The Student Room Group

British students may be excluded from Erasmus after Brexit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Quite why the average taxpayer's money should go towards funding a privileged university student's year-long holiday in Europe I never really grasped in the first place. If you want that you can pay for it yourself.

Lmao.

Did not realise that studying at a foreign university or teaching abroad as an English Language assistant is the same thing as a holiday but okay.

Don't comment on things you have no experience of sweetie.
Original post by Plagioclase
How on earth can you argue that it's petty? It's an EU project for EU member states and the rules were very clearly laid out when we joined. I don't understand why you think we suddenly deserve special status and should be allowed to pick and choose which rules we follow when everybody else has to follow them all.

I don't think that's a good argument, because the UK would still be paying into the EU and having to accept EU students if Erasmus were continued. In other words, they're rejecting any sort of continued relationship with the UK based on freedom of movement, when it's not a human right.

What I think is petty is locking the UK out of all programs associated with the EU and negotiating in bad faith. They're essentially issuing a "free movement or nothing" ultimatum, which seems petulant and uncompromising at this point.

I don't think it's a big deal, because most people would probably prefer to take English-language classes anyway, but it does seem like they're negotiating in bad faith.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JordanL_
Or the working class people who actually bother to try to achieve things instead of sitting around, perpetually *****ing and finding others to blame for their **** lives. I want to go to uni and get out of this horrible area and do something worthwhile, and it's disgusting that I'm having opportunities to do that taken away by miserable, self-serving, jaded cretins that think nobody should get these opportunities just because they never bothered taking them.

Just like how you're taking away jobs and success from fishermen by supporting remain? 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Oh my mistake, I forgot it's only upper-middle class privately educated girls who go on Erasmus.

Seriously, why do you feel a need to comment on absolutely everything even if it's blatantly obvious that you know nothing about it?

There are less than 2000 people who apply to Erasmus each year. Although it would be nice to keep the Erasmus program, it's likely we can only do that as part of the EU. To me, the fact that it is not a major issue and affects so few people means that it is not an argument that should be used for Britain to remain in the EU.

Touched a nerve did I?:biggrin:
Reply 43
[QUOTE="Plagioclase;66572006"] Source (The Guardian)
How upsetting and desperately unfair to future students to be denied this wonderful opportunity.

Cheers older people who voted to leave.
Cheers for voting for a future you won't have.
Original post by richpanda
There are less than 2000 people who apply to Erasmus each year. Although it would be nice to keep the Erasmus program, it's likely we can only do that as part of the EU. To me, the fact that it is not a major issue and affects so few people means that it is not an argument that should be used for Britain to remain in the EU.

Touched a nerve did I?:biggrin:

What an utterly miserable life you must live to have that attitude, good heavens. Maybe one day you'll realise that it's not a crime to be a pleasant human being.
Original post by TercioOfParma
How immature of Erasmus.

Pretty sure Erasmus died a long time ago..

Spoiler

Yeah and if you read the article, you'd know that Switzerland pays a huge amount to keep it in place which means it's only accessible for wealthy students.

Busted.- read it when back...

If the UK govt wants to keep it in place it can, just by paying for it. Maybe it will be one of the areas that is considered recriprocal or maybe a political football?

Plenty of other sectors such as cahrities will lose out on EU funding and its up to the UK givt whether it wants to make jup the shortfall. Its not hard to do if it wants to.

Updated

Ok all it says is it raises the prospect of only wealthy students, but the article doesnt give any details.
Perfectly possible for the UK to bear the costs so the student in unaffected. There is nothing to say any agreements have to work exactly the same way as the swiss.

Its likely anyway that it all depends on free movement and our attitude towards that. Theres a good chance it will be accepted as the price to access the single market. I think thats a much bigger issue. I dont think the UK would have any major problem with Erasmus and we are in a slightly different position that Switz or Norway in that we have the English language and a large education sector meaning plenty more want to come and study here.

I wouldnt be all that worried about it.
(edited 7 years ago)
What an utterly miserable life you must live to have that attitude, good heavens. Maybe one day you'll realise that it's not a crime to be a pleasant human being.

