The Student Room Group

Why was I sent a letter after my 17th birthday ordering me to register to vote?

This happened seven months ago but I am still somewhat confused by this. I understand that compulsory registration plays an important role in combatting electoral fraud, but I wonder if the letter was sent by mistake as the voting age is 18 and I'm currently 17.It also threatened me with an eighty pound fine if I didn't register, which is absurd as I'm a full time secondary school student meaning that I'm not even earning any money yet.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Palette
This happened seven months ago but I am still somewhat confused by this. I understand that compulsory registration plays an important role in combatting electoral fraud, but I wonder if the letter was sent by mistake as the voting age is 18 and I'm currently 17.It also threatened me with an eighty pound fine if I didn't register, which is absurd as I'm a full time secondary school student meaning that I'm not even earning any money yet.

No, if i remember correctly i signed to add my name at 16. By not registering you end up doing your credit rating harm so why not do it :smile:
Reply 2
I had a letter making me register to vote when I turned 16. I ignored it several times until about 5 months later when I realised that the letter said that they would fine me if I didn't register :lol:

In that process of registering, I realised I didn't know my NI number, had to get that sent to me again because I must have thrown away the letter without really looking at it because I didn't think it was important :rolleyes: I then had to register, without my NI number, then I got a letter just asking for my NI number, then another asking me to register. Again.
:lol:
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
No, if i remember correctly i signed to add my name at 16. By not registering you end up doing your credit rating harm so why not do it :smile:

I'm still confused as to why they make you do it at 16/17 when the voting age is 18.
Original post by Palette
I'm still confused as to why they make you do it at 16/17 when the voting age is 18.

So that people get it sorted in plenty of time.
Original post by Palette

So that people get it sorted in plenty of time.

This is correct. You can register to vote before turning 18. However, you will not be able to actually vote until you are 18. I was also 16 when I registered.

It affects your credit rating?!? :afraid:
Original post by adesola15
It affects your credit rating?!? :afraid:

Well it's supposedly not good for getting credit if you aren't on the electoral roll
Original post by Gogregg
I had a letter making me register to vote when I turned 16. I ignored it several times until about 5 months later when I realised that the letter said that they would fine me if I didn't register :lol:

In that process of registering, I realised I didn't know my NI number, had to get that sent to me again because I must have thrown away the letter without really looking at it because I didn't think it was important :rolleyes: I then had to register, without my NI number, then I got a letter just asking for my NI number, then another asking me to register. Again.
:lol:

What has your national insurance number have to do with voting? It's used for when you get a job or claim benefits etc. I never got a letter forcing me to register. I voluntarily registered but I've never voted so it was pointless. The fine thing must be new or a scam (phone the number on the letter to make sure it's legit or not)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by samzy21
The fine thing must be new or a scam (phone the number on the letter to make sure it's legit or not)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not new. And it's not a scam.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18179075

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

I'm 17 and I'm not earning any money yet. Had I decided to be foolish and ignored the letter, who would have paid the fine? I'm just talking about hypothetical scenarios here; I did indeed register.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm confused. I don't remember getting asked to register to vote until I was 18 and I certainly don't remember being threatened with a fine if I didn't. That was 2011 though if something has changed since. If registering to vote is compulsory, then how come so many hadn't before the referendum vote?
Reply 12
Original post by Palette
I'm 17 and I'm not earning any money yet. Had I decided to be foolish and ignored the letter, who would have paid the fine? I'm just talking about hypothetical scenarios here; I did indeed register.

You would. Same as if you were a driver and get a speeding ticket. U18s aren't immune...
Original post by samzy21
What has your national insurance number have to do with voting? It's used for when you get a job or claim benefits etc. I never got a letter forcing me to register. I voluntarily registered but I've never voted so it was pointless. The fine thing must be new or a scam (phone the number on the letter to make sure it's legit or not)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it was definitely legit :h:
Original post by Palette

Rhe law does not care how much you are earning,
If you parked in a yellow line, you can't say I don't earn enough to pay...lol
It's the law to register to vote....whether you vote of not is your prerogative.
Original post by Gogregg
No, it was definitely legit :h:

Of course it is legit....you don't just register to vote the day you turn 18, suppose there is an election that day.
They force you to register to vote so they can track you down more easily if they decide you owe them money.

]Outside of elections the voter registry is a nice debt-chasing tool.

As an example on the run up to the Scottish independence referendum, tons of Scots registered to vote or updated their information, and found themselves chased for fines/debts.
Reply 17
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
They force you to register to vote so they can track you down more easily if they decide you owe them money.

]Outside of elections the voter registry is a nice debt-chasing tool.

As an example on the run up to the Scottish independence referendum, tons of Scots registered to vote or updated their information, and found themselves chased for fines/debts.

That they had incurred and therefore should pay...
Reply 18
Original post by jneill

If voter registration is compulsory, where do the news stories about 'last minute rushes from younger voter to vote for the EU referendum' come from? They wouldn't have rushed it if they were sent letters before they turned 18 ordering them to register to vote (like I was).
Original post by jneill

Just the messenger, buddy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending