The Student Room Group

What MAC LAPTOP should I choose?

Right so will hopefully be going to UWE in September and need a laptop with a good battery life. Studying Forensic science so would need to make presentations, essays (probably) and graphs and such. Will also be browsing, netflix and skyping so general stuff.

Through the financial plan I can afford a apple laptop and need to decide between the new Macbook or Macbook Air 13 inch.
Anyone who has a Mac if you could please help me decide whats best for my studies :smile:

Thank you x
Original post by Lauren_Casserly
Right so will hopefully be going to UWE in September and need a laptop with a good battery life. Studying Forensic science so would need to make presentations, essays (probably) and graphs and such. Will also be browsing, netflix and skyping so general stuff.

Through the financial plan I can afford a apple laptop and need to decide between the new Macbook or Macbook Air 13 inch.
Anyone who has a Mac if you could please help me decide whats best for my studies :smile:

Thank you x

Don't rush to buy a laptop - especially if you're getting something from Apple.

University students get ~15% discount (plus better support/warranty plans) but you have to be a university student to qualify: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/its/itresources/software/offersforstudents.aspx
Original post by PQ
Don't rush to buy a laptop - especially if you're getting something from Apple.

University students get ~15% discount (plus better support/warranty plans) but you have to be a university student to qualify: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/its/itresources/software/offersforstudents.aspx

Don't worry waiting until after results day and gonna discuss it more with my dad but just would like help make a general decision :smile:
I would get the Macbook Air. You're making a good choice looking at lightweight laptops (I started uni with a macbook pro and ended up buying a macbook air 4 weeks later because it was too heavy to carry round with books etc). Personally, I think the new Macbook looks beautiful and I've been eyeing it up since it came out, but a Macbook Air will do everything you need and be light enough to carry round without any issues (plus it has better battery life which has been a real lifesaver for me when I've forgotten my charger and had to be in the library all day). Save yourself the £300 difference. You'll need it for books/food/travel.
Original post by GoingToBurst
I would get the Macbook Air. You're making a good choice looking at lightweight laptops (I started uni with a macbook pro and ended up buying a macbook air 4 weeks later because it was too heavy to carry round with books etc). Personally, I think the new Macbook looks beautiful and I've been eyeing it up since it came out, but a Macbook Air will do everything you need and be light enough to carry round without any issues (plus it has better battery life which has been a real lifesaver for me when I've forgotten my charger and had to be in the library all day). Save yourself the £300 difference. You'll need it for books/food/travel.

I agree with this ^

I think a Mac Air is well worth the price and I take it to university with me all the time. I know someone who has a Pro and they complain about it being a bit too bulky. If you have the money get the Pro but otherwise I would thoroughly recommend the Air.
Original post by Lauren_Casserly

Thank you x

As it's just between the MacBook and the MacBook Air, I definitely recommend the Air. The MacBook does have a nicer screen, but in most other ways the Air is better - it has a faster processor, so it'll last longer (Core i instead of Core M), longer battery life (12 hours instead of 10 hours), a better keyboard, and more ports. The MacBook only has a single USB-C port, so you'd need to buy an adapter so plug in a USB stick etc., while the Air has lots of ports, including MagSafe, so the charger will magnetically disconnect if someone trips over the cord. And, of course, the Air is slightly cheaper.

You can get a 10% discount on MacBooks, as someone mentioned, but you don't have to wait until you go to university. You can sign up to Unidays - the system that Apple uses to verify that you're a student - with your school or college email address, which is what I did. If you order before early September you'll also get free wireless Beats; I've found that they're not the best headphones ever, but they RRP for around £270 yet were completely free, so it's worth getting the Air while the promotion is ongoing.

If you can afford the Pro, I do recommend it - I have one, and it has the advantages of the MacBook (lovely Retina screen), with the advantages of the Air (ports and power), and it isn't much heavier than the 13 inch Air, but if your budget is limited, the Air is definitely superior to the MacBook.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest