The Student Room Group

Is it possibile to do multiple undergraduate courses at a time?

I mean can I study Computer Science and then also take a graduation in Software Engineering by doing the exams that I didn't for S.E?

Thank You
Original post by aansweer
I mean can I study Computer Science and then also take a graduation in Software Engineering by doing the exams that I didn't for S.E?

Thank You

Do you have a deathwish
Reply 2
that sounds like a bad idea mate.
No. You may be able to do 'joint honours', though unlikely for the subjects you mention. Why are you considering this?
Yeah if you're willing to give up living, eating sleeping.... Maybe it could be possible if you were committed. I guess you could take a gap year for one of the causes when you got to your last year in both coursesfinish one degree then finish the other in the following year.
Reply 5
Original post by Hamo2509
Do you have a deathwish

AHahhaah No
Reply 6
I want to do this for personal satisfaction. I would like to finish first Computer Science ,and after, If it is possible I want to take the exams that I am missing for Software Engineering and then I will have a second graduation. Now the question is, is this possible in UK (I am a EU student that is gonna study in UK from September, so I am not well informed about the uni system in england).
Reply 7
Some courses are flexible and will allow you to pick your final year modules. You could essentially study a Computer Science degree and take some modules in S.E (if they are available to you). I suggest taking this path as Computer Science is already very intense.
Reply 8
I don't care if you're the brightest student in the world this is not physically possible, it's also pretty pointless and a massive waste of money.
Original post by abc:)
I don't care if you're the brightest student in the world this is not physically possible, it's also pretty pointless and a massive waste of money.

Agreed. It's better to do one degree very well than two half-heartedly because you don't have the time.
Reply 10
Original post by Hamo2509
Agreed. It's better to do one degree very well than two half-heartedly because you don't have the time.

Also, even if some of the modules are shared, I would have thought you'd have to pay the full price for both degrees.

And do employers really care if you have two undergraduate degrees? Surely an undergrad and a Masters looks better.
Original post by aansweer
I want to do this for personal satisfaction. I would like to finish first Computer Science ,and after, If it is possible I want to take the exams that I am missing for Software Engineering and then I will have a second graduation. Now the question is, is this possible in UK (I am a EU student that is gonna study in UK from September, so I am not well informed about the uni system in england).

How will you fund two degrees?
Have you asked your university?
Presumably you are very clever i,e going to get a first or are going to shun having a social life.
Original post by 999tigger
How will you fund two degrees?
Have you asked your university?
Presumably you are very clever i,e going to get a first or are going to shun having a social life.

Given OP's question I'm a little dubious about that.

It doesn't matter if you are the most clever person in the country, degree performance mainly depends on one thing- hours. Hours of reading, writing, researching, learning, you get the drift. There are only a limited number of hours in the day, if you aren't physically able to put the minimum hours in, which you will not be able to if you are studying for two degrees, you will not do well.

So OP, if you want two poor degrees rather than one good degree, yeah go ahead.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Twinpeaks
Given OP's question I'm a little dubious about that.

It doesn't matter if you are the most clever person in the country, degree performance mainly depends on one thing- hours. Hours of reading, writing, researching, learning, you get the drift. There are only a limited number of hours in the day, if you aren't physically able to put the minimum hours in, which you will not be able to if you are studying for two degrees, you will not do well.

So OP, if you want two poor degrees rather than one good degree, yeah go ahead.

Not for me to judge, but make him think and he cna reach his own conclusion.

Theres clever and then theres very very clever.

I'd rather have one good degree.
Reply 14
So do you all think that one good Master Degree is Enough...and how lond does a PHD last after the master degree?

Thanks to all guys, you are very helpful
I have a friend who did 1st year of medicine and 1st year of telecoms to see which one he preferred, but this was some years ago and he was a genius. I don't think you'd be able to carry on with both degrees after 1st year tbh, but good luck :smile:
Someone's dad asked that at Harts as he felt that *in classroom time was too little for his daughter. His daughter slid down in her chair trying not to be noticed the guy was like well yes if the lessons don't clash but we do expect undergrads to do 8 hours of personal study per week on top of there classes this guy was like extant as we walked out of the talks herd him say to his daughter so what other degree are you going to take she looked at him like he was some kind of moron.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply