The Student Room Group

Why are there so many misconceptions about BLM??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kurosaki_Ichi
Its because the BLM movement gives the Black community a voice. The media portray Black people as violent and aggressive, hence the majority fear the Black community and the idea of them getting a voice

Was the Fresh Prince of Bel Air smashing people's heads in? What about the nutty professor? Was Corey in the house smashing people up? I'm sure the kid in the pursuit of happyness was removing people's kneecaps with knives.

Besides, it isn't like there aren't white villains in tons of movies.
Original post by joecphillips
Saying group A is statistically more likely to do something than group B isn't racist if the statistics show this, which they do, I know everyone is an individual but if we are having this conversation then we have to discuss the issue of how people are perceived we have to be able to discuss why these perceptions exist and the statistics show part of the reason.

When you talk about recent kkk rallies do you mean the one where they turn up and get attacked?

I don't think they said it in a reasonable way though. There's a difference between making a sweeping generalisation like 'blacks have a propensity towards crime' and then saying someone is statistically more likely to do something like 'black people are over represented in crime stats' . It's the language they use which causes trouble and can be easily interpreted as racist because it sounds like they're ascribing traits to an entire race.

The you tuber said they hadn't had any activity which is what I was getting at.
Reply 62
There are so many points that can be made about this. But when you are attacking white people because some thug who attacked a mixed black/hispanic guy got shot - you need your head examined. You also need your head examined when your daddy is a multi-millionaire railrod executive, you get into uni on an affirmative action scheme and an affirmative action scholarship - and at the end of it all you consider yourself oppressed and call poor white people (who had to work 100x harder than you) 'privileged'. Not everything is the white mans fault.
Reply 63
Original post by StrawbAri
I don't think they said it in a reasonable way though. There's a difference between making a sweeping generalisation like 'blacks have a propensity towards crime' and then saying someone is statistically more likely to do something like 'black people are over represented in crime stats' . It's the language they use which causes trouble and can be easily interpreted as racist because it sounds like they're ascribing traits to an entire race.

The you tuber said they hadn't had any activity which is what I was getting at.

I thought you were talking about Anaheim I recently saw someone say the kkk were violent and used the case of them getting attacked as proof.
In the situation I believe they are talking about they were the victims.

I disagree with what they say but I don't think violence should be used to shut down speech.

But the kkk were very violent, they used violence as speech and to shut down speech. Surely, In this context its unfair to blame the people who disrupted the kkk rallies as the true aggressors. Without the kkk there probably wouldn't be a BLM movement.
Reply 65
But the kkk were very violent, they used violence as speech and to shut down speech. Surely, In this context its unfair to blame the people who disrupted the kkk rallies as the true aggressors. Without the kkk there probably wouldn't be a BLM movement.

In the past they were but nowadays they are pretty insignificant and I thought they were talking about a specific event in which they were attacked, which is what I am talking about.

How is it unfair to hold people responsible for their actions? BLM is apparently all for this.
[video]https://youtu.be/ldEz80CXzzo[/video]
It really looks as if the people running away are the aggressors.

Once again I'm saying if people shoe a group as violent do so on their actions not what is done to them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TercioOfParma
Was the Fresh Prince of Bel Air smashing people's heads in? What about the nutty professor? Was Corey in the house smashing people up? I'm sure the kid in the pursuit of happyness was removing people's kneecaps with knives.

Besides, it isn't like there aren't white villains in tons of movies.

Of course, you named comedy shows that revolve around a leading black cast.
In the past they were but nowadays they are pretty insignificant and I thought they were talking about a specific event in which they were attacked, which is what I am talking about.

How is it unfair to hold people responsible for their actions? BLM is apparently all for this.
[video]https://youtu.be/ldEz80CXzzo[/video]
It really looks as if the people running away are the aggressors.

Once again I'm saying if people shoe a group as violent do so on their actions not what is done to them.
I agree with you about the violence, it should definitely be a peaceful protest and it seems that's how it was done in the past, its this generation who are enforcing anger. However, compare the deaths caused by the kkk and the deaths caused by BLM. They aren't comparable on any level. I understand violence is violence, but its wrong to use the kkk as the point of BLM violence.
Reply 68
I agree with you about the violence, it should definitely be a peaceful protest and it seems that's how it was done in the past, its this generation who are enforcing anger. However, compare the deaths caused by the kkk and the deaths caused by BLM. They aren't comparable on any level. I understand violence is violence, but its wrong to use the kkk as the point of BLM violence.

I thought that someone was talking about the specific incident I showed as they had mentioned the kkk's recent rally, I was not talking about the history of the kkk if you want to talk about that there is no doubt the kkk is worse.
I thought that someone was talking about the specific incident I showed as they had mentioned the kkk's recent rally, I was not talking about the history of the kkk if you want to talk about that there is no doubt the kkk is worse.

Oh, ok I guess that's the flaw of this debate, its very messy. Both sides are really to blame
People have dealt with the other issues. I think African Americans have a huge chip on their shoulder in general and they're determined to blame other people for all of their problems. If a black person dares to criticise the accepted status quo, they are called a "coon". I think it's ridiculous and I've lost all sympathy for black people in America.

The difference being that the KKK is a largely historical organisation and the vast majority of people view them as racist.

