The Student Room Group

Oxford Biology field course question

I am currently holding an offer for undergraduate biology and I was wondering if there were any current students who could tell me if this field course (in the first year in Wales) involved heights. I know this may sound like an incredibly stupid and irrational question to ask but I have a crippling fear of heights that, whilst I am attempting to overcome unsuccessfully, including attempting zip lining, is still a problem. I cannot stop thinking about it (even though I may not even get into Oxford) to an extent that it is actually causing me to wish that I won't get in. This is really depressing to me as I love everything about the Oxford course and I really don't want this to spoil this potentially amazing opportunity. This sounds ridiculous but I would really appreciate any insight :smile:
Original post by Parrotperson
I am currently holding an offer for undergraduate biology and I was wondering if there were any current students who could tell me if this field course (in the first year in Wales) involved heights. I know this may sound like an incredibly stupid and irrational question to ask but I have a crippling fear of heights that, whilst I am attempting to overcome unsuccessfully, including attempting zip lining, is still a problem. I cannot stop thinking about it (even though I may not even get into Oxford) to an extent that it is actually causing me to wish that I won't get in. This is really depressing to me as I love everything about the Oxford course and I really don't want this to spoil this potentially amazing opportunity. This sounds ridiculous but I would really appreciate any insight :smile:

One of our former Biologists wrote up her experiences here:
https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/about-brasenose/news/1265-melolontha-melolontha-mosquitoes-and-mist-nets

We didn't get a sense from this that heights are an issue beyond walking up a sand dune. If an event did involve something a student was not comfortable with, we think that an adjustment could be put in place.

Brasenose Admissions
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Parrotperson

In my experience departments are usually very good in terms of making access arrangements for people so I definitely would not let this put you off. What I'd suggest you perhaps do is send a quick email to whoever is leading the field course (when you get the information) and let them know of the issue so they can give you reassurance.
The field course is just a small bit of one year's work. No zip lining is involved! Most tutors these days seem to be quite approachable about this kind of thing, and remember that every college has pastoral care and welfare officers whose job it is to help any student who has anxiety issues of any kind - it's part of their every day work. Definitely try not to worry!

Quick Reply