The Student Room Group

Tigers kill two people at Beijing wildlife park. Kill the Tiger?

This poll is closed

Should the Tiger who killed two women be put down?

1. Kill the animal because it has now killed a guman being, making it an even more dangerous risk? 13%
Tiger should be allowed to live as ut only killed on instinct and its the fault of the women for leaving the car?87%
Total votes: 31
Relatively straightforward story.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-36877836

DM has it on a video loop showing the woman being dragged away- thought they might delete if linked it.
Ranger vehicle there within seconds.
One woman killed and one seriously injured at a drive through wildlife park by a tiger.
Apparently there was an argument in the car and one woman decided to get out of the car, even though there are wild animals outside.
That woman was dragged away mauled by a tiger and mauled, another woman who left the car and tried to help was killed.
Visitors are warned not to leave their cars.

The questions is should the authorities kill the tiger or not?

ps I dont know if the tiger has been killed or not.

Video shows what happened.- amended as I carelessly misreported.......
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yeah why not? It would make good business sense so people aren't dissuaded from going and it shows them to be doing something and might affect whether any actions are brought against the park. It's the sensible thing to do
which part of "stay in your car" did they not understand ?
Reply 3
If the tiger is one of the main attractions of the wildlife park then it would make sense for the business to keep it in operation.
If the danger posed by the tiger is likely to reduce visits by tourists, then it's best to kill it.
Reply 4
It's her own fault she got killed. There are rules and regulations for a reason. I don't know why a tiger should have to be put down because of someone else' stupidity. People forget these are WILD animals. This tiger is not your docile lovable kitten at home.
Original post by 999tigger
Relatively straightforward story.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-36877836

Two men have been killed at a drive through wildlife park by a tiger.
Apparently there was an argument in the car and one woman decided to get out of the car, even though there are wild animals outside.
That woman was mailed and killed by a tiger as well as another woman who tried to help.
Visitors are warned not to leave their cars.

The questions is should the authorities kill the tiger or not?

ps I dont know if the tiger has been killed or not.

One woman was killed and another injured, no men were killed. Or have you posted the wrong report?
It's her own fault. The tiger did nothing wrong except act on instinct. Of course it shouldn't be killed.
If the zoo keepers had to make a quick decision to save the woman, I would favour the human life over the tiger, even if she is a complete idiot for leaving the car. I don't see the point in putting it on trial and having a beautiful and rare animal killed now, given that any tiger could have attacked if some stupid woman walks into its territory, rather than this one being particularly vicious or out of control.
(edited 7 years ago)
A tiger has no moral sense of right and wrong like a human, their instincts are to kill. You can't kill an animal for being an animal. It's the woman's fault for leaving her car.
Original post by tengentoppa
Yeah why not? It would make good business sense so people aren't dissuaded from going and it shows them to be doing something and might affect whether any actions are brought against the park. It's the sensible thing to do

:confused:

Every tiger will kill a human if it's antagonised, this isn't life of Pi m8.
Lmfao, why'd she step out the car? That's next level stupidity.

I hope they don't harm the tiger.
Nope!
Not the Tigers fault
It was the woman who was stupid enough to get out the car
#ResurrectHarambe
#AskForFrigivness
#SoorayHarray
Reply 13
Original post by dozyrosie
One woman was killed and another injured, no men were killed. Or have you posted the wrong report?

Nope you are correct. I misread. I thought the first woman who was dragged away was killed, when in fact she was only seriously injured. It was the mum? who got out after who was killed.

Repped you and corrected.
Reply 14
3-4000 tigers remaining
7500000000 humans remaining

Every tiger life counts
Of course not. The woman died as a result of her own stupidity, having failed to pay attention to warnings not to get out of the car. All the tiger did was act on instinct.
Original post by Atlas Thugged
:confused:

Every tiger will kill a human if it's antagonised, this isn't life of Pi m8.

Yeah but people don't think like that. An empty gesture like this might reassure some people
Reply 17
Human stupidity yet again puts an animal at risk.
It's pure ignorance on part of man.
The nature of a wild animal is that it does attack humans, and they cannot be tamed, to then create a park and put them there with humans is absurd
Don't kill the animal because you failed to understand the simple way of nature

If a wild animal voluntarily made its way out of the jungle into a human habitat only then would it be appropriate to kill it, compassion starts with yourself

But this is not the case here, here what happened is the opposite, we force a wild animal into an area with humans, and when things like this happen I.e. the woman stepped out of the car not remembering the rules, we feel the need to kill the animal even though the problem started with us

Release the animal far away from humans and end businesses like this then there's no need to kill unless the money is more important... Which it seems to be
What's the purpose of killing the tiger?*

Is it supposed to be a deterrent, so that other tigers know who's boss and don't do the same in future? Do we need to exact retribution upon the tiger, so that it "deservedly suffers" for the crime that it committed? Is killing the tiger going to repair any of the damage that it caused?*These are the three of the main reasons why we punish those who do something wrong; deterrence, retribution and reparation. *And I think it's quite obvious that none of them apply in these circumstances, to a tiger who has killed simply by acting on instinct.
The only other valid reason I can think of for carrying out a punishment is prevention. That is, if*it was a case of killing the tiger whilst it was attacking the woman in order to save the woman's life, that's fair enough. Or if the only way to stop this particular tiger from going on a rampage and killing everyone else too is to kill it first, that's also fair enough. Although again, this is not applicable in this case.

So I don't really see the need to kill the tiger. Even if we kill it, there are thousands of other tigers just like it, who would have done exactly the same thing in that situation, that we're doing nothing about. The best thing to do is just release it into the wild amongst other tigers, far from humans, where it can kill as many gazelles as it likes. Or keep it contained, away from the public so that it can't hurt anyone else.*

Quick Reply

Latest