat paragraphs and use professional or intelligent language.
good luck!
Original post by alevellife123
I am currently trying to write my personal statement, but I do not know where to start, what needs to be included, how much to write and what not to write? Can someone please help me by giving some advice?

work your way through: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/personal_statement_builder/make_some_notes

it will give you automated feedback at the end about what might be too long/too short and any obvious mistakes
Original post by PQ
work your way through: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/personal_statement_builder/make_some_notes

it will give you automated feedback at the end about what might be too long/too short and any obvious mistakes

thank you!
Original post by perspectives
(This is just my opinion and it's how I've approached it but I'm no expert obviously a personal statement is personal so)
First just think about who you are as a person and come up with two or three adjectives to describe yourself.
Then think, 'what are things that I have done that back this up?' For example have you done DoFe, do you volunteer anywhere, do you have any hobbies? Then what does this involve and what does this show about you?
Not sure if this is for an application for a job or something but if it's a job think about the qualities you need for that job and tailor it to suit. If it's for university or college think about what the ideal student for the course/s would be. However, don't lie on it, make it really truthful and talk about things you are passionate about- what you love.
If you need to write about work experience always back it up- even if you've only ever had a paper round there's always things to say (eg: time management).
Include as much as possible but also make it succinct and not full of rambling. Organise it into neat paragraphs and use professional or intelligent language.
good luck!

thank you so much!
Personal statement is "PERSONAL"
It is about you. YOU need to write what you are, who you are. Think about why you are applying and be able to justify and show your commitment. Your work experience should match. Be honest. Reflect on what you have written. Write about your hobbies, passion for the subject. Make sure some one doing the same course at higher level has read the statement ( teacher, soemone in uni in same course). First draft should be lengthy Through in everything sport, work experience , your study, your passion, what motivates you etc
Than start tightening it up. There are many books that given examples to demonstrate what are good and bad statements. You can find them on amazon or ebay
As someone said above, use TSR link to get help and feedback.
best of luck.
thank you !
Original post by alevellife123

Hi alevellife

How are you getting on now with your Personal Statement?

Have you managed a first draft yet?

Sometimes starting is the hardest bit and the best thing to do is just write something down. Starting with a list is often a good idea, then once you have a decent list you can develop that into a first draft. Before you know it you'll be well on your way to writing a killer personal statement.

The balance of your Personal Statement can really make a difference to the overall message you convey, so it's really important to consider this whilst you're writing. You want to take this opportunity to make your PS stand out for all the right reasons.

If you have a minute you should watch this video as it's on this exact subject and might give you a few pointers for taking your PS to the next level.

Do give me shout if you've got any questions... always happy to offer some advice.

UniAdmissions
Hi,My name is Ruqayyah Boota. I am 16 years old. I am dedicated to study Child Nursing at the University of Leeds, starting in September 2017. I am currently studying BTEC Science and Health and Social Care at 6th form.This summer I have taken the liberty of gaining work experience in different fields. I have already worked on a ward in Pinderfields Hospital, at Child's play private Nursery, at a local pharmacy, at a local junior school, at North Kirklees Libraries and I am also looking forward to working in an elderly care home next week.I am also volunteering for YPAT (Young Peoples Activity team). This involves caring for vulnerable young people with disabilities. I truly enjoy working with children and making a positive change in their lives.I am also a Reach For Excellence student, hosted by the University of Leeds.I am currently editing my personal statement and would appreciate any advice for my application and interview.Thank you for taking out the time to read this post and providing me with advice!Kind regards,Ruqayyah Boota
Personal statement advice- don't focus too much on personal hobbies and interests and stick to why you want to do your subject- and how far you would go to satisfy your interests for that subject. This advice would go for people studying more theoretical subjects- history, politics, law and economics- for example.

however for medicine and nursing, midwifery- essential work experience may be required- not entirely sure about the medical fields entirely though
Check out the nursing specific guidance in my signature below (under subject specific guidance) :smile:
Original post by Ruqayyah1999
Hi,My name is Ruqayyah Boota. I am 16 years old. I am dedicated to study Child Nursing at the University of Leeds, starting in September 2017. I am currently studying BTEC Science and Health and Social Care at 6th form.This summer I have taken the liberty of gaining work experience in different fields. I have already worked on a ward in Pinderfields Hospital, at Child's play private Nursery, at a local pharmacy, at a local junior school, at North Kirklees Libraries and I am also looking forward to working in an elderly care home next week.I am also volunteering for YPAT (Young Peoples Activity team). This involves caring for vulnerable young people with disabilities. I truly enjoy working with children and making a positive change in their lives.I am also a Reach For Excellence student, hosted by the University of Leeds.I am currently editing my personal statement and would appreciate any advice for my application and interview.Thank you for taking out the time to read this post and providing me with advice!Kind regards,Ruqayyah Boota

Hi Ruqayyah

Do you feel happy with your personal statement so far?

My advice is to keep in mind the balance between sections as this has a real impact on the overall message. Often people dedicate too much space to their extra curricular activities, which is not necessary. It is important to mention anything relevant and reflect on the transferable skills you have gained as a result but don't spend too much time on this.

You might be interested in watching this video as it gives our top tips for writing a killer personal statement, which hopefully you will find useful.

Give me a shout if you have any questions.

UniAdmissions
Hey guys, I've started doing a rough draft of my personal statement and I was wondering how long is it appropriate to go back in terms of achievements/ activities.

For example, if I mention something from Year 7/8, (along with recent stuff), would it be okay or ...?
Reply 13
Samee idk how to start without saying "my main reason for wanting to study......

Posted from TSR Mobile
The rule I always use when advising people is nothing from longer than 2 years ago
Original post by kiiten
Samee idk how to start without saying "my main reason for wanting to study......

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's absolutely fine to start with that...it's straight to the point I feel....:smile:
I have read some useful tips herehttp://perfectessaysonline.com/writing-a-personal-statement . Maybe it will help you, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending