The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ezme39
Really shouldn't watch horror films; it sets off my paranoia so much aha, and it doesn't exactly need much help at the moment :P

:lol: exact same here, kept dreaming I was drowning so had the great idea to look up videos of freediving and the deepest indoor pool :colondollar:
sometimes it can help though I guess? if you make something sort of irrational rational?
hope you feel better soon anyway lovely :hugs:

~Anon 1
I've been depressed for as long as i can remember but this is the first time i've just felt like crying every day. Kind of sick of taking out my perpetual rage/dissatosfaction on everyone around me. Wish i'd never been born tbh but i cant do anytbing about it because i know what that woyld do to my family.
Original post by Anonymous
:lol: exact same here, kept dreaming I was drowning so had the great idea to look up videos of freediving and the deepest indoor pool :colondollar:
sometimes it can help though I guess? if you make something sort of irrational rational?
hope you feel better soon anyway lovely :hugs:

~Anon 1

That probably wasn't the greatest solution aha :lol:
Yeah maybe! and thanks :hugs: I'm rubbish when it comes to dealing with stuff like this
Original post by JordanL_
I've been depressed for as long as i can remember but this is the first time i've just felt like crying every day. Kind of sick of taking out my perpetual rage/dissatosfaction on everyone around me. Wish i'd never been born tbh but i cant do anytbing about it because i know what that woyld do to my family.

Are you getting any kind of support at the moment? :hugs:
What should I do?

If I take my meds (aripiprazole and sertraline) I pile weight on and am miserable and uninterested in hobbies, but can hold my boring admin job.

If I stop it, weight falls off and I'm interested in stuff and happier, and I'll lose my job because I won't go in.
Original post by Ezme39
Are you getting any kind of support at the moment? :hugs:

Justtyped huge rant and then decided it was stupid :rofl: tldr i've tried pretty much all the support available and nothing works anymore

I hope you're doing okay :hugs:
Original post by Anonymous
Justtyped huge rant and then decided it was stupid :rofl: tldr i've tried pretty much all the support available and nothing works anymore

I hope you're doing okay :hugs:

That wasnt even mewnt to be anon :rofl:
So angry at myself for accidentally dropping my phone and smashing the screen earlier. Its the bloody last thing I need atm :cry2: hoping I can get a new contract tomorrow or a cheap second hand phone because mine is close to unusable now :frown:
If this ever get found and read by someone. Please note that I am not an expert. I don’t claim to know all the answers tolife and its troubles. I am basically a one person in the 7 billion peopleworld sharing their story in hopes that what I have learned would help at leastone person. It sounds sort of cheesy, but it true.I have always considered myself to sufferfrom anxiety.

Social anxiety, fear, depression etc. I believed that I had thesymptoms of every mental condition that screws with your head and stops youfrom achieving the things you want to do. I have seen and met many people who Ibelieve were in the same situation. Some people find empowering “you can do it!”speeches work and motivates them to leave that rut. Others turn to medication. PersonallyI don’t believe that this is a helpful solution. Don’t get me wrong, there is alot of evidence based medicine out there which have proven the theories that itworks. But I see this solution like this metaphor: let’s say a pipe burst andwater spills everywhere as a result. Instead of attending to the damaged pipe,you decided to place a bucket in front of the spewing water. Replacing thebucket each time it fills up. In the case the bucket represents the medicationand the water the mental issue. The medication works to fix the issue but onlytemporarily. The main problem still exists.

I have seen people that don’t pity those inmy position. They feel as though we are doing this on purpose. We are reallystupid because we have the tools in front of us but do nothing about it. Yes,we have the tools and means to do whatever we want to but we can’t. I can’tsometimes. Mental issue in my opinions is the worst sickness you can ever have.And to blame the individual is just wrong…to an extent. Let me explain. In mostcases there is an underlining reason why people allow themselves to sink intothis feeling. In my case it was fear of failure. If I never try I never fail. Simpleas. Fear of something bad occurring, if I was never there it can never happen. “I’mjust gonna stay in my little bubble and protect myself from the harsh reality oflife”. I waited for people to come save me. To show me the way and guide medown the right path so I don’t have to look for it myself. But after years of waitingI realised that no one is going to do that for me. I have to do it myself. Staying in that bubble helps you but italso destroys you. It saves you but also breaks you by not allowing you to dowhat makes you happy.

This is not an inspirational speech, it a reality check.If you don’t do the things that make you happy you’re going to regret it. Your bubblemay protect from the fear of failure but guess what? By staying in there youare guaranteed to fail. At least when you step out you have a chance ofsuccess. But you have to work hard to get it! I want you to imagine you had a magic wand. Now, dream up your perfect life (andbe realistic. No point in saying I want a billion dollar next week). Anythingat all that you want put in that dream and be as detailed as you can. Seems scary, huh? To even imagine it. But you can achieve it. Nothing in this world can’tbe gotten by hard work. Work hard. Look at your dream life and look at yourlife now, and think of the steps you need to get from A to B. Then go for it! Itis as simple as that.

It’s actually not as complicated as your mind makes itout to be (trust me, I know how screwed up things can get in there) Whenever you feel down recall that dream lifeand continue to work hard again. Lastly (as this is a long ass statement) besure to enjoy the journey. No need to punish yourself, enjoy yourself but do itcautiously- suffer now, to enjoy later J
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rubysmith
If this ever get found and read by someone. Please note that I am not an expert. I don’t claim to know all the answers tolife and its troubles. I am basically a one person in the 7 billion peopleworld sharing their story in hopes that what I have learned would help at leastone person. It sounds sort of cheesy, but it true.I have always considered myself to sufferfrom anxiety. Social anxiety, fear, depression etc. I believed that I had thesymptoms of every mental condition that screws with your head and stops youfrom achieving the things you want to do. I have seen and met many people who Ibelieve were in the same situation. Some people find empowering “you can do it!”speeches work and motivates them to leave that rut. Others turn to medication. PersonallyI don’t believe that this is a helpful solution. Don’t get me wrong, there is alot of evidence based medicine out there which have proven the theories that itworks. But I see this solution like this metaphor: let’s say a pipe burst andwater spills everywhere as a result. Instead of attending to the damaged pipe,you decided to place a bucket in front of the spewing water. Replacing thebucket each time it fills up. In the case the bucket represents the medicationand the water the mental issue. The medication works to fix the issue but onlytemporarily. The main problem still exists. I have seen people that don’t pity those inmy position. They feel as though we are doing this on purpose. We are reallystupid because we have the tools in front of us but do nothing about it. Yes,we have the tools and means to do whatever we want to but we can’t. I can’tsometimes. Mental issue in my opinions is the worst sickness you can ever have.And to blame the individual is just wrong…to an extent. Let me explain. In mostcases there is an underlining reason why people allow themselves to sink intothis feeling. In my case it was fear of failure. If I never try I never fail. Simpleas. Fear of something bad occurring, if I was never there it can never happen. “I’mjust gonna stay in my little bubble and protect myself from the harsh reality oflife”. I waited for people to come save me. To show me the way and guide medown the right path so I don’t have to look for it myself. But after years of waitingI realised that no one is going to do that for me. I have to do it myself. Staying in that bubble helps you but italso destroys you. It saves you but also breaks you by not allowing you to dowhat makes you happy. This is not an inspirational speech, it a reality check.If you don’t do the things that make you happy you’re going to regret it. Your bubblemay protect from the fear of failure but guess what? By staying in there youare guaranteed to fail. At least when you step out you have a chance ofsuccess. But you have to work hard to get it! I want you to imagine you had a magic wand. Now, dream up your perfect life (andbe realistic. No point in saying I want a billion dollar next week). Anythingat all that you want put in that dream and be as detailed as you can. Seemsscary, huh? To even imagine it. But you can achieve it. Nothing in this world can’tbe gotten by hard work. Work hard. Look at your dream life and look at yourlife now, and think of the steps you need to get from A to B. Then go for it! Itis as simple as that. It’s actually not as complicated as your mind makes itout to be (trust me, I know how screwed up things can get in there) Whenever you feel down recall that dream lifeand continue to work hard again. Lastly (as this is a long ass statement) besure to enjoy the journey. No need to punish yourself, enjoy yourself but do itcautiously- suffer now, to enjoy later J

You might want to look at putting in this into paragraphs to make it easier to read for people :smile:
I'm afraid. I came over here in 2009 I ran away from abusive family I lost three people I thought I meant the world to I had a baby daughter who was taken from me because her mum used those people to make me out to be wrong. I don't have a single friend here I lost my job from trying to hard and I just got back home after a trial shift, forgetting my keys, perched on my doorstep wondering why God hasn't ended my life yet. Please help me I can't kill myself
Such a **** night
Original post by Anon1986
I'm afraid. I came over here in 2009 I ran away from abusive family I lost three people I thought I meant the world to I had a baby daughter who was taken from me because her mum used those people to make me out to be wrong. I don't have a single friend here I lost my job from trying to hard and I just got back home after a trial shift, forgetting my keys, perched on my doorstep wondering why God hasn't ended my life yet. Please help me I can't kill myself

Hello? How do you feel now?
Original post by Jojohnson12345
What should I do?

If I take my meds (aripiprazole and sertraline) I pile weight on and am miserable and uninterested in hobbies, but can hold my boring admin job.

If I stop it, weight falls off and I'm interested in stuff and happier, and I'll lose my job because I won't go in.

They don't sound like they're helping but you really need to go to your GP to discuss this.
:hugs: to all who had a bad night

Original post by Jojohnson12345
What should I do?

I'm on the same meds combination and am told it's the best for not gaining weight. So you may wish to examine other potential causes :yes:

It sounds like you need a review of whether the Sertraline dose ought to be increased, or whether you need to try a different SSRI :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12

Sorry to hear that, hope you can :s-smilie: did wonder reading your PhD blog the other day but never got round to commenting :redface: getting some done is good though. And thanks, probably mostly good stuff in the long run just takes some getting my head round and not sure what to make of it all. Might actually finally be getting some help apart from anything else but not even sure as I want it. Will get there eventually...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really hope you can get some good help - you both need and deserve it :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12

That's just bad :/ is there any way you can request to see someone else, talk to your GP about it? Hard to do and shouldn't be in the situation in the first place but yeah. You deserve better than that, and so do her other patients as you say. Refusing to talk about what people need to will never help anybody, especially where they could be in danger

Yeah, definitely will mention it to my GP, I'm due back in 2 weeks. I know I'm going to go downhill when uni starts again and I'm determined to not let MH stuff ruin my final year.

Hope you're well furry, haven't spoken in ages :hugs:
Another awful day to add to the millions :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CaitlinN15
Another awful day to add to the millions :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Welcome to the Soc! :hi: Sorry to hear bout you health problems (both physical and mental) :frown: We're here to help in any small way poss :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's going away tomorrow :h:

Please get me a bottle to contain my euphoria

Latest