The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IdeasForLife
It leads to people giving up Islamic obligations and recommended practices.

Not obligations which are both beneficial to both themselves and society. Can you give an example of one?
Original post by h333
Wearing a niqab if the woman chooses to is not harming them or others, if they are doing with good intention and for the love of Allah swt. As I said if it is required for them to show their face in certain places, then they should. I know some women that wear it in the UK and they don't feel like they are harming themselves at all. It is not their fault if people stereotype, discriminate and show prejudice.

Of course it isn't their fault they're getting abused, that's a bit obvious.

But what you don't understand is that the stereotype for muslims is getting out of hand as time goes on.
People often associate radical islam with the niqab, thus this triggers the hate and xenophobic comments.

Though it is righteous to show your compassion for Allah (swt) in a time of chaos, it may not be the best option, especially when there are other bigger, more righteous deeds you can commit to, If that makes sense?

As I've said, I'm not against the niqab, I'm just worried that it may not be a safe option to wear it in times like this.

(Now you could counter argue and claim: 'oh but what if you claim in 29 years that wearing a hijaab or any sort of head covering isn't safe',

But, that isn't even an argument on its own, there is concrete evidence for that. Hence, to question that would be to go against the rule of Allah.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zayn is Bae
Not obligations which are both beneficial to both themselves and society. Can you give an example of one?

There is no benefit from disobeying Allah when even the law defends you carrying out that obligation (e.g. niqab).

(in the case of those people who do view it as compulsory)
(edited 7 years ago)
Ive been summoned.

There are two views with regards to Niqab : Obligatory and highly recommended. They both have significant proofs. I will just highlight that Niqab is from Islam.

Allah says:

O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

Abdullah ibn Abbas explained this verse saying: "Allah commanded the believing women to cover their faces from above their heads with the jilbaab, leaving only one eye showing, when they went out of their houses for some need."

And the tafseer of a companion is a proof. Indeed, some of the scholars have said that it bears the ruling of a statement attributed to the Prophet. As for Ibn Abbas statement: "... leaving only one eye showing," this was only permitted for necessity in order to see the way. But if there is no need, then it is not necessary to reveal an eye. As for jilbaab, it is a loose cloak worn over the khimaar in the place of the Aba'ah. Umm Salamah said that when the verse was revealed "the women of the ansar went out as if they had crows on their heads, due to their piety and they were wearing black cloaks."

Ubaidah as Salami and others have stated that the wives of the believers used to draw their cloaks around them above their heads, so that nothing could be seen except their eyes, and this was in order for them to see the way.

[Sheikh Ibn Uthaymeen, A treatise on hijab,p.17]

Sheikh Al Abani writes:

Know that covering of the face and the wrists has its basis in the sunnah. And this was an action that was done during the time of the Prophet as is shown by his statement narrated by Bukhari:

"The women in the state of ihraam should not wear a niqaab, nor should she wear gloves."

Sheikh Al Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah in his tafseer of soorat un noor said:

And this is what shows that the niqaab and the gloves used to be something common for the women who were not in the state of Ihraam, and from this also is a basis for the legality of covering the face and the wrists. [Majmoo' al fatawa (15/276)]

[Sheikh Al Albani, Jilbaab Almaraat al muslimat, p.64]

Sheikh Ibn Uthaymeen writes:

It is reported on the authority of 'Aishah that she said "The riders used to pass by us while we were in a state of Ihraam with the messenger of Allah. Whenever they came close to us, each of us would let her jilbaab fall from her head so that it covered her face, then once they had passed us, we would uncover our faces." [Imam Ahmad (24522), Abu Dawood (1833)]

Her words: "... and whenever they came close to us, each of us would let her jilbab fall her head so that it covered her face." is proof that it is obligatory for a woman to cover her face, because it is legislated during ihraam for a woman to uncover it. If there was no strong prohibition for covering at that time, they would have left their faces uncovered. This is because uncovering the face during ihram is obligatory for women, according to the majority of scholars - and an obligation cannot be contradicted,except by another obligation. Therefore, if it was not obligatory to veil and cover the face from unrelated men, it would not be permissible to abandon the obligation to uncover the face while in a state of ihraam.

[Sheikh Ibn Uthaymeen, A Treatise on Hijab, p.24]
Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
Ive been summoned.

There are two views with regards to Niqab : Obligatory and highly recommended. They both have significant proofs. I will just highlight that Niqab is from Islam.

Allah says:

O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

Abdullah ibn Abbas explained this verse saying: "Allah commanded the believing women to cover their faces from above their heads with the jilbaab, leaving only one eye showing, when they went out of their houses for some need."

And the tafseer of a companion is a proof. Indeed, some of the scholars have said that it bears the ruling of a statement attributed to the Prophet. As for Ibn Abbas statement: "... leaving only one eye showing," this was only permitted for necessity in order to see the way. But if there is no need, then it is not necessary to reveal an eye. As for jilbaab, it is a loose cloak worn over the khimaar in the place of the Aba'ah. Umm Salamah said that when the verse was revealed "the women of the ansar went out as if they had crows on their heads, due to their piety and they were wearing black cloaks."

Ubaidah as Salami and others have stated that the wives of the believers used to draw their cloaks around them above their heads, so that nothing could be seen except their eyes, and this was in order for them to see the way.

