The Student Room Group

A Situation I'm Not Sure How to deal with?

This is quite an awkward situation at the moment. Last year I lived with 6 other people in a uni/rented house (up to early July). I was the last person to leave the house (3 of them left by mid June) and then the rest left just a week before me.
Now here's the problem, there's an argument between us because the landlord is planning to deduct our rental deposits to fix and clean the house. I'm obviously the last person leaving the house...

Should I really be responsible for the cleaning cost because I'm the last person leaving the house? (or pay more?) I'm finding it unfair to be honest, I had to leave in a rush and i wasn't able to fully clean the house but I can honestly 100% say that none of the mess in kitchen/sitting room belongs to me (because I simply don't use it) *yes including the kitchen*.
I understand it might not be fair for the people who left the house much earlier.
I'm not trying to blame another person at all either, I'm more than happy to pay my share but I'm not happy if I have to pay the full price of the cleaning which is almost 300 or something?

It's getting rather difficult to get them to be more rational about this, so I think I need some advice.
Original post by MR_X1982
This is quite an awkward situation at the moment. Last year I lived with 6 other people in a uni/rented house (up to early July). I was the last person to leave the house (3 of them left by mid June) and then the rest left just a week before me.
Now here's the problem, there's an argument between us because the landlord is planning to deduct our rental deposits to fix and clean the house. I'm obviously the last person leaving the house...

Should I really be responsible for the cleaning cost because I'm the last person leaving the house? (or pay more?) I'm finding it unfair to be honest, I had to leave in a rush and i wasn't able to fully clean the house but I can honestly 100% say that none of the mess in kitchen/sitting room belongs to me (because I simply don't use it) *yes including the kitchen*.
I understand it might not be fair for the people who left the house much earlier.
I'm not trying to blame another person at all either, I'm more than happy to pay my share but I'm not happy if I have to pay the full price of the cleaning which is almost 300 or something?

It's getting rather difficult to get them to be more rational about this, so I think I need some advice.

Personally I think the fairest thing to do is share the cost equally, as you were all equally responsible for leaving the house clean regardless of when you moved out.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Personally I think the fairest thing to do is share the cost equally, as you were all equally responsible for leaving the house clean regardless of when you moved out.

But how exactly would you try and get these people to understand this concept? I honestly don't think it would work just telling them we're all responsible.

Thank you so much for answering btw. Really appreciated.
But how exactly would you try and get these people to understand this concept? I honestly don't think it would work just telling them we're all responsible.

Is there one big deposit or did you all place your deposits seperately?
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
Is there one big deposit or did you all place your deposits seperately?

We've all paid it separately.
They should have cleaned up their mess before they left. Just because you left last, doesn't meake you responsile for everyone elses mess.
We've all paid it separately.

Assuming the landlord deducts an equal portion from each deposit then that should make things a lot easier. Your ex flatmates can dispute the amount they recieve back with the landlord, but can't lay claim to what you get back, if that makes sense?

They chose to leave earlier - that was their choice - they could have come back to help you clear the place.

An equal amount should be deducted from each of you.

Another time, you should agree about this before people leave.
Reply 8
Why, before leaving the house, did you not ensure they'd cleaned???

I was the last one for the last 2 years too, and whilst this year everyone did some cleaning, I finished it off, even if it wasn't "only" mine.
Last year they were pigs, and I also cleaned what was left. One of them left a carful of stuff - I made them come back and get it all.

You shouldn't have waited till now, and you're using the same excuse as my aforementioned lazy housemate did - presumably you finished weeks ago, just because you left it to the last minute doesn't mean you didn't have time.

When you leave last, that's always gonna be your job to check.
If it was their rooms it would be different, but presumably you have in the year used the communal areas.
I still wouldn't pay it all, but you did make large errors here IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending