The Student Room Group

Meningitis Jab before starting uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
This is VERY important.

Well sometimes signing up to your uni's medical centre on Freshers is a bog-standard thing and they will ask you whether you had a meningitis jab before. You say "no" and usually, they'll offer it to you. Some unis don't, some unis do. Ask your uni personally.

At my first uni, 2 people got it. One died after 2/3 weeks and one fell into a coma and it was announced the family decided to turn his life support off after I think it was 5-6 months after being induced. It was just right before Christmas as well. It was so shocking to hear it cause you'd never would have thought it'd happen. While it's extremely uncommon, it still happens when you're 18. It's because Freshers go haaaard and their immune system just falls apart so you're looking for trouble if you don't take precautions.

So I definitely consider you should get it done cause you never know. You think it's highly unlikely, but it's not impossible sweetheart. Get it done for your own sake.

That's good to hear! I'll sort it out when I get to uni then - I move in a week before Freshers so I should be able to get it done before everyone else moves in and swamps the medical centre or have a chance to spread anything to me.

Thanks so much for your input!
Reply 21
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Ah, on my letter it said it was for those born between Sept 1st 1997 and Aug something 1998. It's basically a replacement for the usual one that they give to those heading off to uni. You should still be able to get it, but that's probably why you weren't on the system. If you had the jab when you were 18 then you may be okay, but they may suggest a booster anyway because of the increase in risk when you head off to uni.

It's likely because I'm past the typical age people go to uni I suppose! Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely get it when I get to York!
Original post by Katarvi
It's likely because I'm past the typical age people go to uni I suppose! Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely get it when I get to York!

Yeah, at my surgery it was a case of the system flagging up who should have it by date of birth, so that could well be it

Quick Reply

Latest