The Student Room Group

House and dog sitting for £15 a day?

Hi,

This guy in my area has asked me to house sit for him for 5 days while he goes on business. He has a puppy (a couple of months old) and an older dog as well as a cat. He has suggested that I get payed £15 a day amounting to £75.

However, without wanting to sound rude, I feel like this is not quite as much as I was expecting. I'm going to be living in his house for 5 days, as well as walking his dogs, and looking after the puppy. Having had puppies before, I know how dependent they are on you and how much attention they need to stay out of trouble.

My parents are hiring a close friend of mine to look after our 3 dogs and live in our house for 5 days later this summer. They will be paying her £50 a day, which is a lot I know but it's still cheaper than putting them in kennels/boarding at someone else's house.

The guy I'm sitting for is very well off and could definitely afford to give me more.

I'm unsure what to do. Am I thinking wrong? Is £15 enough?
Reply 1
Original post by Orlanda
Hi,

This guy in my area has asked me to house sit for him for 5 days while he goes on business. He has a puppy (a couple of months old) and an older dog as well as a cat. He has suggested that I get payed £15 a day amounting to £75.

However, without wanting to sound rude, I feel like this is not quite as much as I was expecting. I'm going to be living in his house for 5 days, as well as walking his dogs, and looking after the puppy. Having had puppies before, I know how dependent they are on you and how much attention they need to stay out of trouble.

My parents are hiring a close friend of mine to look after our 3 dogs and live in our house for 5 days later this summer. They will be paying her £50 a day, which is a lot I know but it's still cheaper than putting them in kennels/boarding at someone else's house.

The guy I'm sitting for is very well off and could definitely afford to give me more.

If he's well off then yeah it's not a lot of money, you should negotiate. Kennels are usually around £10-15 per pet a day as well, at least where I live so he should pay more for 1 on 1 care AND house sitting
Original post by Orlanda
Hi,

£15 isn't enough. How long do you even classify as 1 day from what exact hours/time?

Personally, I wouldn't do it for anything less than £35-40/day.

Pro tip: when you take the pets outside for a walk, play pokemon go. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
£15 isn't enough. How long do you even classify as 1 day from what exact hours/time?

Personally, I wouldn't do it for anything less than £35-40/day.

Pro tip: when you take the pets outside for a walk, play pokemon go. :smile:

The guy hasn't specified, but I will probably wake up like 8/9 ish, bed at 10/11. So max probably 16 hours I'm awake, of course I'm not going to be with the dogs for every second but will be 'there' incase anything happens.

Pokemon Go would be ideal if I played it, lol I knew I would get addicted and got crap to do this summer so needed to stay focused haha
Original post by Orlanda
Hi,

Definitely not enough. Find out what the going rate is and also compare that with kennels. He is taking advantage.
Reply 5
Original post by Orlanda
Hi,

personally i'm desperate af for a job so i'd do that ****, in any case seems like people are saying you should negotiate since it's a bit low so you should probably go with that.
Tbh I'd happily get £15 a day
I have looked at the services and they are anywhere between £37 and £50 a day. Min you should do it for is £30 a day. You need to be prepared to ask for more or walk away. Just tell him you want a fair rate so £150-175 for 5 days imo.
Reply 8
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Tbh I'd happily get £15 a day

It's just the week I'm supposed to be doing it is the week before my UKCAT. I wouldn't have accepted the offer if the guy had told me he was going to pay me £15 a day because I could be using the time for revision
Reply 9
Thanks for the responses anyway guys. Am planning to drop him a line this evening.

Anyone got any ideas how I can word this text in the least rude way possible? Don't want it to be awkward when I get there :/
Reply 10
Original post by Orlanda
The guy hasn't specified, but I will probably wake up like 8/9 ish, bed at 10/11. So max probably 16 hours I'm awake, of course I'm not going to be with the dogs for every second but will be 'there' incase anything happens.

Pokemon Go would be ideal if I played it, lol I knew I would get addicted and got crap to do this summer so needed to stay focused haha

How can you get addicted to pokemon go. All you do is get pokemon.you cant do anything with them. Lifelesa

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Orlanda
Hi,

Find out the average rate in your area. You have plenty of room for negotiation. Like you have mentioned it is a lot cheaper then the kennels.
Yh thats not good money either tell him you deserve more or walk away
Reply 13
Hi everyone,

He has now offered £100 across the 5 days. = £20 per day.
I am unsure as to whether or not to take this offer. As I have said, it's a busy time for me. However, I would feel that I would be letting him down as I've already been down to his house to meet the dog and the puppy etc.

My dad says I shouldn't take the offer unless he agrees to £150 (£30 per day)

Any advice/opinions would be very useful thanks
Original post by Orlanda
Hi,

No it's not.. thats peanuts for that kind of job. Imagine how much you earn each hour..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Orlanda
Hi,

I have done the exact same job for my neighbours for free and wouldn't have dreamed of asking for payment so the thought of getting paid £15 a day is astonishing to me.
The man is taking advantage of you with his lowball offers. You would earn less than minimum wage and it costs you study time for important UKCAT. He expects a lot from you with dog walking and housesitting. The market rate is £35-45 a day. I think your dad is correct that £150 is fair. Walk away and study for your UKCAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending