The Student Room Group

How to do the magic chalk scene in Matilda ?? (w/o the budget !!)

Ok, so I’m doing an amateur (really amateur, with no proper budget) for a school comp. We need a brilliant mind to help come up with a way to do the chalk scene where the chalk is writing with nobody touching it on a chalkboard. We’ve already got a way to do the cup tipping over scene, with some transparent thread but this scene is crazzzzzzy hard. pls no unnecessary replies saying that it’s impossible or just don’t it. We’ll find a way eventually. So far, I’ve scoured the internet and the way the Musical did it was with a plastic board that looks like a chalkboard and a screen with the letters and magnetic chalkboard and ppl would move the chalk as light is let thru the plastic to reveal the words on the screen. for OBVIOUS reasons, this is beyond ridiculous. I don’t mind spending a lil bit of money to get material, so long as it isn’t crazy expensive but yh, pls help !:frown::frown:
Reply 1
Original post by unknowntsr
Ok, so I’m doing an amateur (really amateur, with no proper budget) for a school comp. We need a brilliant mind to help come up with a way to do the chalk scene where the chalk is writing with nobody touching it on a chalkboard. We’ve already got a way to do the cup tipping over scene, with some transparent thread but this scene is crazzzzzzy hard. pls no unnecessary replies saying that it’s impossible or just don’t it. We’ll find a way eventually. So far, I’ve scoured the internet and the way the Musical did it was with a plastic board that looks like a chalkboard and a screen with the letters and magnetic chalkboard and ppl would move the chalk as light is let thru the plastic to reveal the words on the screen. for OBVIOUS reasons, this is beyond ridiculous. I don’t mind spending a lil bit of money to get material, so long as it isn’t crazy expensive but yh, pls help !:frown::frown:

Without being particularly techy could you do something with magnets? So like a magnet which could embedded in the chalk and then have someone behind the chalk board moving it?

If you or someone you know has the skills or the time to learn how to do it, you might be able to do it in post. Make the chalk move and the writing appear after filming. It might be a little difficult but there's probably YouTube tutorials that can help you out
Reply 3
Original post by randdom
Without being particularly techy could you do something with magnets? So like a magnet which could embedded in the chalk and then have someone behind the chalk board moving it?

we were thinking this, but the only problem is getting a magnet strong enough and making sure the chalk doesn’t fall;apart for any reason. thank you for the reply, however, i’ll put it forward to the team
Reply 4
Original post by chelseadagg3r
If you or someone you know has the skills or the time to learn how to do it, you might be able to do it in post. Make the chalk move and the writing appear after filming. It might be a little difficult but there's probably YouTube tutorials that can help you out

unfortunately, it is a theatre production (should’ve specified) but we defy would have done it in post production if we could have !
we were thinking this, but the only problem is getting a magnet strong enough and making sure the chalk doesn’t fall;apart for any reason. thank you for the reply, however, i’ll put it forward to the team

Use a black board and very white chalk let the actor wear a green suit.
Make sure nothing else green in scene, then just chroma key.
Never personally done anything with an actor wearing green but always use green screen backgrounds.
So might work.
Or just use the hand and key out instead of whole person.
Edit: just seen its for theater :getmecoat:
(edited 7 years ago)
could you use clay to make a 'piece of chalk' and embed a magnet in it? I have a kit from hobbycraft containing clay and magnets that cost about £6 and im sure you could find cheaper! then once youve made the chalk, glue/tape a little real chalk on the end of it? Make the chalk piece a little larger than normal so it doesnt break! from afar no-one will no the difference? I dont know if thos would work but you could always give it a go!
Reply 7

Could you do something with lighting and someone in a black morph suit?

Or, perhaps you could have a "Matilda's mind" character that does those things for you.

You could maybe write on the "chalkboard" then cover it with a black paper strip that fed through a hole to the back then put plastic over the front. Then have one person pull the strip to reveal the words and another use a magnet with a fake chalk.

Or maybe use chalk paint on cardboard and have some kind of thick knife thing and a person drags it around (joined up writing!) so they make holes in the letter shapes, and someone else moves white paper behind it so it looks like white writing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I ask how you effected this in the end?
How did you manage it in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest