The Student Room Group

Physics and Maths together?

For my future, I'd like to get an A level, degree and even a PhD in Physics, so I was wondering, should I take A Level Maths as well? I really cannot be bothered to, but will it benefit me and make my life easier to take Maths as well?

Thanks,
S

Scroll to see replies

Yes. If you want to do physics at university you're gonna need maths. If you do A-level physics at my school, you HAVE to also take A-level maths as well - It's mandatory.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 34908seikj
Yes. If you want to do physics at university you're gonna need maths. If you do A-level physics and my school you HAVE to take A-level maths as well - It's mandatory.

I agree. Every university physics course I've seen requires both physics and maths at A-level.
Original post by Psychedeliyaa
For my future, I'd like to get an A level, degree and even a PhD in Physics, so I was wondering, should I take A Level Maths as well? I really cannot be bothered to, but will it benefit me and make my life easier to take Maths as well?

Thanks,
S

One of the problems with the way Physics is taught in schools is that it misleads students into thinking that Maths isn't essential for it, which it absolutely is. At GCSE and A Level you can get a pretty good mark in Physics without being that great at Maths but this will not be possible once you leave school. At university, most of the Physics you will do is pretty much applied Maths. Certainly if you do a PhD in physics, most if not all of what you will be doing is applied Maths. So if you're serious about doing Physics then you should take A Level Maths without a second thought and strongly consider Further Maths.
I don't think many physics programmes will take you if you don't do A-level maths - as the saying goes, mathematics is the language of the Universe. I don't understand why you seem to express an interest for a Physics degree, without the requisite mathematical background. It's a quick way of dropping out if you resent algebra/calculus
Everyone above is right... it's great that you have goals but this is very well publicised information you can get off UCAS website, university physics pages, the russell group website etc.

better for you if you if you learn to start doing your own research into how you can achieve your goals :smile:
Reply 6
You have to do maths and further maths would be beneficial.
The college I'm going to has Maths as a mandatory subject if you're taking Physics.
Reply 8
There isn't difficult maths in physics A level, but for a career in physics you would have to be at a good standard in maths.
Do both maths and further maths.
You need A Level Maths if you're going to do a Physics course. Also universities would usually encourage you to do Further Maths (or maybe an additional science subject such as chemistry) but A Level Maths is a must. Plus Mechanics (as part of the Maths subject) would significantly help you a lot.

If you really want to study Physics at uni (and continue to get a PhD) then I'd advise you to do both Maths and Further Maths as they'll help you academically to get into your course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
When you pick A levels, many pick new subjects which they have never learnt before e.g. media, economics etc.
If there is any advice I can give to people picking A levels Pick Maths and Sciences you will realise how much more interesting it is than other subjects and will get you into practically any university courses.
I picked economic and its one of the worst decisions i have ever made, don't fall into that trap.
Reply 12
A-level Maths is a requirement for Physics at most universities. Further Maths is highly recommended (most other applicants to top unis will have the subject).
Reply 13
Posted from TSR Mobile

I also want to do physics at uni and get a PhD etc. I'm currently in year 11, going onto year 12. You absolutely MUST choose A level maths to-do physics at uni, not only because you would be highly disadvantaged in he course but also because no university would offer you a place for physics without maths. The high majority of applicants will also have further maths, which I strongly recommend you to take if you want to do physics at a good uni particularly Russell group unis. If this is too much, chemistry for example is an alternative, though it does not strengthen your application as much as further maths does. The main thing is unis will not accept you without maths at A level. I'll be doing maths further maths physics and economics, and would like to do physics at uni and go on to be a physicist :smile:
Original post by Psychedeliyaa

Thanks,
S

Not to be mean but if you really cannot be bothered to do maths A level you should seriously consider whether you want to do a physics degree. Physics at university is very very different to what you have currently done, in that there is a significant amount of pretty advanced applied maths involved in the vast majority of the topics, so if you can't be bothered to even do A level maths you should seriously consider whether you want to do a degree that heavily involves maths.
Original post by Glib
When you pick A levels, many pick new subjects which they have never learnt before e.g. media, economics etc.
If there is any advice I can give to people picking A levels Pick Maths and Sciences you will realise how much more interesting it is than other subjects and will get you into practically any university courses.
I picked economic and its one of the worst decisions i have ever made, don't fall into that trap.

whats wrong with economics? i was thinking about taking but whats wrong with it
Yes!
They compliment each other well
Maths will benefit you if you do physics :smile:
I mean for a subject that is inherently steeped in applied mathematics, then you should seriously consider whether or not you would actually enjoy Physics at a higher level if you cannot be bothered to take maths. A-Level maths (and further maths) is the absolute baseline level of maths that you would need to be comfortable with for Physics at university.
I would add that it's all good to plan doing a PhD now before you've picked your A-levels, but you may find that you'll change your mind and that's okay. It's hard work and it might not appeal to you once you've studied an undergraduate degree.
Reply 19
Original post by ilovethetsr
whats wrong with economics? i was thinking about taking but whats wrong with it

From a personal point of view, the teaching of it at my school has been awful and has put me in a stressful situation. This probably won't be a problem for anyone else.
However, the content is boring and not interesting as opposed to sciences.
I don't want to put you off this subject, as a lot of my dislike towards it is from a personal perspective.

Quick Reply

Latest