The Student Room Group

Fight against big business bullies attacking the underdogs - SIGN THIS PETITION

https://www.change.org/p/nas-bring-back-dueling-network

DuelingNetwork.com launched in May 2011, was a non-profit website run entirely by volunteers that had millions of registered users. The site manually allowed anyone regardless of age or experience to play the game of Yugioh. In the 5 years that it existed, it has had no legal issues. However, on March 25th, 2016 a Cease and Desist Order was filed against DuelingNetwork.com by the anime and production company known as NAS (Nihon Ad Systems). Due to this, Dueling Network took down all the images off its site and allowed its players to host their own images instead. As a result, the number of active players on Dueling Network dropped drastically. It seems that this was not satisfactory and on July 5, 2016, this message appeared on Dueling Network: “For legal reasons, Dueling Network will be taken offline until further notice. I apologize for the inconvenience. Note that the third-party requesting this take down was not Konami, but another authorized party.“
Dueling Network allows younger and poorer players to enjoy the game and promotes it for free. Konami has had no issue with Dueling Network’s existence in the 5 years it has been up and nothing has happened that should change that. Dueling Network has brought thousands of people back to the game of Yugioh and doesn’t gain a cent from its operations in return. It's existence doesn’t harm NAS’s operations in any form and no longer even uses their artwork. Sign this petition to show that the Yugioh Community is not okay with this.
#FreeDuelingNetwork #BringDuelingNetworkBack
So, presuming the petition is going to be sent to Konami, and then find its way to the desk of someone with power, and then be read by that person and not thrown away, you believe they are going to completely change their outlook and want the site to come back because 2,500 people want it to, probably aware already that a couple thousand used it?
Original post by ozzyoscy
So, presuming the petition is going to be sent to Konami, and then find its way to the desk of someone with power, and then be read by that person and not thrown away, you believe they are going to completely change their outlook and want the site to come back because 2,500 people want it to, probably aware already that a couple thousand used it?

It's not being sent to Konami and they have nothing to do with the decision....
Original post by similarBlank
It's not being sent to Konami and they have nothing to do with the decision....

Irrelevant, just change the names in my question.
Irrelevant, just change the names in my question.

In that case, I don't know. I didn't even create the petition.
In that case, I don't know. I didn't even create the petition.

So you shared a petition, made a dramatic title, yet don't know why you did any of it or how it works?
So you shared a petition, made a dramatic title, yet don't know why you did any of it or how it works?

I shared the petition because I was a member of it. It's been taken down, I want it back up, there's a petition to get it back up so I sign it and share it.

You want something done, you make a petition and it either gets ignores or gets done. How do you not get how a petition works?
You want something done, you make a petition and it either gets ignores or gets done.

Despicable attitude. Your thread title talked about 'fighting', 'bullies', 'attacking' but all you're prepared to do is sign a meaningless illogical petition. I go back to my original question...
Despicable attitude. Your thread title talked about 'fighting', 'bullies', 'attacking' but all you're prepared to do is sign a meaningless illogical petition. I go back to my original question...

You call me despicable for sharing a petition?

The Dueling Network was an independent site that harmed no one. The NAS (Nihon Ad Systems) are a big business. They ordered the Dueling Network, despite it not harming them in anyway, to be shut down. I.e. they're attacking the small website, i.e. they are being bullies to the underdogs. I'm saying I want people to sign this petition to fight against them. What have I said that's inaccurate?

(edited 7 years ago)
You call me despicable for sharing a petition?

The Dueling Network was an independent site that harmed no one. The NAS (Nihon Ad Systems) are a big business. They ordered the Dueling Network, despite it not harming them in anyway, to be shut down. I.e. they're attacking the small website, i.e. they are being bullies to the underdogs. I'm saying I want people to sign this petition to fight against them. What have I said that's inaccurate?

So, presuming the petition is going to be sent to NAS, and then find its way to the desk of someone with power, and then be read by that person and not thrown away, you believe they are going to completely change their outlook and want the site to come back because 2,500 people want it to, probably aware already that a couple thousand used it?

You signing a petition isn't fighting them; it's utterly meaningless and lazy, but it gives you the feeling you're 'fighting' them. Like changing your Facebook picture to a French flag or sharing an article.

And as was said, due to legal reasons the site was taken down. Legal reasons. It's legal. The site was illegal. A petition can change the law? No.
So, presuming the petition is going to be sent to NAS, and then find its way to the desk of someone with power, and then be read by that person and not thrown away, you believe they are going to completely change their outlook and want the site to come back because 2,500 people want it to, probably aware already that a couple thousand used it?

You signing a petition isn't fighting them; it's utterly meaningless and lazy, but it gives you the feeling you're 'fighting' them. Like changing your Facebook picture to a French flag or sharing an article.

And as was said, due to legal reasons the site was taken down. Legal reasons. It's legal. The site was illegal. A petition can change the law? No.

Ah, now I get you. You're right, I myself am not usually one for signing petitions; they're useless and I'm not actually sure why I've put so much effort (not a lot but relatively a lot.) into this one.

It was kind of legal, but NAS took it down because it used their artwork. First, though, NAS warned the Dueling Network about this and thus it complied and stopped using the artwork. Then, for no reason, apparently, NAS went ahead and shut the site even though it, essentially, had nothing to do with them anymore due to the cessation of usage of their artwork. Legal, perhaps, or maybe not.

Quick Reply

Latest