The Student Room Group

Geography GCSE Hard or Easy?

Hey guys !

How was IGCSE geography for you guys?
Was is it HARD / MEDIUM / EASY? :biggrin:

I was thinking if i should take it or not but i'm worried if it has got MATH in it (for the Alternative to coursework of anything) If i'm taking it, i'm planing to teach myself the subject. :colondollar:
i did IGCSE Edexcel geography. It was amazing! i enjoyed it so much! even taking it a a-level. I didnt get any coursework tho :erm:
Reply 2
Original post by PrincessBO$$
i did IGCSE Edexcel geography. It was amazing! i enjoyed it so much! even taking it a a-level. I didnt get any coursework tho :erm:

OH wow ! You're so lucky ! Cause for my syllabus (CIE) there is Alternative to coursework and i'm a bit confused about it :s-smilie: also i'm worried if geo got math in it
Reply 3
Original post by Hanna423
Hey guys !

How was IGCSE geography for you guys?
Was is it HARD / MEDIUM / EASY? :biggrin:

I was thinking if i should take it or not but i'm worried if it has got MATH in it (for the Alternative to coursework of anything) If i'm taking it, i'm planing to teach myself the subject. :colondollar:

Geography is a quite simple subject to grasp but it depends on which exam board you're using. Most of geography is just fact recall, so if you can do that (just revise very much and make sure you're clear on all the subjects) then you can probably do geography. Some exam boards will want you to know geographical processes in more depth than others, but it is really interesting and can be fairly easy to learn.

One of the main things you will need to learn about is sustainability - this is the most important thing in geography, with whatever topic you are dealing with.

It's definitely an enjoyable subject (I've taken it at A Level, too) and I think it is important to know the things that geography entails; it is valuable for anyone and everyone. Awareness of the world is important, and that's exactly what geography teaches you.

Good luck!
Original post by Hanna423
OH wow ! You're so lucky ! Cause for my syllabus (CIE) there is Alternative to coursework and i'm a bit confused about it :s-smilie: also i'm worried if geo got math in it

Never had maths tho :biggrin:. The only maths i got was in the fieldwork section or data analysis. And all i had to do was interpret the results and come to conclusions, there was no right or wrong answer if you justified your answer it should be fine. I dont know if its the same for cia
Reply 5
Original post by Amefish
Geography is a quite simple subject to grasp but it depends on which exam board you're using. Most of geography is just fact recall, so if you can do that (just revise very much and make sure you're clear on all the subjects) then you can probably do geography. Some exam boards will want you to know geographical processes in more depth than others, but it is really interesting and can be fairly easy to learn.

One of the main things you will need to learn about is sustainability - this is the most important thing in geography, with whatever topic you are dealing with.

It's definitely an enjoyable subject (I've taken it at A Level, too) and I think it is important to know the things that geography entails; it is valuable for anyone and everyone. Awareness of the world is important, and that's exactly what geography teaches you.

Good luck!

[EDIT]
Sorry, I forgot to add - in my coursework we had to do a little bit of maths but it is very simple and you will be talked through it.
Reply 6
Original post by Amefish

Good luck!

I've just finished year 11 and didn't actually do Geography for GCSE, but a looot of my friends did. From the sounds of it Geography was definitely a hit and miss in my school eventhough there were 4 completely full classes which did Geography. From what my friends have said the course is pretty difficult sheerly through the amount of content which is required to learn and some of my friends did say that a lot of the human geography was pretty boring which hate to say it is quite a lot of the actual geography course rather than landscape etc. Im not sure what board you do but in my school we do WJEC and for Geography my friends ended up having four different exams, one thing to really take into mind when choosing GCSES is the number of exams you will end up with at the end of year 11 as trust me you're better off having less than more - even if you are very good at geography as often than not exams are placed in a very awkward way leaving very little speace to revise inbetween :smile:
I do really recommend talking to the head of departmant about the subject and the way its goes in your school as you may find that it dos really suit your needs or goes completely agains your school work ethic!

Quick Reply

Latest