It isn't just the violence of the BLM movement that disturbs me; it's the fact that they get so aggressive and are liable to scream racism if you dare to question anything they say. They often twist the facts of a case so that it fits their narrative and they don't give a crap about anything other than police violence. What about the fact that black people commit far more crimes proportionally than anyone else? That's a more important issue, but god forbid black people should take responsibility for anything.
Some white racists just pretended to be under misconceptions. Actually they are smart enough to know things about BLM. They're not idiots. They are KKK in disguise. They want to rule the world controlling everything.

1469335093553.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by YaliaV
The difference being that the KKK is a largely historical organisation and the vast majority of people view them as racist.

It isn't just the violence of the BLM movement that disturbs me; it's the fact that they get so aggressive and are liable to scream racism if you dare to question anything they say. They often twist the facts of a case so that it fits their narrative and they don't give a crap about anything other than police violence. What about the fact that black people commit far more crimes proportionally than anyone else? That's a more important issue, but god forbid black people should take responsibility for anything.

View them as racist??? They are racist, period. And killed far more people...

Ugh, that crime stat about Black people commiting crimes is constantly regurgitated. Its kinda bull. Every race is just as likely to commit a crime, to analyse it by race isnt reliable and creates its own problems. There are also far too many variables which can be responsible for people going to prison.

The crime stats are junk but ill use them for this instance...

In 2010 Crime statistics confirm that White people commited more crime than any other race. Also, in 2011 crime stats confirm that there was more White on White violence than Black on Black violence. But i guess you dont hear that one often..

It has also been proven on many occasions that Black people are likely to face longer prison sentences and such we all know the inequalities... And its not just black people, its every race. Which is another flaw to the crime stat arguement

But back on your original point, crime as a whole is an issue.

And i cant make any excuses for Black people in America, i agree, the situation is dire and something needs to be done about it from both sides of the story. No single race is to blame.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anonwinner
Indeed, I don't think black lives matter more than any other lives, everyone is equal.

Is it called BLMOAO (Black Lives Matter Above All Others)? Didn't think so.
There is also a stereotype that White people are racist, racial supremacists and imperialists. Since more foreign invasions throughout history and now were carried out by White people than any other race and more racial supremacist groups consist of White people than any other race, despite that Whites make up a minority of the world's population, does this make the stereotype true?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
People fear black people because they are in fact enormously violent. African Americans are only 13% of the the American population yet that commit over 50% of all homicides. http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-black-americans-commit-crime/19439

If there is a stereotype that African Americans are violent perpetuated by the media, it is because the stereotype is in fact true. The black community in America is simply awash with social degeneracy.

As i said in my earlier post, these crime stats do not mean much and many factors come into play. The fact that Black people were always more likely to be stopped and charged and recieve the longer prison sentences. Also the fact that crime links with poverty and African Americans are poorer in many states than White Americans. The effect of White privilege in America also comes into play. Lastly, White Americans are more likely to recieve probabtion and laxer terms than African Americans.

You say African Americans are "enormously" violent but look at Slavery and the majority of the genocides including (to the point of millions) performed throughout history, who were they performed by?

And if you think its unfair or blunt for me to use history to show evidence of a violent race, then its unfair to use crime stats to show evidence of a violent race without considering all the variables.
View them as racist??? They are racist, period. And killed far more people...

Ugh, that crime stat about Black people commiting crimes is constantly regurgitated. Its kinda bull. Every race is just as likely to commit a crime, to analyse it by race isnt reliable and creates its own problems. There are also far too many variables which can be responsible for people going to prison.

The crime stats are junk but ill use them for this instance...

In 2010 Crime statistics confirm that White people commited more crime than any other race. Also, in 2011 crime stats confirm that there was more White on White violence than Black on Black violence. But i guess you dont hear that one often..

It has also been proven on many occasions that Black people are likely to face longer prison sentences and such we all know the inequalities... And its not just black people, its every race. Which is another flaw to the crime stat arguement

But back on your original point, crime as a whole is an issue.

And i cant make any excuses for Black people in America, i agree, the situation is dire and something needs to be done about it from both sides of the story. No single race is to blame.

Well, I think BLM is a racist movement, as a lot of its members are most certainly racist and their behaviour has been terrible.

White people make up 62% of America, while black people make up 13%. Black people commit far more crime proportional to their number - that's a FACT. This is largely due to poverty, gangs and black people not valuing education. These issues are very urgent, but they are being ignored by black people because it's easier to blame other people.
Original post by unknowntsr
As a BLM campaigner, the ignorance around the cause and ethos about this political campaign is remarkable here on TSR, at least from what I can see.

http://blacklivesmatter.com/about/

and then if you have any questions, or counter arguments I would love to hear them.

but no1 -

NO saying ‘blacks’

we are not a colour, we are people, so ‘black people’ will suffice.

thanks

You mean you're a BLM rioter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ESPORTIVA LUTA
You mean you're a BLM rioter

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly. I don't see it as a credible movement because so many of its supporters are rude, aggressive or downright violent. They are disrespectful, yet they demand respect - that doesn't work. Rebels without a proper cause or a clue.

They are also racist, but are immune from criticism because they purport to represent a minority group. If I were black, I would not want them to represent me. Disgraceful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending