The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

So i got a place on a masters, then they took it away again, now i may have one?

I have an interview on Monday to discuss with VIPs whether i can do it (a place on a masters in education at derby, with no placement component). Wish me luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All the best! :smile:
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
As long as you're not going to end up teaching young teenage girls should be fine
Reply 3
Original post by Little Popcorns
As long as you're not going to end up teaching young teenage girls should be fine

Why is that lol?
Reply 4
Original post by Little Popcorns

Thanks popcorns. Because of my criminal record, it is going to be unlikely that i can teach any one at all, at least not in the near future. After the masters it is my aim to get a doctoral degree, and from there possibly some research post.

I agree it wouldn't be good to do that.
Reply 5
Original post by h333
Why is that lol?

i think she thinks that i am some kind of pervert? :wink:
Original post by john2054
Thanks popcorns. Because of my criminal record, it is going to be unlikely that i can teach any one at all, at least not in the near future.

How comes? What happened?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mercuryman
How comes? What happened?

i'm not entirely sure myself. It happened six/seven years ago when i was in acute psychiatric detention, and definitely includes a written formal caution for assault, and may include something even worse than that.

But i am waiting for a enhanced criminal record check to come back, before fully deciding on what to do.

That being said i am hoping to be able to do a purely academic masters, with no working in a teaching capacity at all, which i am hoping that i will be able to do, after all.

I find out on monday.
i'm not entirely sure myself. It happened six/seven years ago when i was in acute psychiatric detention, and definitely includes a written formal caution for assault, and may include something even worse than that.

But i am waiting for a enhanced criminal record check to come back, before fully deciding on what to do.

That being said i am hoping to be able to do a purely academic masters, with no working in a teaching capacity at all, which i am hoping that i will be able to do, after all.

I find out on monday.

a formal caution is not a criminal record

I find out on monday.

Oh right, don't worry about it! I hope everything goes fine with your application for your masters.
I wish you the best of luck for Monday!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by neal95

a written caution is on the record for one hundred years. please check your facts
a written caution is on the record for one hundred years. please check your facts

so youve not actually been convicted of **** have you?
Reply 12
Original post by neal95

Cautions will always remain on a person's record.
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/q562.htm
Reply 13
Original post by neal95
so youve not actually been convicted of **** have you?

I'm not sure Neal. It all happened when i was in a bad space, and being very naughty. I hope that i haven't, but some things have happened recently such as i couldn't even get an interview for a local supermarket job near my house, and was turned down at the door for a number of charity shop jobs, which would lead me to believe that i do have a conviction.

They probably put one on my record in 2010, for something which i was called to answer charges for, but i wasn't able to make it to the police station (because i was in 24 hour lockdown in a lincolnshire low secure psychiatric detention centre.)

Hopefully all this will mean is that i can't do the placement component of the education masters, but as i said i find out on monday.
yours is a spent caution then, hence you don't need to disclose it? or are uni students classed as vulnerable people for the purposes of the 1974 act?? surely that seems unlikely?
(edited 7 years ago)
ent

I'm not sure Neal. It all happened when i was in a bad space, and being very naughty. I hope that i haven't, but some things have happened recently such as i couldn't even get an interview for a local supermarket job near my house, and was turned down at the door for a number of charity shop jobs, which would lead me to believe that i do have a conviction.

They probably put one on my record in 2010, for something which i was called to answer charges for, but i wasn't able to make it to the police station (because i was in 24 hour lockdown in a lincolnshire low secure psychiatric detention centre.)

Hopefully all this will mean is that i can't do the placement component of the education masters, but as i said i find out on monday.

ahh right good luck for the future mate, it seems harsh of them to penalise you if you are trying to do good in life tbh. I hope you get the position I am sure you will win the relevant people over
Reply 16
All the best
Reply 17
i think she thinks that i am some kind of pervert? :wink:

My notifs are not working :colonhash:

I hope not and I hope everything is alright :redface:
Reply 18
Original post by neal95
ent

ahh right good luck for the future mate, it seems harsh of them to penalise you if you are trying to do good in life tbh. I hope you get the position I am sure you will win the relevant people over

Thanks Neal, my caution will never be spent, because it involves a serious offence (assault). Even if i do claim it was acting in self defence.

I have tried to turn my life around that is right. And I have done a good job at it as well. Getting a 2.1 from Derby last month in Sociology with theatre studies recently.

Hopefully i can wing it with the powers that be when i see them next week, but i'm not trying to excuse what i have done. Just put it in context!
Thanks popcorns. Because of my criminal record, it is going to be unlikely that i can teach any one at all, at least not in the near future. After the masters it is my aim to get a doctoral degree, and from there possibly some research post.

I agree it wouldn't be good to do that.

What's on your criminal record?

Quick Reply

Latest