I'd rather be a **** and be right, than a nice person who is wrong. Face it, compared to many other issues that were debated in the EU referendum, it is relatively irrelevant. As I said, it would be nice to keep it, but it's unlikely that we will.
Original post by Inexorably
Lmao.

Did not realise that studying at a foreign university or teaching abroad as an English Language assistant is the same thing as a holiday but okay.

Don't comment on things you have no experience of sweetie.

I know people who've done it, both coming here and going abroad. It's primarily a holiday. It's unnecessary, it's to no-one's benefit but the student's, and it should be funded out of the student's own pocket.

The taxpayer does not owe you a year-long trip to a foreign country. Whining about not being gifted that is pathetic and unbearably self-entitled.
Original post by richpanda
I'd rather be a **** and be right, than a nice person who is wrong. Face it, compared to many other issues that were debated in the EU referendum, it is relatively irrelevant. As I said, it would be nice to keep it, but it's unlikely that we will.

Oh my oh my, university and A-Level students are going on a students forum on the internet complaining about an issue that only affects A-Level and university students, what has the world gone to.
I know people who've done it, both coming here and going abroad. It's primarily a holiday. It's unnecessary, it's to no-one's benefit but the student's, and it should be funded out of the student's own pocket.

The taxpayer does not owe you a year-long trip to a foreign country. Whining about not being gifted that is pathetic and unbearably self-entitled.

Perhaps the people you knew were too dumb to learn from a foreign experience such as this?
Original post by oShahpo
Perhaps the people you knew were too dumb to learn from a foreign experience such as this?

Actually I think there were a few dumb people at Cambridge with me, but by your standards they were probably still pretty smart.
Pretty sure the eu have been trying to scrap it for years anyway because it's so expensive. I did my year abroad three years ago nearly now (wow time flies) and there were rumours of the eu no longer being able to afford it even then ( all our grants were paid late)
Actually I think there were a few dumb people at Cambridge with me, but by your standards they were probably still pretty smart.

My standards? The sign of a true scholar, making judgements based on no evidence and failed assumptions based on feelings.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bigmeat
Cheers older people who voted to leave.
Cheers for voting for a future you won't have.

i can only laugh at the people who have a go at the older folks for this. It's hilarious and pathetic.
Noooooooooooooooooooooo.
Leave voters are typically not invested in Tertiary Education for either themselves or their children. Their skill set does not extend far beyond Spotting The Ball and making lumpy gravy for their Sunday Roast.
Original post by pizzanomics
Absolutely disgusted. If this ruins my year abroad, and unforunately being a languages student starting in September it looks like it will, then I honestly don't think I will be able to forgive those who voted for us to leave the EU. Another major benefit being stripped of us for no good reason.

The Erasmus scheme (as well as the freedom of movement) was one of the main reasons I also voted to remain. I'm honestly fed up of how our country has pretty much gone to **** in the past month. I'm predicting a massive brain drain, and I'm going to be a part of it.

Realistically you are not. Your language degree will not qualify you for any graduate job on the continent. If you achieve fluency at all, you will certainly be able to sell it for more on the British translator market than you will be in a country where all it shows is that you are "almost" as good at communicating as anyone with a high school diploma and have no other distinguishing skills. Imagine you received a CV in the UK with the only demonstrated skill being the ability to speak English. I am fluent in German and it is not worth a Euro Cent to me.

Anyway, language degrees arrange placement in non-EU countries, and arranged placements in EU countries before the EU. Far more EU people want to learn English than British people want to learn EU languages, so I suspect Erasmus represents a significant net loss to the UK taxpayer, money that can be used to re-fund legitimate uses of educational travel in the British national interest with much to spare.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 58
There are countries that are not in EU but participate in Erasmus+ like Turkey or Norway so be patient and don't panic yet.
Reply 59
According to the Guardian article, Switzerland has to pay extra to be part of the scheme which means it isn't accessible to poorer students.

But if Switzerland as a state has to pay extra how does this affect the cost for students? Obviously it's a bummer for Switzerland but I don't see how it affects individuals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending