The Student Room Group

Rejection from entry level jobs

I keep on getting unsuccessful application for entry level jobs it's getting annoying now how do people get past the application stage
Have you asked for feedback? Maybe have someone look over your CV for you and give you a mock interview. It'll help work out how you;re coming across on paper and in person.
Reply 2
Original post by Jee1
I keep on getting unsuccessful application for entry level jobs it's getting annoying now how do people get past the application stage

Do you previously have any NHS experience?
Reply 3
NHS is competitive to get into you should try a wider range of companies
Reply 4
Original post by sabana
NHS is competitive to get into you should try a wider range of companies

The thing is why is it? Its low paid I'm only going to do it for a year if I get the job then I'd move on
Reply 5
Original post by Jee1
The thing is why is it? Its low paid I'm only going to do it for a year if I get the job then I'd move on

Its a large organisation and well known so a lot of people will apply, some of which will have a lot of prior experience either in NHS or outside the NHS. If you havn't got a much experience that could be what is letting you down. Also the fact you have a degree tends to put employers off accepting graduates because they believe you wont stick around for long. You should try other companies, my first role outside of uni was at a very small company which isn't very well known and I sent off more than 50 applications before I got my first entry level job after uni. Good luck in your endeavours.
Original post by Jee1

Generally public sector/not for profit jobs typically have lower salaries than in the private sector because they have less money to spend on salaries. And maybe the fact you don't want to stick around is reflected in the job applications you've made, employers look for enthusiasm for the role. As with others I would ask someone to review your applications, your old uni careers centre may be able to help still.
Original post by J-SP
4 job applications in a 5 month window is not a lot, and so is not a lot of rejections.Keep preserving and look for other opportunities, whether with the NHS or outside of it.

This^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jee1

You clearly need to broaden your search. By only searching within one company, you won't get very far.
Apply to different companies...other than the NHS or maybe your CV and cover letter isn't up to scratch?

You need to think of other ways of searching for jobs effectively. If experience (which is most likely for young people) is the issue, try internship or volunteer at your local charity shop - anything to let them know you are trying and doing something.
Original post by Jee1
--- people get past the application stage

yeah i just wanted to say im in the same position as you at the moment

i've noticed people tell you to just apply for more jobs - which doesn't really answer your question as to why you got rejected

entry level jobs sometimes say you need a-levels and no experience, but some people with postgrad degrees and experience will come along and take the job from you - its annoying

ive learnt that apparently you qualifications and skills need to be very specific to their person specification / job description - i dont know... also some employers dont seem to read properly the application form people send to them... its very weird indeed.....

i hope more people can help with that.:colonhash:
anyone else can help out with that ??? - what websites would you recommend?
indeed.co.uk, jobs.ac.uk, etc... ?
Original post by UCLScienceMan365
yeah i just wanted to say im in the same position as you at the moment

i've noticed people tell you to just apply for more jobs - which doesn't really answer your question as to why you got rejected

entry level jobs sometimes say you need a-levels and no experience, but some people with postgrad degrees and experience will come along and take the job from you - its annoying

ive learnt that apparently you qualifications and skills need to be very specific to their person specification / job description - i dont know... also some employers dont seem to read properly the application form people send to them... its very weird indeed.....

i hope more people can help with that.:colonhash:

You clearly haven't been in the job market very long have you?

It all counts to practical experience unfortunately, as qualifications aren't always sufficient to pass the application stage.

An employer may state you don't need experience (but will be a bonus), even in entry level jobs.
However if there are that many people applying for the same job and some of the candidates have experience and some others don't have that experience, then the ones who do have experience may have the upper hand at this stage, hence why they are the ones who will be shortlisted to attend an interview. This is to save time as employers would need you to learn (their culture) and work extremely fast.

Even, as a graduate for example - you obviously need a degree but thats not even sufficient to tick all of the boxes. My former university course mate applied for many retail graduate jobs because she had nearly 1 year of experience however she realised many more people has more retail experience than her (in multiple companies with 1 year duration apart).

This is called competition and a catch 22.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes 4 applications isn't alot at all, before I went back to education I had a long work history, even then realistically only 1 out of every 10-20 applications would result in an interview.
Original post by loooopppyyy
Yes 4 applications isn't alot at all, before I went back to education I had a long work history, even then realistically only 1 out of every 10-20 applications would result in an interview.

Thats why OP shouldn't just apply for the same vacancy at the same company. They need to broaden their horizons.

I graduated exactly 2 years ago yesterday and ever since then I had applied for up to 60 jobs and only 25 would respond to my application, then only 1 company would hire me. Thats how bad things are.
Boreism
---

You haven’t read my post please read it again. What you say is repeating the exact same thing I said.
You haven’t read my post please read it again. What you say is repeating the exact same thing I said.

I did, but just expanded on your point a little bit that was all.

Volunteer work is always a help, my last period of unemployment was quite a few years due to family illness, I ended up volunteering at a charity shop and was offered a paid assistant manager role in a few months, even if you don't get internal promotions, volunteering and keeping yourself busy instead of claiming JSA and not doing much looks good on your C.V.

Another line of work would be the op is looking for assistant/reception roles, I think a year or so as a receptionist elsewhere would be a good fit with your degree for getting considered again by the NHS, lots of gyms look for receptionists which can create good networking opportunities, its not just muscle heads that go (I guess in a way its health related too which would be a talking point in a potential future interview).
Original post by Boreism
I did, but just expanded on your point a little bit that was all.

ok

:smile:
Original post by zed963
Do you previously have any NHS experience?

I got rejected from an interview of entry level Physiotherapy assistant job due to lack of NHS experience. But how am i supposed to get NHS experience without getting into the NHS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending