The Student Room Group

If/when you get married who would you like to walk the down the aisle?

Scroll to see replies

Hate the symbolism. I'm no ones property. I'll walk myself down cheers.*

My father is still very much alive, but I'm sure he wouldn't particularly mind. *
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Congratulations!

I won't be having anyone walking me down the aisle / giving me away, purely because I'm not a fan of the tradition. I get that some people do, though, and so sorry about your dad.*

Thank you:smile: I m not a fan of most wedding traditions really, throwing the bouquet for fun might be the only one i decide to do the usual way. Would you deliberately find yourself somewhere with a short aisle then? I feel like if i do it with someone i might feel less nervous.
Sorry to hear about your father, and congratulations on getting engaged! My dad has passed away as well so I wont have him walking me down the aisle :frown:
I'll probably choose my mother when the time comes, God willing. :smile:
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Hate the symbolism. I'm no ones property. I'll walk myself down cheers.*

My father is still very much alive, but I'm sure he wouldn't particularly mind. *

I'm certainly no ones property either, i dont like where some of these wedding traditions seem to originate from (apparently they used to break some bread over bride's head to show they owned them -_-) .
My mum was very pleased for me when i told her yesterday but since i don't know if she knew that i wanted to get married before that, i m not sure if she'll be bothered or not if i dont ask her to walk me. Do you feel really confident to walk down the aisle alone with all the guests looking at you? (it makes me feel a little nervous, got worried i'd trip down a short aisle as a bridesmaid last month).
It's okay (i still miss him but its gotten easier over the years) but i m sure you can empathise how big life events can be bigger reminders than usual that our dads are no longer in our lives. Thank you for the congratulations:smile:

Original post by sameehaiqbal
Sorry to hear about your father, and congratulations on getting engaged! My dad has passed away as well so I wont have him walking me down the aisle :frown:
I'll probably choose my mother when the time comes, God willing. :smile:
If I get married I'll walk by myself but have bridesmaids follow me. Congrats on your engagement.
Original post by claireestelle

Firstly, congratulations on your engagement!

I personally love traditions, and walking down the aisle is no exception. If I were in your shoes, I would choose to ask my mum to walk me there - not only is it a nice symbol (bringing two families together) it's also good for confidence, having someone to hold your arm on the walk down. It's a personal decision, but if you'd like it, choose someone you're close to. It certainly doesn't have to be a male relative!

Your choice of donut instead of cake is such a brilliant decision though, love it!
Original post by Ladymusiclover
If I get married I'll walk by myself but have bridesmaids follow me. Congrats on your engagement.

ooh that's interesting, the 3 times i've done it bridesmaids have walked first (and i think i ll ask them to walk before me myself) Thank you :smile:
Original post by celloel
Firstly, congratulations on your engagement!

I personally love traditions, and walking down the aisle is no exception. If I were in your shoes, I would choose to ask my mum to walk me there - not only is it a nice symbol (bringing two families together) it's also good for confidence, having someone to hold your arm on the walk down. It's a personal decision, but if you'd like it, choose someone you're close to. It certainly doesn't have to be a male relative!

Your choice of donut instead of cake is such a brilliant decision though, love it!

Thank you:smile: I guess i m not that traditional, i think i ll still have a white dress (despite not being "pure" or whatever the old reason for white is:P) but that's it really. I couldn't pick a male relative even if that's what i wanted (i'm not particularly close to the grandad i have left and my 2 uncles both have daughter who they might get to walk down the aisle) . Taking into account what everyone's said its either choose mum to do it (assuming she's comfortable doing so) or do it alone, although you're right that would make me feel more confident :smile: I m still in shock and elated to be engaged but near the time the nerves of being the centre of attention for the day will probably hit me.

Thank you, i m glad to have some many positive comments about having doughnuts instead, i was a little concerned people might find it strange:P
Congrats and sorry about your dad. Perhaps try getting another male relative or friend to walk you down the asile. You can always ask your mum or sister tho. It's your call.
^^
I've very recently gotten engaged and one thing i m really unsure about is who to ask (if anyone) to walk me down the aisle, as my father passed away when i was 9. I m considering either asking my mum and sister or doing it alone or getting my fiancee to walk me.
(I know like many life events i m going to miss my dad not being but i don't know if doing it alone will make it more painful).
So i thought I'd ask tsr who they want to walk them or if you want to forget that tradition entirely?

Not seen my dad in years, so I'd like my twin brother to do it.
Original post by Adamski191
Congrats and sorry about your dad. Perhaps try getting another male relative or friend to walk you down the asile. You can always ask your mum or sister tho. It's your call.

Thank you :smile: I m not that close to my male relatives so choosing one would be a difficult decision to make, my late grandad would have been my 1st choice really.
Original post by Platopus
Not seen my dad in years, so I'd like my twin brother to do it.

Having a twin sibling to walk you must be pretty special :smile:
I've just remembered that my partner and I have agreed we'll walk down the aisle together when we get married. Would that be something to consider?
Original post by TattyBoJangles
I've just remembered that my partner and I have agreed we'll walk down the aisle together when we get married. Would that be something to consider?

It would be something I d quite like, if my fiancés willing to do it :smile:
I always planned on only inviting two random strangers to bear witness, rather than any family or friends.
Original post by Atlas Thugged
I always planned on only inviting two random strangers to bear witness, rather than any family or friends.

For a while that's what I thought I wanted, but I realised that would make me sad not having family there. But good on you for making that decision:smile:
For a while that's what I thought I wanted, but I realised that would make me sad not having family there. But good on you for making that decision:smile:

Thank you and all the best with your wedding Claire. Congratulations :biggrin:
Original post by Atlas Thugged
Thank you and all the best with your wedding Claire. Congratulations :biggrin:

Thank you:smile:
^^
I've very recently gotten engaged and one thing i m really unsure about is who to ask (if anyone) to walk me down the aisle, as my father passed away when i was 9. I m considering either asking my mum and sister or doing it alone or getting my fiancee to walk me.
(I know like many life events i m going to miss my dad not being but i don't know if doing it alone will make it more painful).
So i thought I'd ask tsr who they want to walk them or if you want to forget that tradition entirely?
Your mum should do it if your dad can't. Definitely shouldn't be your fiancé, as the whole point is that you're being symbolically delivered to him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending