The Student Room Group

Very strange job interview - am I going to get kidnapped? (serious question) HELP

Right....

I just got a call from a woman about a part time cleaning job I applied to a few hours ago. She offered me a job interview for tomorrow.... AT 5AM IN THE MORNING!!!!!! She was like 'we'll take a walk around a bulding and talk about it' She had a foreign accent. I was like OK.... so then she said she will text me the address. So she texts me the address and it's just a regular address in the city centre.

However I feel extremely weird, why would she ask me to meet her at 5 in the morning?

The company is called 'Solo Service Group' and this is the job ad

https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/GetJob.aspx?JobID=30327536&JobTitle=Cleaning+Operative-+Norwich&m=jobexpired&pp=25&where=Norwich%2c+Norfolk%2c+England&sort=rv.dt.di&rad=2&rad_units=miles&re=3&pg=20&AVSDM=2016-07-20T11%3a52%3a00-05%3a00

I did a google search and cant find an address for a branch of this company in my city and this job ad has been posted for years in other UK cities

Am I overreacting? Why would someone conduct a job interview at 5 AM?

Scroll to see replies

Maybe because they start at 6 or very early and thats when she has time to interview plus she wants to see if you can get out of bed. If you feel you are in danger, then dont go.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Do not go, just in case.
I am sure that you can find better job offers.
To me it looks scary as F
Original post by arcenciel21
why would she ask me to meet her at 5 in the morning?

Because office cleaning is performed outside normal office hours and it could very well be that this particular office is cleaned in the early morning rather than late at night. She will want to see that you can turn up on time at that time of day, and will want to conduct the meeting during her work time so that she can discuss the environment and, perhaps, get you to meet other members of the team (so that they can see if you will fit into the team).
Original post by 999tigger
Maybe because they start at 6 or very early and thats when she has time to interview plus she wants to see if you can get out of bed. If you feel you are in danger, then dont go.

Well lots of places open at 6, yet they dont make people wake up in the middle of the night so they can get to a job interview and 'take a walk' at 5 in the morning, plus why would she want to take a walk with me anyway?? Doesnt she have an office?

Im thinking maybe I should take a taxi and have the taxi wait for me while I talk to this woman...

It isn't dark outside at 5am in the morning I guess cause its summer...
Original post by Good bloke
Because office cleaning is performed outside normal office hours and it could very well be that this particular office is cleaned in the early morning rather than late at night. She will want to see that you can turn up on time at that time of day, and will want to conduct the meeting during her work time so that she can discuss the environment and, perhaps, get you to meet other members of the team (so that they can see if you will fit into the team).

She told me that my work hours would be 7-9 AM everyday so making me wake up at about 4 AM is a little bit unreasonable :frown:
I'd ask to meet somewhere... where there are cameras... (most places nowadays)
Well lots of places open at 6, yet they dont make people wake up in the middle of the night so they can get to a job interview and 'take a walk' at 5 in the morning, plus why would she want to take a walk with me anyway?? Doesnt she have an office?

Im thinking maybe I should take a taxi and have the taxi wait for me while I talk to this woman...

It isn't dark outside at 5am in the morning I guess cause its summer...

Why not complain to her about it or just say you are unsuitable for early morning starts?
She told me that my work hours would be 7-9 AM everyday so making me wake up at about 4 AM is a little bit unreasonable :frown:

Well, maybe she needs to interview you before she starts supervising her cleaners at 7am.
Original post by 999tigger
Why not complain to her about it or just say you are unsuitable for early morning starts?

1, I am not likely to get a job if I start complaining about it before the interview
2, I am not 'unsuitable' for early morning starts, I just feel weird that a woman with a foreign accent told me to take a walk with her at 5 in the morning and then she didn't even tell me where, she TEXTED me...
Original post by Good bloke
Well, maybe she needs to interview you before she starts supervising her cleaners at 7am.

Yeah I guess :frown: If I was gonna get kidnapped it probably would've been a man on the phone anyway :s-smilie:
Lol just take someone with you. Maybe she wants you to start straight away?
Could be a demonstation of what needs cleaning and how to do it.

Doing it at 5am means she won't waste working hours showing you stuff
Ask someone you trust to drop you off/come with you. Personally, I don't think it is a hoax as many cleaners start at these times so the house is ready when family's wake up in the morning. She could be testing you to see if you're on time and willing to come at those hours. If you are a willing person, you'll come no matter what time, even if you are working 7-9 am every day in the regular job. BTW, just because she has a foreign accent, doesn't mean she's dodgy.
Right....

I just got a call from a woman about a part time cleaning job I applied to a few hours ago. She offered me a job interview for tomorrow.... AT 5AM IN THE MORNING!!!!!! She was like 'we'll take a walk around a bulding and talk about it' She had a foreign accent. I was like OK.... so then she said she will text me the address. So she texts me the address and it's just a regular address in the city centre.

However I feel extremely weird, why would she ask me to meet her at 5 in the morning?

The company is called 'Solo Service Group' and this is the job ad

https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/GetJob.aspx?JobID=30327536&JobTitle=Cleaning+Operative-+Norwich&m=jobexpired&pp=25&where=Norwich%2c+Norfolk%2c+England&sort=rv.dt.di&rad=2&rad_units=miles&re=3&pg=20&AVSDM=2016-07-20T11%3a52%3a00-05%3a00

I did a google search and cant find an address for a branch of this company in my city and this job ad has been posted for years in other UK cities

Am I overreacting? Why would someone conduct a job interview at 5 AM?

Chances are it's legit but tell someone where you're going just in case.
Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable, don't go...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, I will keep you all updated tomorrow. If I never reply to this thread tomorrow, that's because I have been kidnapped or killed or something.
I'm a bit surprised you just said yes to the interview.. I guess if it was me I would have asked why so early.. It doesn't seem normal and you could do better than that.
Hey yea tell someone where you're going and if possible turn your phone sound recorder on once you arrive. Sorry. Just being cautious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Quite frankly I wouldn't go, especially if they cannot be found online. However, if you really wish to then I'd advise you take someone with you ( a friend or family member ) to be in the same place or around that area, just in case. Also if you have an iPhone, make sure your mobile data roaming is turned on. That way if you do end up being lost or kidnapped, you can be tracked down. But of course that is the extreme case! I'm sure you'll be okay so try stay calm and I wish you the best of luck. If you want further advice, you could call childline or speak to an adult in your life ( again, family or friend ).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending