The Student Room Group

British students may be excluded from Erasmus after Brexit

Scroll to see replies

Ignore, double post.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
Probably not the best idea unfortunately as much as I agree with the sentiment because you could get in a lot of trouble for that.

As stupid as I might sound now, what's the worst that could happen? If I leave the UK and never, ever come back, what can they do, realistically?

Obviously I'll pay it whilst I'm still here, but once I'm gone, I'm gone. And lots of others will be going too. Those that care enough, and depending on how many of the 48% that is it could be alot, will just get up and go too and never look back. The only people left in a post-Brexit UK will be the ultra-nationalists and the old people.

Why should I give back the money that I have borrowed to help me live (which is nowhere near enough) and pay for my fees (which are already too expensive), especially when it's been funded by nationalists and the majority of an older generation who are "scared of brown people"?

I don't care if I sound salty or overdramatic, because now I'm seeing direct consequences of my future being ruined. So much for voting in the interests of our generation.
Original post by pizzanomics
As stupid as I might sound now, what's the worst that could happen? If I leave the UK and never, ever come back, what can they do, realistically?

Obviously I'll pay it whilst I'm still here, but once I'm gone, I'm gone. And lots of others will be going too. Those that care enough, and depending on how many of the 48% that is it could be alot, will just get up and go too and never look back. The only people left in a post-Brexit UK will be the ultra-nationalists and the old people.

Why should I give back the money that I have borrowed to help me live (which is nowhere near enough) and pay for my fees (which are already too expensive), especially when it's been funded by nationalists and the majority of an older generation who are "scared of brown people"?

I don't care if I sound salty or overdramatic, because now I'm seeing direct consequences of my future being ruined. So much for voting in the interests of our generation.

I'm not sure if they could extradite you but presumably you'd still have family and friends in the UK? I think locking yourself out of a country forever is not a very good idea, you never know what will happen in the future.
If they actually exclude the UK from Erasmus over Freedom of Movement, then I have to say that's incredibly petty. They would essentially be rejecting money from the UK and cutting their own students off from UK universities merely to punish the UK.

Given that means fewer English-speaking universities available under Erasmus, that definitely hurts the EU as well because English is an important world language that isn't natively spoken by many European nations. Keeping the UK out of the single market without free movement would be one thing, but it seems like they're not willing to let the UK keep any benefits of EU membership without free movement. If this is the tactic they take, there's almost no point in negotiating with them at all. Because this sounds like their attitude is very much all or nothing.
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE="Plagioclase;66572006"] Source (The Guardian)
How upsetting and desperately unfair to future students to be denied this wonderful opportunity.

I wouldnt overegg it. The UK will probably make several bilateral treaties to keep it in place if it thinks its important enough. It's what the Swiss did.

U would be much more in favour of them lowering Uni fees overall.
Original post by Plagioclase
I'm not sure if they could extradite you but presumably you'd still have family and friends in the UK? I think locking yourself out of a country forever is not a very good idea, you never know what will happen in the future.

Re: Extradition - Surely not if we leave the EU because that would presumably meaning the UK wouldn't be allowed to make use of the European Arrest Warrant?

And re: family and friends - My immidiate family all want to up sticks and go too. Not to the same place as me unforunately but they still want to leave the UK and move to an EU member state. Unfortunately I'll have to leave friends behind but I'll still be able to talk to them through Facebook or Twitter or whatever is cool in a few years time. I'd like to think I'll just make new friends since I'd be moving to a country were I can speak the language.

Locking myself out of the UK forever isn't a good idea, you're right. I know it's a stupid idea. But coming from a poor-ish family in a forgotten part of the country, the UK hasn't really done that much for me anyway - and the aftermath of the referendum, the politics, the increase in hate crime, and the belief by those who are deeply racist and xenophobic that their views are now validated by a (miniscule) minority has essentially solidified my opinion that this country will go to ****. And I dont want to be a part of it. Those that voted to leave the EU can deal with it, I'm not.
Original post by jeremy1988
If they actually exclude the UK from Erasmus over Freedom of Movement, then I have to say that's incredibly petty. They would essentially be rejecting money from the UK and cutting their own students off from UK universities merely to punish the UK.

How on earth can you argue that it's petty? It's an EU project for EU member states and the rules were very clearly laid out when we joined. I don't understand why you think we suddenly deserve special status and should be allowed to pick and choose which rules we follow when everybody else has to follow them all. The EU is a collaborative, international project which has a set of rules for member states that you have to agree to in order to be a part of it. If you don't like those rules then you don't need to be a part of the project but stop whining when you no longer get the benefits. It was absolutely obvious that this was going to happen if the UK leaves the EU, yet the leave campaign dismissed all these warnings as fearmongering, and when the warnings actually become true it's suddenly someone else's fault? Heaven's sake, the arrogance of some people...

Original post by 999tigger
I wouldnt overegg it. The UK will probably make several bilateral treaties to keep it in place if it thinks its important enough. It's what the Swiss did.
Yeah and if you read the article, you'd know that Switzerland pays a huge amount to keep it in place which means it's only accessible for wealthy students.
(edited 7 years ago)
I can't actually describe how upset this makes me.........
Original post by pizzanomics
Re: Extradition - Surely not if we leave the EU because that would presumably meaning the UK wouldn't be allowed to make use of the European Arrest Warrant?

And re: family and friends - My immidiate family all want to up sticks and go too. Not to the same place as me unforunately but they still want to leave the UK and move to an EU member state. Unfortunately I'll have to leave friends behind but I'll still be able to talk to them through Facebook or Twitter or whatever is cool in a few years time. I'd like to think I'll just make new friends since I'd be moving to a country were I can speak the language.

