The Student Room Group

Can't stop worrying about the future

For some reason recently I've become far more anxious about everything and always seem to assume the worst is going to happen and leads me to a lot of stress.
Most recently it's the future, I just keep thinking that I'm not good enough and I'll never be able to succeed and get a career in my field despite my best efforts. I'm quite driven to succeed and it terrifies me that I won't be able to. It's getting to the point where it's worrying me that I worry about everything so much. People just assume that I'm high strung and while true it's just horrible to have this constant anxiety about everything.
I have just completed my first year at university and I think it's the lack of stuff for my mind to focus on that is causing my brain to just come up with things to worry about. I'm trying to keep my mind occupied by volunteering at a charity shop and going out with friends/family as much as I can but I can't avoid the horrible anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach.
Sorry about the rambling but I think it helps to write this all out!
Is the normal and does it happen to other people?
Reply 1
Original post by Lkathryn08
For some reason recently I've become far more anxious about everything and always seem to assume the worst is going to happen and leads me to a lot of stress.
Most recently it's the future, I just keep thinking that I'm not good enough and I'll never be able to succeed and get a career in my field despite my best efforts. I'm quite driven to succeed and it terrifies me that I won't be able to. It's getting to the point where it's worrying me that I worry about everything so much. People just assume that I'm high strung and while true it's just horrible to have this constant anxiety about everything.
I have just completed my first year at university and I think it's the lack of stuff for my mind to focus on that is causing my brain to just come up with things to worry about. I'm trying to keep my mind occupied by volunteering at a charity shop and going out with friends/family as much as I can but I can't avoid the horrible anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach.

At the moment I'm 17 and studying at sixth form. I also have the same thing as you do. There was a time where all I thought about was what is the point in life,going over and repeating it in my head and I kept thinking is life real? It's not as bad now but I don't know what or where I want to go on in life. There's just others knowing exactly what they want to do and there's me like "where do i go!?" Just know your not alone and Although yourve spoken about this on tsf, please speak to a freind you trust or a girlfriend/boyfriend if you have one as they will understand and try to help. Also take every opportunity you get!. I am anxious af about life as I just want to do the same as you, have a good life and career. At the moment it's the summer holidays so I'm doing my school work, trying to find a job which I've had no success. I also feel like I'm my life is just the same thing over and over again and I don't know what I'm doing after sixth form and it scares me....Just know even though we're different ages, there's at least one person who feels the same thing. It helps to talk about it tbh and I believe it will get better for You as you have a bright future ahead of yourself! Hope I've helped a little bit, made your day and not rambled on too much :smile: :smile:
Original post by Lkathryn08

Hey Kathryn,

Don't apologise for speaking up about things that are bothering you! It's really important to get support for things like this.

As you progress through uni, you get more responsibility and your workload increases so naturally you'll be worrying about that more. If you've got through your first year of uni, you're obviously doing something right and you're good enough! I'm doing an MA now and I still think I'm not good enough sometimes!

It's definitely hard to stop worrying about the future because of the way the graduate employment market is at the moment. It's scary, but if you make the most of the opportunities you get at uni and get what ever experience you can, there's no reason why you won't succeed at what you want to do.

You're doing the right thing by keeping yourself busy - it helps to be busy/around others when anxiety is eating away at you. Have you considered seeing a counselling service or mentor at your uni? It can help to speak to someone and get some proactive advice when you're struggling with anxiety!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending