The Student Room Group

Do you consider someone that speaks broken english stupid?

When I was around 9 years old, my mum took me to the park and bought me an ice cream. I was playing and than some kids came, grabbed my hand and threw the ice cream away and pushed me (I don't know why). My mum saw this and she started shouting at them, the kids went away but later they came back with their mums. The other kids mums were making fun of my mums english and called her stupid whilst calling her other horrible stuff. This just annoys me so much and people in shops know what people are saying but pretend they don't know what the person is saying to tease them and think they're stupid just because they speak broken english. Smh
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me personally no
As long as she speaks it well enough to be understood. I'm hopeless speaking the language of my own race btw, I'd be laughed at the moment I step on Chinese soil on my own
No. Sometimes it can be annoying like if u have a teacher who does it.
Reply 4
I don't think so at all. It is all down to someone's interpretation of the language they speak and if they speak it differently it makes them unique not stupid.
Why would I find someone who speaks multiple languages stupid?
Original post by Zargabaath
Why would I find someone who speaks multiple languages stupid?

Exactly why?
Reply 7
Original post by JEG666
I don't think so at all. It is all down to someone's interpretation of the language they speak and if they speak it differently it makes them unique not stupid.

If they're too lazy to learn the language they're speaking properly, they're lazy - whether they're stupid or not.

However, if they're native speakers of that language, they are stupid.
Reply 8
People need to stop confusing accents and language barriers with lack of intelligence smh
Original post by Tootles
If they're too lazy to learn the language they're speaking properly, they're lazy - whether they're stupid or not.

However, if they're native speakers of that language, they are stupid.

But it could be that they have some speech problems or brain injuries?
Reply 10
While I think people should definitely endeavour to become fluent in the main language of the country/region they live in, it is absurd to suggest that someone is stupid for speaking in their 2nd (or more) language not so well as their first. I wonder if any of those insulting her even spoke a 2nd language lol
Original post by coconut64
But it could be that they have some speech problems or brain injuries?
*******s. You can tell if they're lazy/stupid or have an impediment of whatever nature. Unless the majority of people round where I live are brain damaged beyond any hope of repair.

Speech problems manifest in a different way anyway, not as broken lexicon/grammar. I have speech impediments.
Original post by Raizelcadres
When I was around 9 years old, my mum took me to the park and bought me an ice cream. I was playing and than some kids came, grabbed my hand and threw the ice cream away and pushed me (I don't know why). My mum saw this and she started shouting at them, the kids went away but later they came back with their mums. The other kids mums were making fun of my mums english and called her stupid whilst calling her other horrible stuff. It just annoys me as people in shops know what people are saying but do it on purpose to tease them and think they're stupid just because they speak broken english

I'd consider those who have bigoted views against people who speak broken English to be stupid <3.
Reply 13
If they're foreign no, if they're clearly brought up here yes [exceptions for scots/welsh/irish/regional dialects] however the people who bop around saying things like 'skeen, fam, innit, blud' and so on i consider to be educationally sub-normal.
Original post by Napp
If they're foreign no, if they're clearly brought up here yes [exceptions for scots/welsh/irish/regional dialects] however the people who bop around saying things like 'skeen, fam, innit, blud' and so on i consider to be educationally sub-normal.

Well sometimes use things such as 'fam' and 'innit' mockingly and it forms the basis of their own vocab.

For example here in Yorkshire I use words such as ' sket' 'peng' etc. These are seen as chavvy but I'm definitely educated. I suppose it just depends where you are :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Well sometimes use things such as 'fam' and 'innit' mockingly and it forms the basis of their own vocab.

For example here in Yorkshire I use words such as ' sket' 'peng' etc. These are seen as chavvy but I'm definitely educated. I suppose it just depends where you are :tongue:

Oh yes, I do agree with that I more meant the pikey sorts you'dfind sitting on Mopeds and BMX's outside a council estate or park where if you hear them speak you need a translator.. the Jeremy Kyle sort!
Original post by Napp

The entire population of my selective grammar school which regularly achieves really good results is educationally sub-normal? Oh heck...
Reply 17
Original post by Retired_Messiah
The entire population of my selective grammar school which regularly achieves really good results is educationally sub-normal? Oh heck...

If your entire grammar school can't speak the Queens English and just simple Pigeon English then yes.
Original post by Napp
If your entire grammar school can't speak the Queens English and just simple Pigeon English then yes.

That's a different thing to throwing the words fam and innit around though, innit fam?
I would view them as unsophisticated and poor communicators, but not necessarily lacking in intelligence. At worst, depending on how it was broken, I might see them as lowbrow.

Someone speaking with a British RP accent tends to leave the opposite impression... that they're really sophisticated and worldly, even if they're not more intelligent.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest