The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge Law

Which is easier to get into?
I want to do Spanish as well
I'm doing A-Level: English Lit, Spanish, Geography (AS Psych)
Year 12
ANY advice appreciated.
Original post by studentjjs
Which is easier to get into?
I want to do Spanish as well
I'm doing A-Level: English Lit, Spanish, Geography (AS Psych)
Year 12
ANY advice appreciated.

Neither course is substantially easier than the other.
The Oxford % success is usually ~4% lower but I don't think that small disparity matters a great deal.

I'd advise looking into the structure of the course at each institution as well as how many modules you get to pick for yourself, etc. as a starting point.

If you find yourself still with no immediate preference and so still want to pick the option with the greater chance of success, Oxford is known to be a little more focused on GCSE results and Cambridge a little more focused on AS UMS (Oxford doesn't get access to this data).

If your GCSEs are great but when you get your AS results, your UMS is a little lacking, Oxford may well be the safer option (and vice versa). If you're fortunate to be strong in both departments, the choice is all yours my friend.
Hi, I'm currently in year 11, studying G.C.S.E, progressing to A-levels next year. I aspire to study law or potentially law with European legal studies and desirably, this would be at Oxford; however, I appreciate its prestigious reputation and am aware they only admit an eclectic of students. If it's not too personal of a question, could any current Oxford law students tell me their G.C.S.E results?
Thank you in advance
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 99isaacthurgood
Hi, I'm currently in year 11, studying G.C.S.E, progressing to A-levels next year. I aspire to study law or potentially law with European legal studies and desirably, this would be at Oxford; however, I appreciate its prestigious reputation and am aware they only admit an eclectic of students. If it's not too personal of a question, could any current Oxford law students tell me their G.C.S.E results?
Thank you in advance

There's no golden set of results that guarantee entry. I know of applicants with straight A*s who were rejected and likewise know of some who were very disappointed with their GCSE results but still got offers.

Just aim for as good results as possible and go from there.

It's very easy to get a little obsessed with these things. From year 10, I was constantly checking the Oxford applicant stalking pages at GCSE results. Now speaking to the tutors about the whole process, that was a complete waste of time.

GCSEs only form part of the process (GCSE+LNAT for interview shortlisting) and a lowered importance come post-interview. Also, they are contextually considered in light of your school average so aim for top/close to the top of your school cohort and I imagine you'd put yourself in good stead.

Please don't worry about the exact number of A*s you need. I assure you it isn't helpful.
Thanks so much, I understand - I feel like if I apply to one or the other and don't get in I might've had a chance with the other! Did you go to Oxbridge? If so would you mind telling me your GCSE results? Thanks :smile:
Yeah that's my worry, I feel like I won't be able to get A*AA so maybe possibly AAA so it's so difficult to make a decision on what to apply for - if worse comes to worse I think I'll do exactly that as well and apply for Ox/Cambridge after the gap year. Oxford is def the one I really want to go to but I feel like my chances are so weak :frown:
Reply 6
Give it a shot. If you really think that Oxford is the right place for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending