The Student Room Group

Universities are already increasing their fees above £9000

Scroll to see replies

Will tuition fee loans increase with the tuition fees charged?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayofsunshine98
Will tuition fee loans increase with the tuition fees charged?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Except, they use RPIX, which is higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will the international fees also rise ?
Original post by Duke Glacia

International fees generally rise with inflation every year.
Original post by Duke Glacia

Cambridge 2017 fees for Group 4 (engineering) will be £25,275, up 5% on 2016. Excluding college fee...

But then again the GBP forex rate is in your favour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doesn't seem like an issue to me, in fact I don't even see how this affects me.

At the end of the day all this does is track tuition fees for the universities performing at an adequate level with inflation (i.e. in real terms the fee is the same) and doesn't for universities that aren't performing (i.e. their fees get eroded by inflation). Win-win situation.

The only time we as prospective and current students should start panicking is when the repayment terms are drastically changed - till then, it's all just noise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by edothero
A majority of CS grads tend to assume just because they have a 2.1/1st that they can waltz into any company and secure a job within weeks, when in reality jobs like Software Engineering (i.e techincal jobs that CS grads usually go into) require a portfolio; much like architecture.
A company like Google will take someone who doesn't have a degree but a good portfolio, loads of projects and hours under their belt over a CS grad with little or no experience, any day of the week.

As a result of our CS grads usually having little experience, jobs are snapped up by either self-taught programmers who acutally bother to take part in projects or attend hackathons. Or internationals *cue the immigrants are taking our jobs line* :laugh:

Mind you, I think CS education in this country is a shambles anyway. Far better in the USA.
I'll be starting CS at KCL this Sep. :rofl:

KCL? Wot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alicemidgetgem
Can I just ask, will this actually affect current students that much in terms of debt?

I mean you pay back your debt once you are earning roughly £21,000 or more and the amount you pay back depends of your wages rather than the amount of debt you are in. This means that you are paying the money back over a longer period of time but I thought that the debt is written after thirty years (apparently people only pay back 40% of their debt)....surely this means that the government is going to be paying for the tuition fee increase if people are going to be paying back a set amount anyway?

I hope you all understand what I mean?

You understood it perfectly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

Yup rejected by UCL and Imperial, quite harsh.

Not too fussed though, KCL has one of the best tech society's in the UK. Good chance to get some experience on my CV
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by edothero
Yup rejected by UCL and Imperial, quite harsh. I wonder if I'm gonna be the first student that the KCL Comp Sci department take that has A*A* in maths and further maths. Considering the official reqs are AAB with a B in maths.

Not too fussed though, KCL has one of the best tech society's in the UK. Good chance to get some experience on my CV

Fair play, I'm not knocking KCL at all! Was just curious as to the change from UCL/Imperial.

You'll smash it regardless anyway dude, you've got a great attitude :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Fair play, I'm not knocking KCL at all! Was just curious as to the change from UCL/Imperial.

You'll smash it regardless anyway dude, you've got a great attitude :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers :biggrin:
Best of luck to you also!
Original post by neal95
It's fine. I don't mind them putting up tuition fees. Why is it students only moan when tuition fees go up yet when they get a load in maintenance loan they don't even need you never hear them moaning? The arrogance

Erm...perhaps it's because they'll be the ones paying it back. :colonhash:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Erm...perhaps it's because they'll be the ones paying it back. :colonhash:

They have to pay maintenance loans back aswell....students literally get fees paid for at the entry point of studies....its lunacy, complaining at free money and very favourable terms
Original post by neal95
They have to pay maintenance loans back aswell....students literally get fees paid for at the entry point of studies....its lunacy, complaining at free money and very favourable terms

Yeah, "free money" they have to pay back, which will also increase anyway because of interest.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Yeah, "free money" they have to pay back, which will also increase anyway because of interest.

It's estimated that only forty-something percent of people will pay the full amount back, so the fifty-something percent who don't are likely to be given free money essentially

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 256
Original post by Underscore__
It's estimated that only forty-something percent of people will pay the full amount back, so the fifty-something percent who don't are likely to be given free money essentially

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of interest where is that figure from? I've heard 11% is more accurate so I'm just interested.
Original post by Aph
Out of interest where is that figure from? I've heard 11% is more accurate so I'm just interested.

This article in the daily mail (not the best source, I know) says 73% will have their loan wiped www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2601146/Three-four-graduates-paying-student-loans-50s-Most-face-having-debt-written-30-year-limit.html

I think different studies have come up with different numbers but the fact remains that for some people, going to uni is essentially being given free money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph

I think there's various numbers doing the rounds...

60% in this one
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10747315/Six-in-10-students-will-have-their-debts-written-off.html
It's 2.7%, not 0.27%. You've got your figures wrong by magnitude of 10. As a result, your argument completely breaks down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending