The Student Room Group

fp1 complex numbers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kinderbar
it just said in the question that p>0 so i know that q=-2 :smile:

I forgot about that. But even without that information you should still be able to decide.
Original post by B_9710
I forgot about that. But even without that information you should still be able to decide.

so the other angle with the positive x-axis would be something like 3pi/4 ?
so the other angle with the positive x-axis would be something like 3pi/4 ?

That's right.
Original post by B_9710
That's right.

So this Newton-Raphson numerical method in solving an equation where f(x)=0 where can i not use it?
So this Newton-Raphson numerical method in solving an equation where f(x)=0 where can i not use it?

What do you mean, where you can't use it?
You can use it on any equation if you've got an interval or know an approximation.
Original post by Chittesh14
What do you mean, where you can't use it?
You can use it on any equation if you've got an interval or know an approximation.

That;'s what i was looking for. thanks !
That;'s what i was looking for. thanks !

No problem :smile:.

The method can fail sometimes. See 'failure analysis' on Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_method
Original post by B_9710
The method can fail sometimes. See 'failure analysis' on Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_method

Every method fails :biggrin:. All of the 3 numerical methods are unreliable but some are more than others.
I'm just happy that they're worth so many marks in the exam apparently and the questions aren't as hard as they are in the textbook, or I should say long lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by B_9710

Should part (b) equal to 6root17

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469313742.836047.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 150
Should part (b) equal to 6root17

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it does.

Spoiler

Original post by MartyO
Yes it does.

Spoiler

Thanks, I knew it. The answers said 6root7 lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by B_9710

Original post by MartyO
Ye

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469317899.762688.jpg

Help part (B) please..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MartyO
Yes it does.

Spoiler

HelP on post above please.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 154
a) The gradient of the normal is equal to the opposite of the inverse of the gradient of the tangent.
mtmn=1m_t \cdot m_n = -1
You have to find the derivative of the hyperbola to find the equation of the normal at P, with the vertex formula of a line (at (x1,y1)(x_1, y_1)):
yy1=m(xx1)y-y_1=m(x-x_1)
Full demo:

Spoiler

b) We recall the formula for the normal at P, and have it intersect with y=xy=x. We solve for xx to find the coordinates of G.
Full demo:

Spoiler

From there, it's a matter of finding the distance between P and G and square it.
d2=(x2x1)2+(y2y1)22d^2=\sqrt { (x_2 - x_1)^2 + (y_2 - y_1)^2 }^2
Full demo:

Spoiler

Original post by MartyO
a) The gradient of the normal is equal to the opposite of the inverse of the gradient of the tangent.
mtmn=1m_t \cdot m_n = -1
You have to find the derivative of the hyperbola to find the equation of the normal at P, with the vertex formula of a line (at (x1,y1)(x_1, y_1)):
yy1=m(xx1)y-y_1=m(x-x_1)
Full demo:

Spoiler

b) We recall the formula for the normal at P, and have it intersect with y=xy=x. We solve for xx to find the coordinates of G.
Full demo:

Spoiler

From there, it's a matter of finding the distance between P and G and square it.
d2=(x2x1)2+(y2y1)22d^2=\sqrt { (x_2 - x_1)^2 + (y_2 - y_1)^2 }^2
Full demo:

Spoiler

I've done part a already and got it correct. It's part b I need help on. Can you reattach the images for part b, they don't work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 156
I've done part a already and got it correct. It's part b I need help on. Can you reattach the images for part b, they don't work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here:

Spoiler

Reply 157
[video]http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/further-maths/coordinate-geometry/parabola/tangent-normal/cartesian/example-1.php[/video]
In this video he uses implicit diff which i don't know how to do so i just square rooted both sides and used c1 diff from there to get tangents and normals but the implicit diff method gives the tangent and normal on the point (9,-12) so do i need to include all the tangents and normals?
Original post by MartyO
Here:

Spoiler

Thanks man, I love you.
That question was so fkin hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MartyO
Here:

Spoiler

Can u help me on this too

Part b

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469367199.868678.jpg