Locking myself out of the UK forever isn't a good idea, you're right. I know it's a stupid idea. But coming from a poor-ish family in a forgotten part of the country, the UK hasn't really done that much for me anyway - and the aftermath of the referendum, the politics, the increase in hate crime, and the belief by those who are deeply racist and xenophobic that their views are now validated by a (miniscule) minority has essentially solidified my opinion that this country will go to ****. And I dont want to be a part of it. Those that voted to leave the EU can deal with it, I'm not.

It's completely possible to extradite someone from outside of the EU, it's just more difficult. As I say, I don't think it's very likely that they'd bother for student loans but the main problem is that you're locking yourself out of a country forever. I completely understand where you're coming from, I'm as fed up as you are, but you never know what's going to happen in the future and if for whatever reason you ever had to go back to the UK for something important, you wouldn't be able to. I don't think that's a risk worth taking.
Reply 29
I thought some countries took part in Erasmus who are not members of the EU? Like Switzerland. I may be wrong though.

I completed an Erasmus year and a large part of me voting Remain was the increased cultural exchange which occurs thanks to our membership of the EU - I did think Erasmus might be under threat if we left [despite what I've said above, it was still a concern]. Also, don't forget about all the Erasmus students who come to the UK - they will also lose out, and we will lose out on having them in our universities or working here.
Original post by abc:)
I thought some countries took part in Erasmus who are not members of the EU? Like Switzerland. I may be wrong though.

According to the Guardian article, Switzerland has to pay extra to be part of the scheme which means it isn't accessible to poorer students.
Reply 31
Here's a petition if any of you would like to sign:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/136595
Oh how terrible, upper-middle class privately-educated 19 year old girls will be crying themselves to sleep!
Original post by richpanda
Oh how terrible, upper-middle class privately-educated 19 year old girls will be crying themselves to sleep!

Oh my mistake, I forgot it's only upper-middle class privately educated girls who go on Erasmus.

Seriously, why do you feel a need to comment on absolutely everything even if it's blatantly obvious that you know nothing about it?
As a former language student and Erasmus participant it's grimly amusing how students here seem to think this EU-funded jolly of all things is a significant demerit of our leaving the EU. Much greater destructions are afoot.
Original post by scrotgrot
As a former language student and Erasmus participant it's grimly amusing how students here seem to think this EU-funded jolly of all things is a significant demerit of our leaving the EU. Much greater destructions are afoot.

I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to be upset about this just because it's not the most catastrophic impact of Brexit?
Original post by seaholme
I suspect those numbers more or less just reflect the backgrounds of people who choose to take foreign languages at University. Erasmus was equal participation and I know plenty of people who did a year abroad who came from no money at all at home. Now they most certainly will not be able to self-fund to go.

That may well be true; but it didn't play very well on the streets of Hartlepool and Hull
(edited 7 years ago)
Quite why the average taxpayer's money should go towards funding a privileged university student's year-long holiday in Europe I never really grasped in the first place. If you want that you can pay for it yourself.
Original post by scrotgrot

I appreciate that it's not the biggest fallout from everything surrounding the outcome of the referendum, but this could seriously damage my future plans, so I think I've got every right to be furious not only with this decision (if it goes through - luckily it's still only a maybe at the moment, but a maybe is still a million times more worrying than us being 100% a part of it still) but the greater electorate too.

I've worked my ****ing arse off to get out of a *****y dead end town with no opportunities where nobody has any ambition to do anything or even leave the county and be the first person in my whole family ever to pass their GCSEs, let alone A levels and go to university, and a good one at that, and this is how I'm repaid by our society? Every right I've worked towards making use of given to us by the EU is, or will be, slowly taken away from us, and this one could prove one of the most fatal for my own personal circumstances.

I'll be doing a Modern Languages degree. 3 languages, got to spend 6 months in a country that speaks my two major languages on my year abroad. For me, that's GermanyAustria/Switzerland and the Netherlands/Belgium. I can choose to work or study, so I want to study in the Netherlands since I'm doing Dutch from scratch so it should be a lot easier to study - there's no way I could afford to go to the Netherlands without the funding from the Erasmus scheme. I have no idea if it will effect the places in universities as well since afaik partner universities exchange a certain amount of students between each other. I want to work in Germany because it'll be my post-A level language. That means getting an internship/placement. That means competing with students from across the rest of the EU. If we are excluded from Erasmus and lose our freedom of movement, that's MORE funding I'll lose meaning I wouldn't be able to afford it, plus in the off-chance we'd have to deal with visas and residence permits and whatever if we lose the freedom of movement, what's to stop employers from employing people from EU member states because it's easier for them to just turn up and work, whereas they might have to faff around with 'sponsoring' UK citizens or whatever.

So to say I'm devastated would be an understatement. I would think someone who has done exactly what I would like to do would be a bit more sympathetic, but I guess it's easier to just sit there and be smug when you've already been there and done it and know that it wont effect you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by richpanda

Or the working class people who actually bother to try to achieve things instead of sitting around, perpetually *****ing and finding others to blame for their **** lives. I want to go to uni and get out of this horrible area and do something worthwhile, and it's disgusting that I'm having opportunities to do that taken away by miserable, self-serving, jaded cretins that think nobody should get these opportunities just because they never bothered taking them.

Maybe the reason the poor in this country stay poor is because they have this bizarre condescension, considering education to be something for the posh toffs and looking down on it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending