The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gsbs2
don't choose second options at Goldman (except locations ofc), teams want someone committed to the end. I´d avoid BOs at all costs no matter what, you may as well work in a back office at tesco

That was quite a peak remark.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In the same way students from europe apply to internships in London, can i apply to GS in London and NYC too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 142
Original post by Princepieman
That was quite a peak remark.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah it's actually true, finance division in tesco's might actually be more interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gladiatorsword
In the same way students from europe apply to internships in London, can i apply to GS in London and NYC too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

NYC would be pretty much impossible from Europe mate. Asia Pacific, anywhere in Europe, the middle east and africa are all fair game however - granted you have the language skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
NYC would be pretty much impossible from Europe mate. Asia Pacific, anywhere in Europe, the middle east and africa are all fair game however - granted you have the language skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Easier to lateral over as a Senior Analyst or Associate. That's what I would like to do.
Original post by gsbs2
the end is the same, and I doubt the job will be much different. I can't see how finance/internal audit at Goldman might be much different or more exciting from finance at Tesco Bank or M&S.

And in terms of moving from a BO to a FO, as you already know, beeest of luck!

You're not wrong tbf, there's not a whole lot of distinction between finance/internal audit teams across industries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
Easier to lateral over as a Senior Analyst or Associate. That's what I would like to do.

Yep, seen the same too. I would even say a later year Analyst and upwards (includes VPs, EDs, MDs etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know which BB banks requires which tests? I know you have to do a numerical test almost everywhere (except GS and JPM), but some banks also wants you to submit a verbal and/or logical reasoning test. Would be so grateful if anyone had some insight to that.
Original post by brian_sp12
Does anyone know which BB banks requires which tests? I know you have to do a numerical test almost everywhere (except GS and JPM), but some banks also wants you to submit a verbal and/or logical reasoning test. Would be so grateful if anyone had some insight to that.

Add barclays to the no tests list

Prep for all three types.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 149
How important is networking given all the applications are done through an online system?
Original post by RWiz
How important is networking given all the applications are done through an online system?

Who do you think screens the applications? It's very important at every step of your career.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will of course prep for all three types. I just want to know which to focus on the most :smile: and would be sad to prep for all three, if I am not actually gonna be taking all three. As you know, this stuff is time consuming
Reply 152
Original post by RWiz
Denmark!

nice, I am in Hamburg now. Will go visit soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure about Barclays? I had to do a numerical, verbal and situational judgement for them last summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
Are you sure about Barclays? I had to do a numerical, verbal and situational judgement for them last summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting, I heard they got rid of tests from A but might be for the spring week only dunno.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 155
Alright. I just thought networking had marginal effects when applying to big Bulge Bracket firms, unless you know a VP/MD or actually participated in Spring Week there.

How would you actually convert your so called networking in the application process. Would you mention you've talked to person X and he/she introduced you to whatever division you plan to intern in?
Original post by RWiz
Alright. I just thought networking had marginal effects when applying to big Bulge Bracket firms, unless you know a VP/MD or actually participated in Spring Week there.

How would you actually convert your so called networking in the application process. Would you mention you've talked to person X and he/she introduced you to whatever division you plan to intern in?

It's more about their perception of you and what they're willing to do for you than what you can do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone finished a levels recently ( waiting to start uni) and made a start on spring week applications? They're probably not open but just increasing awareness of different divisions and stuff?

Also anyone know any good sites for background reading into IB regarding all the different divisions and more?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gladiatorsword
Anyone finished a levels recently ( waiting to start uni) and made a start on spring week applications? They're probably not open but just increasing awareness of different divisions and stuff?

Also anyone know any good sites for background reading into IB regarding all the different divisions and more?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, this is the summer internship thread. Wait until the SW one gets more active.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interesting, I heard they got rid of tests from A but might be for the spring week only dunno.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The actual online application process has traditionally been the exact same whether you apply for SI or SW. So it would be highly unusual just to remove it for the SW and nothing else. Where it differs is at the interview stage.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending