The Student Room Group

umar39's GCSE Journey

Umar39's GCSE Journey
Brief Introduction (Academic and Personal)
Hello, I'm Umar and come September I will be in Year 11 which means GCSE exams!:afraid: This thread will be a motivator for me and for you so that we can achieve the best GCSE grades we are capable of. :crossedf:

Spoiler

I'm 15 years old and attend a Grammar School. Attending a Grammar school is pretty difficult as most people are either great sportsmen or academics! Everyone is really competitive and we all enjoy comparing grades and sporting achievements. Even though I'm approaching Year 11, I'm not too sure which category I fit in (although this does not bother me).
My school is pretty internationally and nationally renowned for our Extra-Curricular Focus and the school's desire to have the most rounded pupils possible. As a result our school offers a huge variety of clubs, societies, trips and competitions. Our school has frequent links with professionals in the working world who come and give talks at our school or lectures at their university. I knew that I always wanted to attend university yet these lectures and seminars only made me more determined to go.

My goals may seem ambitious and I know that I will certainly fail along the way but I know that all the most successful people there are or have been have failed repeatedly. The words that have really stuck with me for the last few years (from a businessman) were: those who are most successful are those who have experienced the most failure.

My GCSE Subjects
These are my GCSE subjects:

Maths (AQA H)

Further Maths (idk XD i'll find out soon!)

English (WJEC EDUQAS)

Biology (AQA)

Chemistry (AQA)

Physics (AQA)

Business and Economics (Edexcel)

Design and Technology (AQA)

Geography (AQA)

German (AQA)

Religious Studies (AQA)

I will be sitting my mock examinations during the autumn term so I will definitely post my results here.

Useful Websites and Specification
Biology AQA Spec here!
Chemistry AQA Spec here!
Physics AQA Spec here!
Excellent Source for new GCSE Specification (Maths AQA OCR Edexcel) here!

Goals For GCSE (Academically):

Achieve an A grade in my German GCSE (currently my weakest subject)

Achieve an 8 or above in both my English examinations

Achieve an 8 or above in my Maths and Further Maths examinations

Achieve an A* in everything else (which will be a big and difficult challenge)

GCSE's Attained (so far)

Spoiler

Further Goals
I really want to take the STEM subjects (hopefully biology, chemistry and physics) forward into A-Levels and I believe that achieving great GCSE grades will put me in good stead for my desires! My aim is to attend a RG University (In particular Imperial/Kings/Warwick)! After a bit of thinking I'm interested in Dentistry, Neurology, Psychology and Sociology, Civil Engineering, Chemical/Biological Engineering although this will definitely change over the next few weeks/months. (I will undertake as many work experience placements to narrow down my decisions although I'm very aware of the difficulty of securing any sort of medically relevant work experience!)

Hopefully I will keep this blog/thread updated at least once a week (once every two weeks if I'm really busy). I really hope that this blog motivates us all to achieve and meet our goals academically. I may provide daily updates if I have completed a lot of work just so that my weekly updates aren't too long!

Predicted Grades

Spoiler

Aspiration Grades

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by umar39
Umar39's GCSE Journey
:party::party:
Hello, I'm Umar and come September I will be in Year 11 which means GCSE exams!:afraid: This thread will be a motivator for me and for you so that we can achieve the best GCSE grades we are capable of. :crossedf:

Spoiler

For GCSE I am taking these subjects

Maths (AQA H)

Further Maths (idk XD i'll find out soon!)

English (WJEC EDUQAS)

Biology (AQA)

Chemistry (AQA)

Physics (AQA)

Business and Economics (Edexcel)

Design and Technology (AQA)

Geography (AQA)

German (AQA)

Religious Studies (AQA)

I will be sitting my mock examinations during the autumn term so I will definitely post my results here.

Here are my goals for GCSE

Achieve an A grade in my German GCSE (currently my weakest subject)

Achieve an 8 or above in both my English examinations

Achieve an 8 or above in my Maths and Further Maths examinations

Achieve an A* in everything else (which will be a big and difficult challenge)

I really want to take the STEM subjects forward onto A-Level and I believe that achieving great GCSE grades will put me in good stead for my dreams!

Hopefully I will keep this blog/thread updated at least once a week (once every two weeks if I'm really busy). I really hope that this blog motivates us all to achieve and meet our goals academically.

Spoiler

I'm also looking to get A*s in my gcse, I know it won't be 'easy' but I'm confident that i can achieve it, I just have to revise effectively, especially for English because right now I'm like level 4, even though I'm in top set lol, but I want to achieve a level 8!
Reply 2
Hi, have you seen the new spec and papers on English Wjec eduqas? What are your thoughts? English language looks pretty good and hoping for an A*(8) but English literature looks terrible from my opinion I currently
got level 2 in new grading system . How are you revising for English literature?
Reply 3
Original post by Fnt1klo
Hi, have you seen the new spec and papers on English Wjec eduqas? What are your thoughts? English language looks pretty good and hoping for an A*(8) but English literature looks terrible from my opinion I currently
got level 2 in new grading system . How are you revising for English literature?

Yes, I have seen the knew specification and to be honest the English Literature section looks a lot harder than I initially thought it would be. The focus here on closed-book rather than open-book will just add to the difficulty in my opinion .

In terms of revising for english literature you could:
read the prose/texts/poems that you have learnt over Year 10 and make notes on all characters/themes as well as the key events (maybe on those nifty little revision cards you can buy at stationary stores)

try a few self-made or online practice questions (for example, compare the theme of love/affection in Cozy Apologia and Valentine). Once you have completed your timed session either you can self mark (using the AO specification) or ask your teacher to mark it for you. (This is an effective but long way to improve your writing capabilities)

Learn the context (particularly for poems). The focus on context is huge (about 30% from what I can remember) so it is vital that you take time to contextualize key events in the poem to some social/environmental/political/historical event occurring at the time and how this would affect the language/structure/key themes for the poem.

When you are writing analytical/comparative paragraphs you need to follow a structure to aid with coherency and ease for yourself as well as for the examiner. (Your teacher should have gone through a good method). I use a method known as PEE WET RATS for my paragraphs (funny i know!)

Spoiler

Apart from all of this you just have to understand that English takes much longer hours to prepare for than any other subject and this should not faze you. If you want the 8 or 9's I would suggest some light revision over the Summer. (maybe just reading through the texts once or twice/attempting some questions)

Good luck with achieving great grades :smile:
Reply 4
Hi, @umar39. You have a very nice blog - I also have one here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=61659153#post61659153 which I've started since Sept 2015.

Please note that you're welcome to join the current Year 10 thread here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3508493&page=118&p=66515448#post66515448 and once the new Year 11 thread is ready, I'll work with @MrMackyTv and @Lemur14 in trying to tag everyone to the new thread. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Thanks for the follow by the way (much appreciated). I have looked at your Grow your Grades thread and it is very well made! You are clearly very dedicated to achieving your goals! Be sure to tag me on the new thread once made (Although it would be an excellent source of procrastination:biggrin:)!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Small Update (July 22nd 2016)
It's the summer holidays now! Wooohhooo!! Can't believe the year has gone so fast! Only a few more months until our actual GCSE sittings! :s-smilie:
At the end of the academic year we sit our End of Year Exams. Here are my results:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by umar39
Small Update (July 22nd 2016)
It's the summer holidays now! Wooohhooo!! Can't believe the year has gone so fast! Only a few more months until our actual GCSE sittings! :s-smilie:
At the end of the academic year we sit our End of Year Exams. Here are my results:

Spoiler

Sammee
I'm gonna be in yr 11 in Sept too :biggrin:

Wow u got really good in ur exams!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by tasha_tah
Sammee
I'm gonna be in yr 11 in Sept too :biggrin:

Wow u got really good in ur exams!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm quite nervous for Year 11 as I have a lot of the specification to complete for each examination!

Thank you very much! I make sure that I keep on top of classwork/homework/revision so that I do not feel the stress of rushing to make notes! (I really can't stand messy notes!). This allows me time to work towards my grades! :u:
Original post by umar39
I'm quite nervous for Year 11 as I have a lot of the specification to complete for each examination!

Thank you very much! I make sure that I keep on top of classwork/homework/revision so that I do not feel the stress of rushing to make notes! (I really can't stand messy notes!). This allows me time to work towards my grades! :u:

Same I'm quite nervous too
But we can do this! Haha

U sound like ur very organised:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by umar39
Yes, I have seen the knew specification and to be honest the English Literature section looks a lot harder than I initially thought it would be. The focus here on closed-book rather than open-book will just add to the difficulty in my opinion .

In terms of revising for english literature you could:
read the prose/texts/poems that you have learnt over Year 10 and make notes on all characters/themes as well as the key events (maybe on those nifty little revision cards you can buy at stationary stores)

try a few self-made or online practice questions (for example, compare the theme of love/affection in Cozy Apologia and Valentine). Once you have completed your timed session either you can self mark (using the AO specification) or ask your teacher to mark it for you. (This is an effective but long way to improve your writing capabilities)

Learn the context (particularly for poems). The focus on context is huge (about 30% from what I can remember) so it is vital that you take time to contextualize key events in the poem to some social/environmental/political/historical event occurring at the time and how this would affect the language/structure/key themes for the poem.

When you are writing analytical/comparative paragraphs you need to follow a structure to aid with coherency and ease for yourself as well as for the examiner. (Your teacher should have gone through a good method). I use a method known as PEE WET RATS for my paragraphs (funny i know!)

Spoiler

Apart from all of this you just have to understand that English takes much longer hours to prepare for than any other subject and this should not faze you. If you want the 8 or 9's I would suggest some light revision over the Summer. (maybe just reading through the texts once or twice/attempting some questions)

Good luck with achieving great grades :smile:

Thanks very much! I'll try your method.
Hello Umar! :hello:

Those look like really good grades! As @JTran38 has said, please feel free to join our Year 10 thread (soon to be Year 11!) and we will give you a warm welcome to the club! :biggrin:

This is my second year doing GYG, I did it last year for Year 9 and I will be doing it this year for Year 11! Everyone is really excited and scared at the same time but that's a good thing since we can share our feelings, and just experience it together. Click here for my GYG thread for 2015-2016. There's a link in there linking you back to my 2014-2015 one, which is just as interesting as 2015-2016 :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by MrMackyTv
Hello Umar! :hello:

Those look like really good grades! As @JTran38 has said, please feel free to join our Year 10 thread (soon to be Year 11!) and we will give you a warm welcome to the club! :biggrin:

This is my second year doing GYG, I did it last year for Year 9 and I will be doing it this year for Year 11! Everyone is really excited and scared at the same time but that's a good thing since we can share our feelings, and just experience it together. Click here for my GYG thread for 2015-2016. There's a link in there linking you back to my 2014-2015 one, which is just as interesting as 2015-2016 :smile:

Hi @MrMackyTv!
Thanks for the kind words! I've seen your threads pop up many a time on the trending section so I am very aware of your excellent threads! It's great meeting and talking to all the New GCSE peeps as we step into the unknown! :redface: As long as we work hard we will gain the grades we deserve! Looking at your GYG thread I must admit that you are very dedicated to being the best candidate you can. I wish you all the luck for your GCSEs!!

Spoiler

My aim is to attend a RG University (In particular Imperial/Kings/Warwick)!

Looking at your predicted grades that sounds very doable! :biggrin: What would you take at uni?
Reply 14
Original post by _gcx
Looking at your predicted grades that sounds very doable! :biggrin: What would you take at uni?

Hi _gcx, I'm not very sure at the moment so I will, hopefully, take several work experience placements for civil engineering, dentistry, GP clinic. (I would take a work experience placement anywhere that is STEM related!!:biggrin:)
Original post by umar39
Hi _gcx, I'm not very sure at the moment so I will, hopefully, take several work experience placements for civil engineering, dentistry, GP clinic. (I would take a work experience placement anywhere that is STEM related!!:biggrin:)

Fair enough! :biggrin:
Reply 16
Small but Mighty!

Realising that I have procrastinated most of this week, I feel the need to get some work done! Here are my aims that should be completed before my first official update for this thread (Thursday June 28th, 2016):

Complete B1/B2 Notes

Complete C1/C2 Notes

This may not seem like a lot but I find it difficult diving head on into lots of work so I will progressively increase the workload. :crossedf:

Note:
For every weekly update I will specify what I have done over the last week and what my aims for the next week will be so I can't procrastinate as easily!! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by umar39
Hi @MrMackyTv!
Thanks for the kind words! I've seen your threads pop up many a time on the trending section so I am very aware of your excellent threads! It's great meeting and talking to all the New GCSE peeps as we step into the unknown! :redface: As long as we work hard we will gain the grades we deserve! Looking at your GYG thread I must admit that you are very dedicated to being the best candidate you can. I wish you all the luck for your GCSEs!!

Spoiler

I'm working hard behind the scenes to make a long list of people @MrMackyTv, @Lemur14 and myself should tag, I hope to get that done asap.
Reply 18
Original post by JTran38
I'm working hard behind the scenes to make a long list of people @MrMackyTv, @Lemur14 and myself should tag, I hope to get that done asap.

Hi @JTran38

Check out the Icebreaker thread, I'm sure you will find many 'Going into Year 11' students. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3069373&page=17&p=66575012#post66575012
Reply 19
Original post by umar39
Hi @JTran38

Check out the Icebreaker thread, I'm sure you will find many 'Going into Year 11' students. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3069373&page=17&p=66575012#post66575012

Haha giving me a lot more work to do. :/

Quick Reply

Latest