The Student Room Group

Everyone around me is attractive, and it hurts.

I just........I'm tired of looking around and feeling so inferior to everyone. I'm a girl, and my friends, friends of friends are SO SO pretty. TBH, it's not something I've ever.....worried about. I'm not shallow, I promise, and I know you have to look beneath the surface. I've been a kind of "messt hair, no care" sort of person, a bit of a non-concerned-with-looks and she-doesn't-care-that-she's-not-beautiful kind of person. At least, that's the front I put up.

Everywhere I look, these girls, wearing these amazing crop tops, with their 35-25-35 selves looking so amazing and then.....there's me. There's just sad old me.

I'm not asking for compliments. I'm not asking for "I'm sure you're pretty too" and I'm not fishing for praises. I just want to feel pretty. Is that just a bad thing?

How do you cope? How do you deal with feeling really ugly?

I apologise if this is just one of many similar threads, but, I think, the way I act, don't-carish, people forget I'm a girl too. And it matters to me. And i have no one to talk to about this stuff. No one who understands, anyway. (Except one friend who is really annoyed at me for thinking this way, but, I don't think she understands what I mean)

Scroll to see replies

Beauty is skin deep.

Spoiler

Original post by Galadrielll
Beauty is skin deep.

Spoiler

And that's what scares me. I'm not beautiful then. But I want to be. So badly.

Spoiler

Well you shot yourself in the foot because others will see your wall of "I dont care about beauty" and thus will be less inclined to offer advice or assistance
i am not beautiful either but i am beautiful inside :mmm:
Maximise your looks then. Get in to a fit shape (if you're not already), start using a bit of make up and do your hair.
Original post by fandom-queen
I just........I'm tired of looking around and feeling so inferior to everyone. I'm a girl, and my friends, friends of friends are SO SO pretty. TBH, it's not something I've ever.....worried about. I'm not shallow, I promise, and I know you have to look beneath the surface. I've been a kind of "messt hair, no care" sort of person, a bit of a non-concerned-with-looks and she-doesn't-care-that-she's-not-beautiful kind of person. At least, that's the front I put up.

Everywhere I look, these girls, wearing these amazing crop tops, with their 35-25-35 selves looking so amazing and then.....there's me. There's just sad old me.

I'm not asking for compliments. I'm not asking for "I'm sure you're pretty too" and I'm not fishing for praises. I just want to feel pretty. Is that just a bad thing?

How do you cope? How do you deal with feeling really ugly?

I apologise if this is just one of many similar threads, but, I think, the way I act, don't-carish, people forget I'm a girl too. And it matters to me. And i have no one to talk to about this stuff. No one who understands, anyway. (Except one friend who is really annoyed at me for thinking this way, but, I don't think she understands what I mean)

I'm gay and everytime I see a beautiful what straight people call " hot " they all *****y. My family (guys) tend to go for curvy girls (not fat but somewhat chubby) with no makeup to barely any makeup on... I think you'll be fine just don't overdo makeup... try visibly clear 2-in-1 face wash/mask instead of makeup or little bit of makeup your face will be much clear... I can't judge as I can't see but personality is also a pirority in my family trend anyway... I do same but just with guys...

Just personal note.. I perfer girls (friend wise) with flaws who are caring, nicer, funny in their own way... I also don't see the different from one girl to another just tends to do with makeup and hygiene and its what my family who are straight think too :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Well you shot yourself in the foot because others will see your wall of "I dont care about beauty" and thus will be less inclined to offer advice or assistance

I'm at this weird juxtaposition, where, I know I shouldn't care, but I do. I just don't want people to know that I care, because I'm scared they'll.......judge me? To the point where, I feel like, they may think, look at her, trying so hard, but, she'll never be pretty.

I know it's stupid, but, I can't help it. I really can't. I've tried so much, but, there's always a mirror close by.

Spoiler

Original post by fatima1998
i am not beautiful either but i am beautiful inside :mmm:

SIGH. The evergreen, beautiful inside line.

Spoiler

Original post by richpanda
Maximise your looks then. Get in to a fit shape (if you're not already), start using a bit of make up and do your hair.