[Sheikh Ibn Uthaymeen, A treatise on hijab,p.17]

Sheikh Al Abani writes:

Know that covering of the face and the wrists has its basis in the sunnah. And this was an action that was done during the time of the Prophet as is shown by his statement narrated by Bukhari:

"The women in the state of ihraam should not wear a niqaab, nor should she wear gloves."

Sheikh Al Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah in his tafseer of soorat un noor said:

And this is what shows that the niqaab and the gloves used to be something common for the women who were not in the state of Ihraam, and from this also is a basis for the legality of covering the face and the wrists. [Majmoo' al fatawa (15/276)]

[Sheikh Al Albani, Jilbaab Almaraat al muslimat, p.64]

Sheikh Ibn Uthaymeen writes:

It is reported on the authority of 'Aishah that she said "The riders used to pass by us while we were in a state of Ihraam with the messenger of Allah. Whenever they came close to us, each of us would let her jilbaab fall from her head so that it covered her face, then once they had passed us, we would uncover our faces." [Imam Ahmad (24522), Abu Dawood (1833)]

Her words: "... and whenever they came close to us, each of us would let her jilbab fall her head so that it covered her face." is proof that it is obligatory for a woman to cover her face, because it is legislated during ihraam for a woman to uncover it. If there was no strong prohibition for covering at that time, they would have left their faces uncovered. This is because uncovering the face during ihram is obligatory for women, according to the majority of scholars - and an obligation cannot be contradicted,except by another obligation. Therefore, if it was not obligatory to veil and cover the face from unrelated men, it would not be permissible to abandon the obligation to uncover the face while in a state of ihraam.

[Sheikh Ibn Uthaymeen, A Treatise on Hijab, p.24]

Jzk Tmg :hat2:
Original post by Zayn is Bae

Bottom line, the choice of wearing a niqaab should be given to all muslims.
To deny the niqab is the same as to force the niqab upon them.

However, I still feel at the bottom of my heart that we shouldn't be advocating it.
Emphasis should be placed on the hijaab/khimaar.
Reply 906
Original post by mercuryman
Of course it isn't their fault they're getting abused, that's a bit obvious.

But what you don't understand is that the stereotype for muslims is getting out of hand as time goes on.
People often associate radical islam with the niqab, thus this triggers the hate and xenophobic comments.

Though it is righteous to show your compassion for Allah (swt) in a time of chaos, it may not be the best option, especially when there are other bigger, more righteous deeds you can commit to, If that makes sense?

As I've said, I'm not against the niqab, I'm just worried that it may not be a safe option to wear it in times like this.

(Now you could counter argue and claim: 'oh but what if you claim in 29 years that wearing a hijaab or any sort of head covering isn't safe',

But, that isn't even an argument on its own, there is concrete evidence for that. Hence, to question that would be to go against the rule of Allah.

I know but it is a shame that an educated (or shall I say civilised) society like to easily discriminate women wearing niqab instead of looking at individual's character beforehand. I feel this is a bigger issue and humiliation for a society. Every individual should control their hatred towards others.
Original post by h333
I know but it is a shame that an educated (or shall I say civilised) society like to easily discriminate women wearing niqab instead of looking at individual's character beforehand. I feel this is a bigger issue and humiliation for a society. Every individual should control their hatred towards others.

I agree! But we need to realise that not everyone in society thinks like this and is gifted with good manners and integrity. It's just something we have to prepare for in life, I guess. :redface:
Reply 908
Original post by mercuryman
I agree! But we need to realise that not everyone in society thinks like this and is gifted with good manners and integrity. It's just something we have to prepare for in life, I guess. :redface:

Insha'Allah we will be fine as long as we keep our trust in Allah and have taqwa. Our beloved prophet SAW went through much worse and the previous prophets (pbu them all). Islam will always be talked about in a good and bad way by others. No human is perfect but we should try our best to maintain our good character and manners insha'Allah. :smile:

May Allah help us all and forgive us. Ameen.
Reply 909
There is no benefit from disobeying Allah when even the law defends you carrying out that obligation (e.g. niqab).

(in the case of those people who do view it as compulsory)

And I've explained that not many view it as compulsory, the majority who ear it don't even view it as compulsory, just an extension of "modesty". Regardless, that's besides the point. Do you view it as compulsory, and if not do you agree with the points put forward?
The Mujtahideen of tsr have come out in force today. Alhamdulillah for the guidance of these individuals, who needs fu'qahaa ammirite?
Original post by h333

May Allah help us all and forgive us. Ameen.

Ameen.
Original post by Ibn Fulaan
The Mujtahideen of tsr have come out in force today. Alhamdulillah for the guidance of these individuals, who needs fu'qahaa ammirite?

:biggrin:
TSR Scholar crew reppin' it deep.
Reply 915
Everything that is wrong comes from us not Islam.

What's everyone's favourite type of Samosa?
Reply 917
Original post by Inve

Chicken, potatoes, peas, sweetcorn
Original post by Inve

I've never thought this deeply about samosas before.
Original post by Tpos
Chicken, potatoes, peas, sweetcorn

Hmm. You had it right until sweetcorn. Keep your heathen sweetcorn

I've never thought this deeply about samosas before.

Prepare for your cultural foundations to be shaken

Latest

Trending

Trending