The Student Room Group

What was your most unexpected A level result?

Scroll to see replies

Getting a C in AS history- was expecting at least a B. Ended up being 1 UMS off a B as well :frown: Also getting 98 in my FP1 exam- was expecting around 90 :colondollar:
Original post by HFancy1997
Hahahaha I laughed, nice one punch man reference;D

Posted from TSR Mobile

YES someone else but me watches it ^-^
Getting full marks in AS English Literature, I still cannot fathom how it happened considering I got a C in a GCSE module 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Getting a B in AS Literature, including a C in the exam. I'd gotten As all year and 100% UMS in the coursework; the only time I'd previously got a C was in our baseline at the start of the year, and that had used a completely different style to the type in our exam.

I'd found the exam itself quite difficult and I regretted my choice of question when it was too late to change, but it was still a complete shock to get a C in that exam, particularly as someone else I knew got 100% UMS, having not reached that throughout the year. Conversely, I had thought my AS History exams had gone terribly as they were very rushed, but I got 100% UMS in one of them!

So the weird pattern seems to be that if I think an exam went really badly, it'll have gone well... so A2 results day should be ok - possibly. But I'm really freaking out about it.
Original post by JoshC98
Getting a C in AS history- was expecting at least a B. Ended up being 1 UMS off a B as well :frown: Also getting 98 in my FP1 exam- was expecting around 90 :colondollar:

Damn that FP1 mark is good ; I only got 86 lol
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Getting a B in AS Literature, including a C in the exam. I'd gotten As all year and 100% UMS in the coursework; the only time I'd previously got a C was in our baseline at the start of the year, and that had used a completely different style to the type in our exam.

I'd found the exam itself quite difficult and I regretted my choice of question when it was too late to change, but it was still a complete shock to get a C in that exam, particularly as someone else I knew got 100% UMS, having not reached that throughout the year. Conversely, I had thought my AS History exams had gone terribly as they were very rushed, but I got 100% UMS in one of them!

So the weird pattern seems to be that if I think an exam went really badly, it'll have gone well... so A2 results day should be ok - possibly. But I'm really freaking out about it.

Yh last year I got a really high mark in the coursework for AS English Lang but then flopped the exam - got 52/109- despite getting A's in the mocks and so I got a B overall . I retook that AS exam but my god it was so hard lol so I'm expecting another C again and a B overall ; bye bye uni :smile:
Was expecting an A* in Maths but then missed it by two marks

Spoiler

D in AS biology, came as a shock after id put in a ridiculous amount of revision i thought id a least scrape a B
Probably my AQA physics unit 2 paper last year getting re-marked.

Went from a mid B to 90% UMS (7 raw mark increase).
Last year I got an A in AS Sociology which took me completely by surprise because the highest I'd got in mocks all year was a C in Education and a D in Families... came out with an A in Education and a B in Families. I'm still shocked now when I think about it :biggrin: I thought the exams went awfully and I'd got a C at most. Spent nearly the whole summer worrying about it.

A not-so-nice surprise was that I was expecting an A in Film Studies and got a C... only 5UMS off a B damn it :colondollar:.

I also got an A in the OCR Psychology Core Studies exam and a C in the research methods exam which was completely the opposite of what I was expecting. 2UMS off an A overall... 2!!

So yeah, every part of last year's Results Day surprised me basically.
My AS results were very strong although my predictions were BCCU, I ended up with AAAC and I was really happy with my A in History cos I was a flop in GCSE history!
My AS biology ISA - I was told it was an A/B and opened my results and got 9 UMS in the ISA lmao. This pulled my biology grade down rip

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground
My AS biology ISA - I was told it was an A/B and opened my results and got 9 UMS in the ISA lmao. This pulled my biology grade down rip

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biology just seems to screw everyone over lol ; never hear about anyone actually doing well in it !
Original post by Sacred Ground

Posted from TSR Mobile

Noo way omg how does that even work? Don't the teachers work with the official markschemes lmao?
Original post by rxns_00
Noo way omg how does that even work? Don't the teachers work with the official markschemes lmao?

I thought they did too that's why I was like what's happened here? Lmao
I got a B in A Level Geography! I got a low C at AS, and felt that my unit 1 retake had gone terribly (however I somehow got an A in that). I was also completely unprepared for the A2 Geography exams (due to a not-so-good teacher, few revision resources, ambiguous past paper questions and mark schemes etc), and I sincerely thought I would get a D overall, at best a C!
I'll come back here in results day :lol:

Spoiler

I was over the moon when I left my local comprehensive (Poynton High) in 2008 with 1A*, 8A's, and 2B's at GCSE level.*I stayed at the same school for sixth form, but in 2010 was absolutely gutted when I only achieved A-Level results of D E U and U (iicr correctly) in Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Maths respectively. In my A2 year at Poynton Sixth Form I was advised (by both the head and deputy-head of the sixth form) to forget about applying to university, because they just wouldn't take my application seriously based on my very poor grades. I went against their advice and applied to university anyway but didn't manage to get onto the degree programme I applied for (BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science) due to getting only DEUU at A2. One university however, Manchester Met, offered me a lifeline in the form of a foundation year on the strength of my GCSE grades. I accepted their offer and this turned out to be a truly life changing decision, for the better. At the start of my foundation year, I talked through my career goals with a great academic support tutor at uni, and he helped me arrange to resit my A-Levels in one year at a different FE college (Stockport College) as an external candidate (undertaking my foundation year concurrently). He also instigated 1-on-1 peer-mentoring with 3rd year undergrad students to help me improve my exam technique. This helped me a lot. I finished the year with 88% in my uni foundation year, and grades A* A* A* A* in my A-Level resits (in the same subjects as last time; Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths, with some quite tasty UMS scores too :P). I graduated from MMU in 2014 with a 2:1 in my degree, unfortunately missing a 1st by less than *1%! Still, I'm happy with my 2:1. I worked in retail for a bit before recently securing my first graduate job in a laboratory, which I'm loving so far, and am currently in the process of applying for an employer-sponsored PhD opportunity from 2018.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fefssdf
Yh last year I got a really high mark in the coursework for AS English Lang but then flopped the exam - got 52/109- despite getting A's in the mocks and so I got a B overall . I retook that AS exam but my god it was so hard lol so I'm expecting another C again and a B overall ; bye bye uni :smile:

Same I feel like the A2 English language exam is going to pull down my grade! I did terribly, barely mentioned many language features:frown: I was predicted an A* but I seriously think I'm gonna get a B and not get into uni:bawling::bawling:
Reply 59
History - got an A in the end.

This was the same subject I got an E in on the January exam and U's on homework assignments. I originally planned to drop the subject a few months in but thankfully my teacher said no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest