The Student Room Group

Cursing and parents as an adult

I'm a 20 year old student, I live at home during the summer. I curse/swear occasionally, my parents rant and rave at me and about me when I curse.

My mother acts like i've comitted a 'crime' when I do use any sort of profanity. She nags at me on a regular basis about the cursing that I do.

I will continue to swear because I don't see anything wrong with it, I don't particularly swear or curse in public and when I do it isn't at a frequency that I would regard as unhealthy.

As a 20 year old I don't appreciate my parents telling me not to curse/how to articulate myself especially when they themselves curse on a daily basis.

Is there much of anything that I can do to curtail their behaviour? I don't see why I should coporate if my parents are doing the same thing.
Their house, their rules tbf.
Reply 2
If they use profanity occasionally maybe it's your turn to mention and criticize it?
Why don't you all agree to have a swear box. Everytime one of uses a swear word or curse than you have to pop an agreed amount say 50p or a £1 into it. *This will help you to lose this bad habit and the money you collect than can be used for something you all enjoy doing. . *There is absolutely no need to swear and in the long run losing this habit will help you all.*
Tell 'em to f off
Bring it up with them in a respectful manner, I'm sure they'd understand and cooperate.

My parents swear at me and my siblings all the time in their language. It doesn't really bother me as everyone in my family knows they don't mean it, its all bants.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm glad my home is not like that.

There should be respect between the parents & the children. If there is any problem, it's always best to talk in a civilised manner. No need for swearing. I feel that just makes things worse
Lol my mum swears at me all the time :h:
Reply 8
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Their house, their rules tbf.

This.

I don't understand why people are telling you to tell your parents to F off or have the talk with them. Its their house. If you have a problem don't come home for summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Tell 'em to f off

Not everyone's a stupid/ disrespectful douche to their parents you know. People have morals.
To the OP- just take your parents advice into account.
Don't assume your parents are being hypocritical. If you think so, then why not talk to them and come up with a compromise? Perhaps set up a family challenge, where everyone puts £1 into a jar for every time someone swears?
I'm thinking of trying this out with my family too, seeing as my siblings swear a lot- which annoys me :angry:
I hope everything works out between you and your parents
Original post by S1939
Not everyone's a stupid/ disrespectful douche to their parents you know. People have morals.
To the OP- just take your parents advice into account.
Don't assume your parents are being hypocritical. If you think so, then why not talk to them and come up with a compromise? Perhaps set up a family challenge, where everyone puts £1 into a jar for every time someone swears?
I'm thinking of trying this out with my family too, seeing as my siblings swear a lot- which annoys me :angry:
I hope everything works out between you and your parents

Lel
Original post by A321
This.

I don't understand why people are telling you to tell your parents to F off or have the talk with them. Its their house. If you have a problem don't come home for summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This
Just tone it down while you're at home? It's not exactly difficult to not swear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending