The Student Room Group

Want to campaign for the 16 year old vote?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChrisN
Great post.

Thank you!
No, it should be raised to 21.
Reply 82
Original post by CherishFreedom
But your post is about campaigning to allow all 16 and 17 year olds to vote. Your selective example does not indicate that the majority of them are politically aware enough to be able to form an educated decision. One would naturally expect that a debating society would consists of students engaging in debates.

We must at one point draw a line between those who are mature enough to vote and those who aren't. In my opinion 18 year olds does not have enough life experience to vote, let alone 16 and 17 year olds.

Under 18s also tend to have very limited responsibility in society, as most have yet to pay tax and live on their own. In other words, they should experience life a little longer so that they are more well-rounded and hence more likely to hold a balanced and educated view.

I'm not saying that every 16 and 17 year olds are like this, but one must consider whether the age group is overall capable of knowing what's best for themselves and the country. In a situation where we cannot discriminate, we must consider the overall likelihood and make a judgement. At the moment I think the current age requirement is right, if not even slightly generous.

If you introduce politics into the national curriculum, you can make those who aren't mature enough to vote have the required knowledge to vote and make informed decisions, and knowledge and an understanding of politics is more important than life experience when it comes to voting, IMHO.
I think it'll be a great idea. It's our future. Especially with the EU referendum. I wish I could've voted remain, as then I might've benn able to go to a German Uni, but now that seems to be impossible... :frown:
Shouldn't be allowed.
I'm sick of this crap people are coming out with wherein they think the exclusion of 16-17 year olds is injustice; wait like everyone else has!
Obviously this shite would originate from Brighton....

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. 16 year olds arent old enough. 18 has done ok by everyone for ages. If you have 16 now, then you will have 14 the next time and 12 the next.
I thought TSR was a private ciompany for profit and not a registered charity?
Now makes me deeply suspicious of their motives.
As Winston Churchill said: "the best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter." To recquire an understanding of politics to vote is by its nature undemocratic. In America they used to have literacy tests in order to vote. The greatest effect these had were to prevent black people from voting (1950s). The only fair, unprejudiced and logical way to filter those voting is by age. People under 18 are mostly immature and would not even turn out to vote. (Look at how low the turn out in the referendum was for 18-24 year olds.) Children-which is what under 18s are-do not even have fully developed minds. The only reason the Labour Party are pretending to support this inherently flawed agenda is because a lot of young people (who would bother to vote, which is a minority) are illogically ultra-liberal. While childhood optimism is good to see, it merely highlights their lack of life experience and unsuitability to vote. This is all coming from a 15 year old. Rant over!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya,

We're just putting out another call for any 16-17 year olds on TSR who are interested in having the right to vote in elections and referendums.

If you are interested, please PM me or reply below and we'll be in touch again soon.

Jack
More than happy to help ... Please add me to the private forum
I'm 16 so I'm biased, but I think that 16 & 17 year olds should be able to vote. If they make uneducated decisions about the future of their country, at least they're making decisions about the future of their country. Besides, voting isn't compulsory. Only the 16 and 17 year olds who have an opinion and want to vote will vote.
Original post by 999tigger
No. 16 year olds arent old enough. 18 has done ok by everyone for ages. If you have 16 now, then you will have 14 the next time and 12 the next.
I thought TSR was a private ciompany for profit and not a registered charity?
Now makes me deeply suspicious of their motives.

While I sort of agree I'm in favour of allowing them to vote.

The reasons being you can have sex(and kids by extension) and move out at 16, so for all intents and purposes someone could be living independently and working with a family before they're 18 yet not allowed to vote, which seems unfair IMO.
Original post by h3rmit
If you introduce politics into the national curriculum, you can make those who aren't mature enough to vote have the required knowledge to vote and make informed decisions, and knowledge and an understanding of politics is more important than life experience when it comes to voting, IMHO.

Putting something in the curriculum would change nothing

Only those who are already interested will care.

What schools need to do is provide better platforms for debate.
Trust me most 16/17 year old couldn't care less about voting. I know that when I was 16 i didn't really know anything about politics. Im 18 now and in that time i've completely changed. You know maybe it would be a bit more feasible for the that if at 16, we were actually taught about how to vote, and how the voting system works and taxes and getting a job and all these important things in life instead of how to put a condom on a dildo. But alas i'm sure that once the whiners turn 18 they wouldn't care less about a vote for 16 year olds.
This is not an argument about who is mature and who isn't. If that is a legitimate argument surely immature people who are over 18 shouldn't be allowed to vote? That would never happen- It's a ridiculous idea.

Like the OP states people under 16 are able to marry, have children... The list goes on. They are also able to work, and hence pay taxes. Surely if someone pays into the system they should be allowed to have a say who runs that system!
Original post by ChrisN
== We believe 16 and 17 year olds deserve to be heard in elections. If you agree and would like to get involved in researching our approach and then campaigning for change, please get in touch==

Having worked at The Student Room for 10 years, and as a College Governor at Brighton and Hove Sixth Form College, I've been overwhelmed by the number of highly engaged young students having really well informed debates on key political issues. This is sometimes more than can be said for much of the adult population.

As you turn 16 and 17 you gain the rights to get married, have children, join the army, drive, fly planes, as well as the to go to adult prison. As young people, you will also have to live with the consequences of political decisions for longer than any of the rest of us. To me it feels like a relic from the past that your voice is excluded from important political decisions. You have a right for your opinions to be listened to at the highest levels, and on the most important issues.

During the EU referendum our polls showed that 82% of 16 and 17 year olds wanted to Remain, so clearly your views were not well represented by the general voting population. Interestingly though, 16 and 17 year olds polled similarly to 18-24 year olds - 75% of whom voted Remain (YouGov after the vote), so broadly in line with your closest peers.

Scotland lowered the voting age to 16 in 2014 for the independence vote, and are now extending it for all elections. With the current sweeping political change in the UK we feel that the time is right to follow their lead, and to push to get the UK parliament to adopt this progressive position.

So with that in mind, we would like to identify driven members of the TSR community who would like to get involved in researching, refining our position, and campaigning for this change, with the support of TSR to assist with political contacts, public relations and lobbying. We will consider whether to go this alone, or to join up with other organisations.

As TSR is used by 75% of the 16-24 population, and gets 8.5 million visits to our websites each month, we are often approached, and listened to, by the political establishment as well as other media, and we feel it is right to use this position to help drive through a change we feel so passionately about.

If this is a cause that you feel strongly that you would like to help with, then post your interest in here, and we will get a private forum set-up to start discussing the best route forwards.

We want to do our bit to ensure your voice is heard. We hope you do too, and will join us in making this happen.

We understand their will be differences of opinion on this subject, and that's fine too.

Thanks

Chris

I am 100% for this. While I know plenty of people my age who wouldn't be mature enough, I also know plenty who would (me included). Besides, there's going to be people in all age groups who wouldn't be able to make a decision, and I think that 16 is around the age that anyone who wants or is capable enough to be politically engaged will become so.
The age should increase if anything.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RuWill2001
This is not an argument about who is mature and who isn't. If that is a legitimate argument surely immature people who are over 18 shouldn't be allowed to vote? That would never happen- It's a ridiculous idea.

Like the OP states people under 16 are able to marry, have children... The list goes on. They are also able to work, and hence pay taxes. Surely if someone pays into the system they should be allowed to have a say who runs that system!

Like the OP states people under 16 are able to marry, have children - Not legally.
Original post by The-Hof123
I think it'll be a great idea. It's our future. Especially with the EU referendum. I wish I could've voted remain, as then I might've benn able to go to a German Uni, but now that seems to be impossible... :frown:

What on earth are you talking about? Comments like yours show why 16 year olds should not be able to vote, you are very uninformed and ignorant if you think that you are now unable to study in Germany.
I think that for important decisions, like the EU referendum, younger people should be able to vote as it will effect them more than older people... Other voting I wouldn't mind as much...
Original post by Tabstercat
How do you know "our generation" complain about not having kids at 50? None of the young generation are 50. You absolute melt.

1) Take a deep breath and calm your wrinkled balls.

1) Considering you take verything way too literally I assume you're new to the internet. Its called an hyperbole.

2) Thirdly, to answer your question, about "not having kids at 50": Thats what many people belonging to the pre-millenial generation have exhibited, and since our attitude towards children and marriage has worsened ever since its safe to assume it will be somewhat similiar.

4) And last but not least, thats my subjective oppinion.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending