The Student Room Group

Things I can use as an ID?

Hey!

I'm going to uni in September but I'm a bit worried about proving my age while going out or buying things (I've turned 18 in June). I can't drive so I don't have a license and I personally refuse to carry my passport around everywhere due to being an international student and the pain I know I'll go through if I miss place it ect. I have a international ID card but I've heard that its very unlikely anyway will accept that haha.

What have you used in the past? Will a student card or something work?

Thanks
Reply 1
A drawing and some important info on some paper should do...

Spoiler

Spoiler

You will get a student cards. All the local establishments should recognise it. I am sure you will be fine.
Reply 3
Bring your passport ....
Alternatively, just buy a provisional licence for £34 and that'll be valid for 10 years, since it's the most widely recognised form of ID alongside a passport, and your student card may not have your DoB on it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Fi101
Hey!

I'm going to uni in September but I'm a bit worried about proving my age while going out or buying things (I've turned 18 in June). I can't drive so I don't have a license and I personally refuse to carry my passport around everywhere due to being an international student and the pain I know I'll go through if I miss place it ect. I have a international ID card but I've heard that its very unlikely anyway will accept that haha.

What have you used in the past? Will a student card or something work?

Thanks

Some places will accept a card bearing a 'PASS' hologram, especially a citizencard. These are quite cheap. They are government and police approved, and associated with the challenge 25 scheme that lots of places use, but in practice you'll find some people ignore this and wont accept them, particularly hired bouncers. If you only really wanted it for supermarket shopping you'd be fine, and non-chain pubs are usually fine but for clubbing it's pretty hit and miss.

Sadly the only real IDs that you're properly safe with in the UK are a passport or provisional driving licence. If you're eligible for one of these (don't know international rules) I'd recommend getting one as it's just easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thanks guys! I'll look into getting a provisional driving licence. Kinda just looking for a card like item that would be easy to carry around (unlike a passport)
My apologies - I should have read your question more closely. As you're an international student, you should be able to apply for a UK provisional licence (here) provided you can reasonably be deemed resident in this country. According to the DVLA (the agency in charge of vehicle licensing)
For example, a student who enrols in a 3-year course here and only returns home for short periods each year would be considered to be resident from the date he/she arrives.

You would need to send them your passport and (if relevant) visa or residency card, but they would (obviously) send them back - although they only promise to do so within a month.
Original post by kpwxx
Some places will accept a card bearing a 'PASS' hologram, especially a citizencard. These are quite cheap. They are government and police approved, and associated with the challenge 25 scheme that lots of places use, but in practice you'll find some people ignore this and wont accept them, particularly hired bouncers. If you only really wanted it for supermarket shopping you'd be fine, and non-chain pubs are usually fine but for clubbing it's pretty hit and miss.

Sadly the only real IDs that you're properly safe with in the UK are a passport or provisional driving licence. If you're eligible for one of these (don't know international rules) I'd recommend getting one as it's just easier

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Pass" cards are probably the safest as business have to accept them
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by SosbanFach
My apologies - I should have read your question more closely. As you're an international student, you should be able to apply for a UK provisional licence (here) provided you can reasonably be deemed resident in this country. According to the DVLA (the agency in charge of vehicle licensing)

You would need to send them your passport and (if relevant) visa or residency card, but they would (obviously) send them back - although they only promise to do so within a month.

Yup I'll look into it thanks! I think I'll take the online approach though
Reply 10
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
"Pass" cards are probably the safest as business have to accept them
Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately that's not the case. No business has to accept anything. My local police in my hometown actually advised a local business against accepting it, which I found infuriating! I did manage to convince my SU to change policy and accept them though! Ive also been declined entry to a chain pub by a bouncer standing in front of a challenge 25 poster with a picture of a pass logo on. It certainly would make sense for everywhere accept them and I'd say most SU's are likely to (many take student ID cards).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ByEeek
You will get a student cards. All the local establishments should recognise it. I am sure you will be fine.

They don't have your date of birth on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending