The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Average GCSEs, good A-Levels. Chances of getting accepted?

I have 5 GCSEs @ grade A and 6 GCSEs @ grade B. Mathematics and Core Science were grade A.

For A Levels, I have A* Maths, A* Further Maths and A Physics.

I knuckled down in sixth form. What are my chances of getting accepted for Physics with these grades? I mean, my A-levels are good but my GCSE results are average!

I am not sure how much of an influence this will have.
(edited 7 years ago)
look up their requirements first..
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
I meet the A-Level requirements but I can't find any information on GCSEs. It's a top Uni, I am not sure if my GCSEs will hold me back.

Original post by Student403
look up their requirements first..
Original post by Bozbay
I meet the A-Level requirements but I can't find any information on GCSEs. It's a top Uni, I am not sure if my GCSEs will hold me back.

You said you have A*AA. The requirements say A*A*A.
Reply 4
Apologies! I typed wrong, I have A* in Further Maths.
Reply 5
Original post by Bozbay

You have the minimum GCSE requirements. It's worth an application.
Original post by Bozbay
I have 5 GCSEs @ grade A and 6 GCSEs @ grade B. Mathematics and Core Science were grade A.

For A Levels, I have A* Maths, A* Further Maths and A Physics.

I knuckled down in sixth form. What are my chances of getting accepted for Physics with these grades? I mean, my A-levels are good but my GCSE results are average!

I am not sure how much of an influence this will have.

Your A Levels are a much better indicator of how successful you're going to be at University. So don't worry too much about your GCSEs grades. After all, having bad GCSEs but good A Levels shows you're making a huge academic progress!

I wish you the best :smile:
Reply 7
Any chance you could link me to a page identifying their GCSE requirements? All I can find is that they require English Language @ grade B.

Thanks though!

Original post by Ayman!
You have the minimum GCSE requirements. It's worth an application.
Reply 8
I appreciate it, thank you!

Original post by tianshan
Your A Levels are a much better indicator of how successful you're going to be at University. So don't worry too much about your GCSEs grades. After all, having bad GCSEs but good A Levels shows you're making a huge academic progress!

Original post by Bozbay
Any chance you could link me to a page identifying their GCSE requirements? All I can find is that they require English Language @ grade B.

Thanks though!

then that's it.
Reply 10
I had a feeling they have a slightly "more in depth" requirement for GCSE results, perhaps not!

Original post by Student403
then that's it.
Reply 11
However I do hear that most Imperial students have straight A/A* at GCSE. Just slightly worrying!

Original post by Bozbay
However I do hear that most Imperial students have straight A/A* at GCSE. Just slightly worrying!

But Imperial is one of the most prestigious universities in the UK, so of course you'd expect some pretty impressive grades from them!
Reply 13
Of course! But I just wanted to know if my GCSE grades are likely or unlikely to hold me back. I cannot find any info on their GCSE requirements, but I am sure they use GCSE results to filter applicants

But Imperial is one of the most prestigious universities in the UK, so of course you'd expect some pretty impressive grades from them!
the fact you've achieved the grades already should mean they prefer you over someone with predicted grades and slightly better gcse grades; your gcse's are still good so just give it a shot and hopefully they will accept you :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by fefssdf
the fact you've achieved the grades already should mean they prefer you over someone with predicted grades and slightly better gcse grades; your gcse's are still good so just give it a shot and hopefully they will accept you :smile:

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending