The Student Room Group

I get ill every time I kiss my boyfriend

Because of school and work my boyfriend and I tend to only see each other once or twice a week, and we don't kiss all that often. However I've noticed that whenever we have a heavy make out session I start to feel ill (sore throat, headache and fatigue) over the next few days.

I've been going out with him for a few months now and I only noticed it after my mum commented that I seem to be getting ill more often :s-smilie: Has anyone else had a similar thing happen to them? Would really like to know what's going on seeing as his hygiene is good and he's not been ill himself.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would surmise that you've either a piss-poor immune system, or an allergy towards something endemic to his environment but not present in yours; such as pet hair, for instance. I've experienced similar during the first exploratory throes of physical intimacy with a new partner, but seldom again after the second or third such occurrence, so to still be reporting this kind of consistently adverse reaction following several months of even intermittent physical exposure certainly strikes me as abnormal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Profesh
I would surmise that you've either a piss-poor immune system, or an allergy towards something endemic to his environment but not present in yours; such as pet hair, for instance. I've experienced similar during the first exploratory throes of physical intimacy with a new partner, but seldom again after the second or third such occurrence, so to still be reporting this kind of consistently adverse reaction following several months of even intermittent physical exposure certainly strikes me as abnormal.

My immune system's always been pretty good, so I did wonder if it was an allergic reaction. He's got dogs, but I've always been fine around them before so I have no idea what else it could be.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Because of school and work my boyfriend and I tend to only see each other once or twice a week, and we don't kiss all that often. However I've noticed that whenever we have a heavy make out session I start to feel ill (sore throat, headache and fatigue) over the next few days. .

This in fact is more common than you think, and you are better off going to a GP to talk about it (since there are various causes and they are of course more knowledgeable).
Because of school and work my boyfriend and I tend to only see each other once or twice a week, and we don't kiss all that often. However I've noticed that whenever we have a heavy make out session I start to feel ill (sore throat, headache and fatigue) over the next few days.

I've been going out with him for a few months now and I only noticed it after my mum commented that I seem to be getting ill more often :s-smilie: Has anyone else had a similar thing happen to them? Would really like to know what's going on seeing as his hygiene is good and he's not been ill himself.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/HIV/Pages/Symptomspg.aspx
Reply 5
Original post by kkboyk
This in fact is more common than you think, and you are better off going to a GP to talk about it (since there are various causes and they are of course more knowledgeable).

Thank you. I wanted to ask around first before talking to a GP because it's a little embarrassing ahaha :colondollar:
Reply 6

You can't get HIV through kissing :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Perhaps his side chick passed something over. :dontknow:
(edited 7 years ago)
Man needs to wash his mouth with soap and water - NASTY AF
it's not been happening that long, perhaps it's just coincidence? you can't catch HIV from kissing and you also wouldn't 'catch' a flare up every time you kissed so I dunno what they're talking about, it wouldn't be anything you catch I wouldn't have thought as you would catch it once and that would be that... if you're worried about how ill you're getting you could ask your GP for a blood test? you can also get free STD checks if that's something that concerns you, although like I said, I doubt it is this
One of my best friends swears that used to happen to her with this boy she used to hook up with. She went to the doctor and seemed to think she used to catch glandular fever off him, and for some reason he carried it but didn't experience any symptoms. But I really don't think glandular fever works like that...
A lot of people get Glandular Fever. It's also known as the kissing illness, or words to that effect. But you usually only get it if you are kissing a few different people. Perhaps your boyfriend is kissing others without you knowing?
Reply 12
Original post by Twinpeaks
One of my best friends swears that used to happen to her with this boy she used to hook up with. She went to the doctor and seemed to think she used to catch glandular fever off him, and for some reason he carried it but didn't experience any symptoms. But I really don't think glandular fever works like that...

Glandular fever is a viral infection so it makes sense to work like that

Thank you. I wanted to ask around first before talking to a GP because it's a little embarrassing ahaha :colondollar:

If you're feeling embarrassed just know that it will not in no way whatsoever be the most embarrassing things they had to diagnose.
Original post by kkboyk
Glandular fever is a viral infection so it makes sense to work like that

If you're feeling embarrassed just know that it will not in no way whatsoever be the most embarrassing things they had to diagnose.

I know but I was under the impression that glandular fever has more of a long term effect, and can be quite nasty. I think it's more severe than just a few days of illness. People I know who have had it have suffered for months.

But then again everyone responds differently I suppose :dontknow:
Has it happened with anyone else? You might be allergic to something in his saliva - my brother used to bite me a lot, and while he never broke the skin, I always had allergic reactions (bloody great big rashes) wherever his spit went.
This has been happening to me! I have had tonsilitis 3 times since December and 2 of those times I had been with him. Currently waiting on test results for Glandular Fever as the doc thinks he may be a carrier :-/
Ladies, do your men have beards and or mustaches? Cuz I get this with a certain guy in my life and he does have both and I’m guessing germs on it may be the cause
Study vitalism. I know a guy named Austin and I'm gay for him. I want to sleep by him and walk where he goes. I want to love him and people are crowding us a lot. So I can't kiss him that much. I feel sick sometimes. Play a song.
I have the exact same problem!! Every time I kiss someone I will develop what seems to be tonsillitis and have to go on a series of antibiotics and one time even ended up in hospital for 2 days because I became immune to the weaker antibiotics they had given me, I’m now on 500mg tablets every time. I’m now on the list to have my tonsils taken out but will this actually stop it as you can still get it with or without tonsils :frown: I realise this was posted 3 years ago but if you did go to your doctor and they gave you a correct answer please let me know as me and my doctors are clueless at this point!!
Yes! I have the same problem :frown: I don't find answers on the internet. I like my bf but every time I kiss him passionately (tongue) I end up with a sore throat and getting a cold for the week. Then when I'm feeling better (by like Thursday), I see him again on Friday or Saturday and it all comes back.I'm not sure what to do except for starting to carry a bottle of listerine on my bag, to see if it goes away with that. :frown: I hope it gets solved, because kissing is my favorite part.

Latest

Trending

Trending