I'm trying. I don't think it'll change much. But I'm trying.
Original post by ckfeister
I'm gay and everytime I see a beautiful what straight people call " hot " they all *****y. My family (guys) tend to go for curvy girls (not fat but somewhat chubby) with no makeup to barely any makeup on... I think you'll be fine just don't overdo makeup... try visibly clear 2-in-1 face wash/mask instead of makeup or little bit of makeup your face will be much clear... I can't judge as I can't see but personality is also a pirority in my family trend anyway... I do same but just with guys...

Just personal note.. I perfer girls (friend wise) with flaws who are caring, nicer, funny in their own way... I also don't see the different from one girl to another just tends to do with makeup and hygiene and its what my family who are straight think too :biggrin:

I don't wear makeup (banned by my parents, plus, I hate it) and I am chubby. Thanks, you give me hope.

Spoiler

Well, don't compare yourself to others!

There is much more to you than just skin!Develop your self esteem, you are you, nobody is like you, nobody has the qualities like you, has life experiences like you and you have your own life!You could try to improve your diet, eating 5 fruit and veg a day will help, so will drinking 8 glasses of water a day. Go to the gym, get fit.

Think you are a beautiful person, be a beautiful person, if you are kind, compassionate, fair, generous, have integrity than you are a beautiful person!

I remember when I thought beautiful; things about people and were kind to others I did notice myself become a bit more good looking, I hope this happens to you!I wish you all the best!
Original post by Analyst89
Well, don't compare yourself to others!

There is much more to you than just skin!Develop your self esteem, you are you, nobody is like you, nobody has the qualities like you, has life experiences like you and you have your own life!You could try to improve your diet, eating 5 fruit and veg a day will help, so will drinking 8 glasses of water a day. Go to the gym, get fit.

Think you are a beautiful person, be a beautiful person, if you are kind, compassionate, fair, generous, have integrity than you are a beautiful person!

I remember when I thought beautiful; things about people and were kind to others I did notice myself become a bit more good looking, I hope this happens to you!I wish you all the best!

Yeah......comparison is the bane of my life.

Spoiler

Original post by fandom-queen
I just........I'm tired of looking around and feeling so inferior to everyone. I'm a girl, and my friends, friends of friends are SO SO pretty. TBH, it's not something I've ever.....worried about. I'm not shallow, I promise, and I know you have to look beneath the surface.

guys dont care about what what's beneath the surface. if you not pretty or have tits & ass, they're not interested.
stop crying about it
do somethin about it
Original post by Esoteric-
guys dont care about what what's beneath the surface. if you not pretty or have tits & ass, they're not interested.

Okay, here's the thing right, my definition of feeling good about myself does not revolve around what a guy thinks of me. Yeah, if I like someone and they don't reciprocate, it does make me feel bad, but, that's definitely not the only reason I feel inferior. If you look at my passage, I speak mainly in terms of how good other GIRLS look. No mention of a guy there.
Yup, give me a second, I'll just arrange some plastic surgery for myself.

Spoiler

You don't need to wear loads of makeup, when I feel ugly a bit of concealer, mascara and bronzer can make a WORLD of a difference! Maybe get a new haircut or a new pair of jeans that make your legs look great or buy a new top or something, it's the little things you need to do to make yoursel feel better. I know you didn't want anyone to say this but you're probably not as ugly as you feel, there are plenty of people who are gorgeous but still feel insecure and inadequate just like you. Xx
Reply 18
So, with the very pretty brigade you're either in or you're not and its about your genes and there's precious little you can do about it. And the reality is that the majority are not there.

But then, for everyone else, there is making the best of what you've got physically, using your feminine/masculine traits and personality to good effect. Add the opposite sex are in exactly the same situation. The best approach is positive energy and keep going, and then it comes.
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
You don't need to wear loads of makeup, when I feel ugly a bit of concealer, mascara and bronzer can make a WORLD of a difference! Maybe get a new haircut or a new pair of jeans that make your legs look great or buy a new top or something, it's the little things you need to do to make yoursel feel better. I know you didn't want anyone to say this but you're probably not as ugly as you feel, there are plenty of people who are gorgeous but still feel insecure and inadequate just like you. Xx

Yeah.....I guess that's decent advice. Thanks :-)

Spoiler

Latest