The Student Room Group

How to deal with a bully

So I go to football practice, I'm 26 just graduated and this guy is 36 with 2 young children and a wife.

I remember I went to the pub with him and some people and he made a comment about "I look in the mirror trying to like a barbie girl".

On tuesday at footie practice in the park. this new guy was playing well and the guy said "his our secret weapon" and the 36 year old guy with 2 children remarked "who, my name" sarcastically and people started smirking.

He obviously holds me in low regard and makes fun just to have a few laughs. I'm sure he'll say it again some time.

He obviously has no respect for me and holds me in low regards. He doesn't say any demeaning comments about/to other people, only to me.

I've told him I've had a few interview offers for Computing and IT jobs and I'm seeking software offers.

He has not done well in his career at all, he is just a 'records assistant', he is not a manager, not in a senior position.

I'm been developing my own apps and someone has told me I'm good enough to also run a side app business on top of my career.

So what can I do? How do I handle this and fight back? He only targets me.
Reply 1
Jealousy. You'd think people would be more mature once they leave their teen years, but obviously not. Next time he says something demeaning, give him a mean 'banter-ish' (yes I hate that word) reply there and then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous

Seriously, just ignore the t**ser! You are adults, but if he wants to behave like a 10 year old, just let him. He might grow out of it one day, but there's no excuse or reason for you to sink to that level. If you can't ignore it, go and find some other grown ups to play footie with.
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply, I thought for a guy who's 37 he would be more mature, obviously he's not.

Jealousy, in the sense I'm young and going to do well and better than him? I don't think he wants to be second best to me.

If I do reply back, he will get aggressive and say this and that.
Honestly, he sounds pathetic. You need to confront him and get answers. Make sure there are witnesses about, incase it turns ugly. You'd think for a 36 year old with a family, he'd be much more mature, but it seems not. Anyways, good luck.
Reply 5
Sorry, I meant into his 37th year.

I'm just going to be normal, I don't care and I'm not affected, this will hurt him and hurt his ego I'm not affected and doing well in my life.

I'm not going to react at all.

He goes to the pub a lot and I'm sure he says silly things about me behind my back too.
I would just ignore it tbh. The fact you're doing better than him should be enough of a win for you. If he carries on and you don't respond he'll either get bored or make himself look a **** in front of other people because the bants is all one way.

You do seem a bit thin skinned though imo.
Reply 7
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciated.

It doesn't affect me since I know he's got strong emotion in saying these comments, its there to put me down, make me feel bad tbh.

I'll ignore it and if somebody says why ain't you fighting back I'll just say "I'm doing well in life/better than him, so I'm happy unlike him".
Reply 8
I pity that guy.

36 and having to tear others down to build himself up.

Just ignore him. You have much more going for you. :wink:
Reply 9
Thank you for all the replies guys! Very much appreciated.
So this guy has a nerve, we are playing a match tomorrow and there are two matches and there are only 20 players, he selects himself and me for playing two matches with my younger cousin being captain.I know he wants to embarrass me and show me up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending